Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: can this be down?, ....forum suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Iksion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 22 2006, 08:51

Ok,is there any possibility thet we get some place here to talk about books,movies and other stuff thet isnt related to mike? or can we talk on it at general ? thx for reading :)

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2006, 13:37

sounds like a good idea!!!

Great!!

As long as we don't get threads about nuns. Those are too far over the edge!!  :laugh:

btw: not spoken on msn a long time. So hope to speak to you soon!!!  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2006, 14:28

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Nov. 22 2006, 13:37)
As long as we don't get threads about nuns. Those are too far over the edge!!  :laugh:

LOL! Yea i didnt saw you too on msn :) And once again it woud be great to have new threed :):):)

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 22 2006, 17:17

I think it's a good idea, but we should ask Inkanta first I think  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 30 2006, 04:22

strange.......

i had the same thought too...  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 01 2006, 02:42

Why not just use General Discussion?  Or join a non-MO board?  This board can't do everything.  There are other boards!

Also, there are already way too many rarely-posted-in forums here.  But I go on about that more than enough.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2006, 06:46

Thet is what i asked.. Is it better to use general or to create a new threed? Heh...

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 01 2006, 07:44

Quote (Moz @ Dec. 01 2006, 02:42)
There are other boards.
... But I go on about that more than enough.

MORE than enough indeed.
Stop complaining  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 02 2006, 11:26

I can see several povs here and Olivier, Korg, and I will catch up about this (we've been on the road). I joined a few other forums this past year. One must have unlimited funds--there is as much non-relevant stuff on there as on-topic and I've mentioned elsewhere there I can hardly find the posts through all the pictures. I can't say that the non-relevant stuff has led to my feeling any greater sense of community, though I participate. On the other hand, I joined a forum quieter than this one. There are a few non-relevant topics, like here, but all in all, somehow things manage to be about the music (band members post there, as well). Guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I feel very at home on that one.

'Suppose a compromise might be to have a completely non-relevant forum on this Board, where we have threads about books, movies, whatever (maybe called Lost In Static 18 ;)  ) and keep only the current year.  What do you think??  Actually, Meet and Greet was designed as a section for people to get to know each other, though movies, books, calculus homework, etc. is outside that (though even on the relevant topics, every time someone posts we get to know him/her a bit better, just by virtue of the post).

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2006, 23:29

Tonight we discussed forum options. The bottom line is that for now we prefer that tubular.net remain a fairly targeted Mike Oldfield Board.

I will add that there are many other cyberspots to discuss movies, books, etc., and in the current web environment with all the social software and networking opportunities, few people rely on one Board to meet all their needs. As I mentioned earlier, we do have the "Meet and Greet" forum to use for getting to know each other. BTW, we have had book discussions besides The Songs of Distant Earth. I'd have to do a search to doublecheck, but it seems like the topic was tied into Mike--What books does Mike read....or...maybe Books that I'd like to recommend to Mike (now...if that topic doesn't exist, that could be added to the General Discussion ;)  ). Recently we had fun with Snakes on a Plane. Only figuratively. :O Mike's music actually ended up somewhere within the discussion. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2006, 23:37

Quote (Inkanta @ Dec. 02 2006, 22:29)
I will add that there are many other cyberspots to discuss movies, books, etc.,

(As Moz said... :)  )

Moz and Piltdownboy--indeed--there are plenty of forums--what are your current thoughts on combining or deleting?

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2006, 04:54

This thread is one of many recent topics where something is asked or suggested and people say "brilliant! do it!"  without really thinking about whether the idea will last in the long term. I find this rather frustrating.  People did the same thing in Leafy's thread about setting up an "international music community". When I pointed out that a similar site had already been set up (as a result of people asking for it), some people said "leave Leafy alone, let him do it anyway".

There is no sense of continuity - people are more focused on short-term changes than long-term changes.  If everyone asked for a new forum here, this place would have a lot of forums that only one or two people post in.  It's also a shame to see lots of people supporting an idea but very few people actually participating in it.

I'm sorry if my reply misinterpreted the first post on this thread.  But it just sounded like a post where someone wants this board to do everything for them.  With Mike not releasing anything at the moment I can understand why General Discussion is busier than the other forums, but since when was it a requirement for this place to be busy?  Sure, I posted a thread saying this place was quiet, but it was a perception more than anything else.

Sorry piltdownboy, but you seem to think everything is a good idea.  Sometimes it helps to think "how will this benefit the wider community?"  Remember that this is a MO community.

Inkanta, I am happy to hear that the admins would like this board to stay as a targeted MO board.  Ultimately that is its strength and it's why people visit in the first place.  Of course it is good to have the General Discussion forum for members to post non-MO topics, but anything more than that would push the board closer to being multi-topic, i.e. trying to do too much and not doing anything all that well.

My earlier comments regarding forum changes are at the end of the following thread: http://tubular.net/forums....;t=6721

Going back over the forums again, I have the following comments.

I would personally remove the following forums:
Polls and Opinions (polls are better in the album-specific forums, otherwise they aren't all that useful)
Q&A (put in General)
TubularTech (seems to be a forum for producers, there are plenty of other boards that provide this)
Meet and greet (again, use General)
Other artists (many other musicians have targeted fan sites!;)
Ads (use ebay!;).

