[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Buy Light + Shade online< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
James Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2005, 07:33

Hi
There is naturally the standard uk release uk Pounds 9.99
I heard somewhere there is a two track bonus import
A 5.1 mix which will emerge later?when u need to pay Mercury all over again.Probably be on a dvd and may include a game or other freebie or something to enhance its selling --ahem!..

I wonder if this dual CD will embrace the current trends and be downloadable for a further reduced price. :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2005, 13:54

Quote (James @ Sep. 04 2005, 07:33)
There is naturally the standard uk release uk Pounds 9.99
I heard somewhere there is a two track bonus import

Where do you get the info about the UK release...? I can't find it on amazon, play, or HMV.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
James Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 16:41

Terry

http://www1.cd-wow.com/detail_results.php?product_code=21142
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 19:54

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 01 2005, 17:23)
 ummm... why is NO ONE sharing?  

I heared that the pre release cd was copy protected. plus Alex put a lot of effort into getting that cd and he's not likely to upset the label now for the next release.

But i am worried that the CDnow does not list bonus tracks, and I've just paid for it. Any one got more info on that?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 21:09

Well I just ordered and paid for my copy, wanted to do it through HMV to help out Dark Star but this one was cheaper, I hope I haven't missed out on any bonus tracks. Does anyone know where CDWOW is based? Just wondering how long it will take to get to me. I already ordered it through my local music store but they quoted me $32 and this order came to $23, so will cancel.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 07:00

Quote (James @ Sep. 05 2005, 16:41)
Terry

http://www1.cd-wow.com/detail_results.php?product_code=21142

Thanks James... I didn't realise that CD-WOW was a UK supplier. Whenever I've bought anything from them in the past it's actually come in the post from Hong Kong or Australia!

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
James Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 09:48

I must confess I dont know this companies country of origin.
The fact that they are apparently offering free delivery along with the pound sterling sign on the page I visited would suggest it is UK based or at least have a distribution network in the UK.It's probably a multi national company thinking about it with it's .com status hmmmm anyone know for sure ?

Price seems a lot too good to be true.I hope it's correct. :)
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 13:12

I've ordered stuff from this outfit before and it has alway's delivered.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 13:27

Mike would be VERY SMART to allow distribution of this album worldwide through iTunes by Apple.  He is a MAC fanatic so it seems the ideal thing to do and most cost effective for us, the fans, and for Mike and Mercury records!  

Discuss (talk amongst yourselves) :)

Chris

PS I buy most of my music through iTunes these days as I don't like CD's... they are bulky and get in the way.  And iTunes has all the artwork digitally with the albums, usually, so you can print out your own sleeve if you wish.  It is hopefully going to be the future of music!
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 14:23

I've ordered my copy of Light and Shade from CD WOW.  It definitely delivers to UK.
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 23:47

Mike would be VERY SMART to allow distribution of this album worldwide through iTunes by Apple.  He is a MAC fanatic so it seems the ideal thing to do and most cost effective for us, the fans, and for Mike and Mercury records!  

Discuss (talk amongst yourselves) :)

Chris

PS I buy most of my music through iTunes these days as I don't like CD's... they are bulky and get in the way.  And iTunes has all the artwork digitally with the albums, usually, so you can print out your own sleeve if you wish.  It is hopefully going to be the future of music!

I believe Mike moved away from macs after tb2003, and as for iTunes being the future method for music delivery, i certainly f-ing hope not. The very idea of paying real money for a 128k AAC file, no matter how competitively priced compared to CDs it may be, actually causes me physical pain, youd get more sound quality for your money buying a new cassette tape.

The advantage for mike oldfield fans who do use it however, is that because of the length of his work, you can often pay for a song of two, for the pennies it costs and get the whole album.

anyway thats my 5am rant over with, im going to bed, to dream up imaginative schemes for breaking into HMV the night before the release of the new album.

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 23:54

Hi Duggeh, welcome to the site, love your avatar. If you want to quote someone, you just need to click the quote button above their post, saves you typing it all out. Cheers.

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 07 2005, 03:32

I tunes are okfor the casual buyer who may
want to Cherry pick a album .. but most fans like
the physical experience of owning the CD.. plus the
Quality... Also a lot of Artists prefer there Albums
to be listened to in the designated Tk Order rather
than mixed and matched on a I pod !!
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2005, 18:13

last quick scan before I went to bed and found that L&S is available preorder at HMV at £12.99... no tracklisting or cover image but it has appeared there.

Has release date of 26-09-2005 so that's less than two weeks away... that's me taking the day off work then!!!

;)
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 10:26

after much searching I FINALLY found another track from L+S on the net.  this is all i have to say...

OMG SURFING IS FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)  

For the first time since the late 90's I feel like Mike Oldfield's guitar skills are back along with his much missing writing skills!!!!!  I hope they remix the hell out of this track!!!!! :)

Now who ever wants to get mad at me for being impatient go ahead but dammit I'm sick of waiting on the record company to give us something to sample... and it doesn't matter on what website either!!!!  So don't bother getting on my ass for it either I don't care!!!!!  The track is in mono and 24bit so it's not as if it's great to listen to,, but it's more than I've gotten outta of anyone else!!!!!

Chris
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 11:32

Heard it as well Chritopher and i agree it is an amazing track! With the right remix, this can be a great single.  I've already ordered Light and Shade from cd wow so i don't feel guilty about previewing some tracks.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 11:42

Chicular... i'm addicted i've played this bloody song atleast 20 times now, maybe more.  i'm gonna order mine through amazon and pay alittle more cause i wanna make sure i get the bonus tracks.  and they don't list them through cdwow...

so i'm not prepared to spend 50 dollars, what with fucking Bush and his gas prices here in america on an all time high, to rebuy an album for two tracks!

i'm not sure Surfing is going to keep me held over for another two weeks.  it's just such an amazing track... almost gothic toward the end... which TOTALLY rocks!!!!  i discovered this band through a friend lastnight called "VNV Nation"  it is some of the best techno i've heard in ages!!!!  it'd be awesome if he got them to do the remixes... they have a gothic sound too.

