Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Can someone explain to me what 'bootlegs' are?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2000, 20:03

Why are they banned or considered not right for this board?

Yet some of the tracks on them are still available as mp3s on rare MO sites
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 01 2000, 22:37

I don't think it's right to sell non-official CDs, i.e. bootlegs. Exchanging MP3 files of concerts or unofficial tracks is OK for me, although Mike probably disagrees with that, because if the tracks are rare, it's because he doesn't like them. As long as we don't make money by selling these tracks, it seems that record companies and Mike's management will let us exchange music. But we shouldn't do money with it, because we have to repsect Mike, he has to make money each time his music is sold, it would be totally unfair to sell bootlegs.

So, what I call a bootleg is an unofficial CD that is sold. I think it's the right definition. If not, just let me know. Maybe I should precise 'commercial bootleg', it would be more clear.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2000, 15:19

What is the bootleg chorus (on TB pt. 2)?

Why is the dog on the back of HR called bootleg?
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2000, 11:07

To Olivier : Yes, this might be a good definition. Home Made CD that are sold should be consider as "bootleg", and must be banned. It's great that Mike, his management and record compagnies let us share some of very rare tracks. Maybe because we - true fans - will systematicly buy all offical CD ! So this is a gift that Mike give us : the implicit 'right' to exchange unofficial, rare MP3 Home Made CD and Home Made Artwork ! ;)

To 2dg : I don't know why the dog is name Bootleg. Where did you find the 'bootleg chorus' mentioned for TB pt 2 please ?

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2000, 18:02

I've seen the bootle chorus mentioned somewhere, but I can't find it again on the copies I have immediately to hand (perhaps it was on the old cassette copy I have somewhere). I have no idea what it is, though - perhaps it's the howling in the caveman bit (sounding like Bootleg the dog, who must have been at The Manor in '73 as well).

I'd guess the dog was called that because someone liked the name...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2000, 19:31

To Olivier and GMOWJ: I completely agree with you about bootleg CDs and free exchange of rare tracks.

To 2distorted: Once I read an interview with Simon Heyworth somewhere... I don't remember where [surely not on Tubular Web wink]...according to him, the "Bootleg Chorus" on TB part 2 is Mike, Tom Newman and himself doing HEY's during the Piltdown Man bit. (They're credited as "Manor Choir conducted by Mike Oldfield" on my TB CD cover...) Heyworth also said that MO called the HEY's "Bootleg Chorus" because they sounded very like an audience screaming HEY during a live performance as recorded on a bootleg disc... smile

I don't know anything at all about the dog. biggrin

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 08-09-2000).]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2000, 09:02

Oh yes, Ugo ! I understand what it is ! I would like to add that I think that "HEY" are much clearer on 'Boxed Edition (vinyl) Quad'... They're really making a rythm like "Hoo! Hey! Hoo! Hey! Hoo! Hey!", it's one of my favorites part in TB2 Part 2 ! Thanks Ugo, very interesting ! I Hope you'll find this article and post it !

Korgscrew : wink Yes, that's the best reason to name the dog Bootleg...

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2000, 20:03

I always thought it was 'Hoo-ray' they were shouting...I hope this isn't going to spark of a silly lyrics discussion wink
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2000, 15:28

I thought they were shouting "Boot-leg". But I have probably the worst version of TB there is (CDV2001) and so a lot of things are unclear
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 15 2000, 16:39

I checked it out on both CDV2001 and CDVX2001 (= 25th Anniversary), and it sounds like 'Boot-leg' to me.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2000, 17:06

Maybe it's in fact neither, but some words cleverly made up to ensure that fans will spend ages trying to guess what they are...the other question is, did you think they were shouting bootleg before you knew that bit was called the bootleg chorus? wink
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2000, 16:02

I didn't really have a chance to
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 08:45

I know this is a really silly lyrics discussion, but wink anyway, :
- When I only owned regular CD, I though it was 'Hoo-Hey', not very loud...
- When I get Boxed, I could hear 'bHooo Hey', very much clearer and louder.
- Then I got (since 2 days now) HDCD, and I was working, listening it only with one ear, a few minutes ago... When Amarok player arrived to "Piltdown Man/Bootleg Chorus", I clearly heard "Boot-leg"... I wasn't cheking it at all (!!) - I was working - but it jumped to my ear very clearly that they are shouting "boo-(t)leg".
By the way I must admint that this remastered 'HDCD' or '25th' is very good. Maybe equal to Boxed.
Cheers,
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2000, 19:05

To take this even further (well, not really)...
Listening to my 25th Anniversary remaster now on some highly trusted speakers, I can only say that...it sounds a bit like both hoo-ray and boot-le...boo-reg anyone? wink
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2000, 19:01

Hey 2distorted, what do you mean, CDV2001 is the worst version there is? Isn't it just the version that was originally released on vinyl and sold all those millions of copies? I've got CDV2001 as well (by the way, remarkable, no? CDV2001!), and I couldn't stand the thought that I've got the worst version there is! (I've also got Boxed though, on vinyl, but I always listen to the CD.) Which version, in your (or anyone else's) opinion, is the best?
Profile PM WEB 
14 replies since Aug. 01 2000, 20:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net