I would combine the following forums into a new forum called "Concerts and DVDs":
Rarities & Concerts
Berlin 2000
Elements
Exposed
Live at Montreux
Miscellaneous

The Gallery forums I think would be better as a Flickr group.  I have the Mike Oldfield group if you're interested.  Or a gallery script on the tubular.net web site.  That would make it a lot easier to see the pics!

Also - see how the Maestro and Tres Lunas forums have several subforums within them?  Why not do the same with the album forums?  Perhaps have a "forum quick jump" drop down list at the top of every page to help with this.  If it's possible to add HTML to the header of this board then I could do this for you quite quickly.

edit: don't forget there is another thread on a similar subject here: http://tubular.net/forums....12;st=0

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2006, 05:48

Quote (Inkanta @ Dec. 03 2006, 04:29)
Tonight we discussed forum options. The bottom line is that for now we prefer that tubular.net remain a fairly targeted Mike Oldfield Board.

I think that's a good decision. To open it up more would change the essential character of the board - and while change can be a good thing, in this case I think it would be a loss. The reason we keep coming back to this board over and over again even when there are dull patches is because its fundamental character is attractive; because it is closely targeted to Mike Oldfield. It's possible to come here and get a dose of Mike even when Mike himself is doing nothing new.

I would however be very sorry to see 'Other artists' disappear. This is one of the few places where we can legitimately spread our wings a little while still remaining Oldfield-centred overall. Furthermore, it's the obvious place to discuss artists who do have a link with Mike, even if it's tenuous. For instance, I like to have a place where I can chat about Steeleye Span a bit, here, partly because Maddy Prior has a Mike Oldfield connection, and partly because the music itself shares certain Oldfield characteristics. That gives the thing a different flavour that can't be had anywhere else.

I suspect many people have their equivalent. In that 'other artists' thread, for instance, we've often been able to discuss someone like Kate Bush in an interesting way because Mike Oldfield fans are likely to have a significantly different take on things. So please don't remove it.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2006, 10:57

Thanks for your thoughts, Moz and Alan. Actually a couple of us have discussed combining the Polls and Q&A and cascading the albums into subforums. Life didn't come to an end when the lyrics and language forum was removed last year, so we know it's possible. The Gallery came up in our chat last night, as well. I'd like to hang on to the "other artists" forum & the "meet and greet" one  to help the GD remain as on-topic as possible.

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 03 2006, 11:23

Quote (Inkanta @ Dec. 02 2006, 23:37)
Moz and Piltdownboy--indeed--there are plenty of forums--what are your current thoughts on combining or deleting?

Oops, I've been COMPLETELY misunderstood!!!!!!!!!!

I like Iksions idea, and meant that MOZ has to stop complaining. I didn't like his answer at all. So I meant that he indeed said more than enough about this. (which means too much)

But about the threads. I think it should be mainly about Mike yes, but a little fun corner is great. So that's why I supported Iksions idea and I understood what Moz meant, but I didn't like the tone in his reply.

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2006, 17:57

Piltdownboy - I was asked for my opinions, and I posted my comments.  If people disagree with what I've said then I'm not going to push my ideas further.

There is a big difference between complaining and providing constructive feedback.  I may have issues with things but I always give a clear and honest reply.

It does feel like people forget that this is primarily a Mike Oldfield community, not the one and only board on the Internet that has to cover every possible topic under the sun.  That is what I am hoping to address with my comments.  I'm sorry if you think they are all poor ideas.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2006, 18:23

Indeed, I was (am) interested in members' constructive comments and suggestions--and, this isn't anything new--we're always interested in such things. :)  It doesn't mean that all of them will be or can be implemented due to time, expense, or philosophy, but some things have been and will be. In the end, it is up to the wishes and vision of our site owner, under whose kind auspices we have this medium to interact and build community.

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 04 2006, 01:30

Ok, I'll see what will happen  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2006, 08:36

Hello all,

This is a rather interesting topic. I have recently witnessed a similar situation, whereby the constituents of the forum (i.e. the members) felt differently to the board moderators. They were and are a lot more strict than here, and tolerate no deviation whatsoever. They were restrictive to the point of limiting people's personalities, which personally I think is wrong. I saw it a time before it kicked off and rejoined as a ghost member.

Whilst this particular matter is closed, I find it interesting that the default position of all moderators is that the board belongs to them. On one hand, of course it does, without question, because they are the people who keep the site running with the day to day tasks and ensuring that problems are dealt with. However, when a voice is supressed, it can lead to very bad feeling.

I don't think that's happened here, because I hope the rest of the contributors here will realise the mods are trying to act in the boards best interests. I wish I could say the same for my other home  :/ .

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2006, 08:53

This site is the only one I am on regularly.

It is set up excellently and runs very smoothly - even my car breaks down more often!!!

I tent to look at new posts and that works for me.  So I dont care where you store things - there is a search facility that I sometimes remember to use.

Dont get rid of tubular tech - or if you do replace it with Mike's instrument and equipment set up topic - you could simplify this and call it tubular tech - just a thought   :D .

Well done those who set it up - and by the way who does own it?

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
42 replies since Nov. 22 2006, 08:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net