This has put me in SUCH A GOOD MOOD!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 12:47

Noone in america has a right to complain about petrol prices given what we pay thru the nose in the UK.

Thanks for the welcome Tubularbelle, ive been here about a year, and lurked before that, can usually just never be bothered posting though. And the marvelous microsoft powers of copy and paste save me typing out but thanks for the tip.

(I must also get around to finishing that avatar.)

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 13:16

Duggeh you are right... i forgot someone told me lastnight you all are up to 9 dollars over there... that's fucking insane!!!! :(

however, you do have the tube and trains... if ONLY america had such an amazing system outside of major cities like new york atlanta and chicago.  most cities have to drive to get somewhere.  you get run over if you think about riding a bike er something.
Profile PM 
nick best Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 18:23

hi everybody :

according to the amarok website more information from Light + Shade :

'LIGHT'

1. Angelique:

"That's the name of one pre-set on one of my synths. As usual, I start off by just building the music up, and this piece turned out to sound angelic. I can't explain how it happens, as I say I just hit the buttons. I emerge from my studio every three days with a track and I'm exhausted! It feels like giving birth."

2. Blackbird

"I wanted a track with just piano, using one of the last surviving acoustic instruments, my 1928 Steinway. The title comes from one of my motorcycles; I have a garage of 180-mile an hour machines, including a Honda Blackbird. It's a slower track, but the title goes with it the way that Stanley Kubrick used 'Blue Danube' in 2001: A Space Odyssey. When I'm riding, even when I'm going fast, time goes into slow motion. I love working with machines, but then I'm off on my super bikes. I tried flying, and got my license, but it's too stressful. Motorcycles are so relaxing."

3. The Gate

"I wanted to use the virtual vocal software called Vocaloid. If you take the raw sound, it's not that good, but through various plug-ins, you can make it sound beautiful. The title comes from my grandfather, Michael Liston, who was from Cork. I knew he'd disappeared one night and returned three years later, but then I discovered that he'd been drafted into the Munster Fusiliers during WW1, and fought in Ypres in France, where the Menin Gate memorial was built after the war. Visit the museum in Ypres and see what remains of the trenches... for me, this track got exactly that mood."

4. First Steps

"This is compiled of pieces from my Virtual Reality game Tres Lunas. When you begin the game, you're alone in a desert in front of a cactus, and when you move off, this piece of music plays. Robyn Smith, a musical direstor and keyboard player I know, helped me arrange this."

5. Closer

"I heard a hymn at a funeral during my trip to Ypres, and discovered it was called Pres de Toi I liked it so much that I made a Celtic version too. But the strong bagpipes didn't really fit the record I was making, so I turned it into a blues."

6. Our Father

"This is originally a tune from Tres Lunas. I worked on it around the time the pope died, and what a fascinating and wonderful life he had; when he died, it didn't feel like he was gone, and it all just seeped into my consciousness, and ended up with this title. For me, it encapsulates the whole man's lifetime, and his death."

7. Rocky

"That's the name of our horse. He's a beautiful Arabian colt, who always comes to see me and gives me a hug. If we leave him without gelding him, he'll become this really impressive black stallion."

8. Sunset:

"In Maestro, my second Virtual Reality game, there's a specific tune you can only listen to when you reach the winning level. Here, I made a variation on it, but this time around, I was thinking about a chill out album, so I thought it would be nice to call it Sunset."

'SHADE'

1. Quicksilver

"To me, this is not dance music, it's music with a dance beat. In this particular case, I wanted to recreate movement underwater, with dolphins and bubbles. When I lived in Ibiza, I saw dolphins on the bow wave of a ship, which was special."

2. Resolution

"Where I live, in Chalfont St. Giles, there's a memorial to Captain Cook. I'm a real Trekkie and Captain Kirk was based on Captain Cook, whose ship was called Resolution, which travelled to the Antarctic. I made the music sound like ice. But when I was recording, it was the same time as the Iraq war, and somehow all the bits and pieces merged together and that track came out."

3. Slipstream

"I contacted FL Studio and asked if they minded me working on one of the demo songs for their FruityLoops software, because I really liked the riff. They said, absolutely, yes please, and that turned into Slipstream."

4. Surfing

"I overlaid tracks of my vocals mixed with virtual vocals from a software package called Vocaloid , which has a very robotic sound, and this track popped out."

5. Tears Of An Angel

"This track is about the feeling you get when someone is really down, sad, or unwell and you are unable to do anything to help. I was making an operatic kind of track and this was my first use of Vocaloid. I've mixed in my voice too, which makes a nice, thick choral effect."

6. Romance

"The first tune most people learn when they start to play Spanish guitar has these two sides, a minor key and a major ckey. Because I was trying to make a dance version, the major key didn't work, so I ended up with the dark side of romance. When a love affair goes wrong, and couples are hiring lawyers to attack each other."

7. Ringscape

"Another track from Tres Lunas. It comes from a scene when an owl takes you on this journey, across a desert, down a tunnel and into an icicle world. Robyn Smith helped me arrange this one as well."

8. Nightshade

"Christopher von Deylen and I decided we'd work on a track of each other's, so I play guitar on his album of his band Schiller, and he played bass and drums on this track. Besides Robin Smith's involvement, Christopher's the only guest. The rest is all me."
Profile PM 
189 replies since Aug. 31 2005, 13:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net