Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Buy Light + Shade online< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 19:53

Is it confirmed that the CDWOW copy has two less tracks? That would be my luck after ordering through them. What are the two bonus tracks called? I think you must be right because Mike definitely stated there were 18 tracks and Nick has only listed 16. I might have to try and cancel my order, this is very upsetting. I don't want to get mine after everyone else just to get these two extra tracks, why do they do this to us?

What more do you need to do with your avatar Duggeh, it looks finished to me. Do you like mine, my brother painted that for me.

And petrol in Australia has just gone up to $1:40 a litre, it was under a dollar 6 months ago. $9 for how much???

Didn't like the singing in Surfing too much but I have always thought voices got in the way of the music. Still can't wait to hear the whole album, esp disc two.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 07:35

I looked on the UK  HMV and Virgin Sites for any
Pre Order Info !! nothing Yet!! Bit strange as this
release is not exactly 4 months down the Line...
Im buying nothing till im sure its got the Bonus Tracks on
and is good value  :)
Profile PM 
Tubular Freddie Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 17:40

:)

Mike recently playes three tracks from "Light and shade" on polish radio. You can listen to "Our father", "angelique" and "Closer", if you check out this link :
http://personales.ya.com/oma2k/lightshade/

Sounds great  

:D  
You´ve done it again, Mike !

--------------
"Going on means going far. Going far means returning "

Dao Te Ching
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 20:26

Hi Freddie, Welcome to the site!

Most people have access to these tracks as well as 'Surfing' and 'Tears of an Angel', which is probably the best track.

Cheers,
Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2005, 23:16

today i pre-ordered L+S through Amazon.com.  i found the entire album online through an unnamed outlet.  however, here is the real funny part.  i have the entire labum already but it is encrypted... lol.  how funny!  so, i'm using a password breaker to get into the archive so i can hear the album before it arrives.  i'm not very patient as you can tell.

oh well if i don't break into the file... i should get my copy anyway somewhere around september 28th or 29th.  yay!

like everything i've heard so far.  i believe this is the best album so far since the mid-90's!!!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 00:20

So far the whole album just FEELS GOOD... has a GREAT VIBE coming from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 04:46

Ive just looked again on the UK   HMV website....
Its Listed on Advance Search .. Cat No 9873642
No Art Work  No Tk Listings and its  £12 - 99
£3 more than the other quotes !! Maybe this has
the Bonus Tks on !! release on Sept 26th  Not
Long Now :D
Profile PM 
Tubular Freddie Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 13:10

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 11 2005, 20:26)
Hi Freddie, Welcome to the site!

Most people have access to these tracks as well as 'Surfing' and 'Tears of an Angel', which is probably the best track.

Cheers,
Tracy.

Hello Tubular Belle !

Many thanks for welcoming me  :)
Do you know where I can listen to a preview of "Surfing" and "Tears of an Angel" ?

Cheers,
Fredrik

--------------
"Going on means going far. Going far means returning "

Dao Te Ching
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2005, 14:23

hey freddie i have the tracks in mono.  they are great even in mono!!! :)  

and now this is going to sound weird and maybe it's supposed to be like this... but blow up the cover of L+S up on your screen to full size.  look at it like you would those MAGIC EYE photo's from the early-mid 1990's.  i was stairing blankly at my screen and notcied that when you do that you see the ocean clearly and the waves move.  i know it sounds strange but try it!

hugs
chris
Profile PM 
STEFOR Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2005, 21:32

Well here goes -----

I've followed mike since I was six years old (now an old man of 38) and have a massive collection of items from day one right upto present day.  What I'm about to say is going to offend sooo many people on here but I'm sorry I've got to say it.

Just listened to the 4 tracks on the Polish radio site and frankly sat here VERY unimpressed!!!  To me it was, same old - same old!!  Touches of Tres, Voyager and why with the talent of Mike does he do cover versions?

The only track I was taken with was "Something In The Sky" - by Viper!!  Great pretty original track, with touches of Mike on a good day.

I just wish the old spark would come back.  I used to wait outside record shops for the doors to open on release day, but I generally wait a couple of days now and read all your reviews before getting it (YES, even though I sound so negative about this, I will be buying the record for my collection, along with every variation I can get my hands on!!;).

Surely I'm not on my own?  And before anyone say's I can't be a true fan, well you don't follow an artist around to see all his live performances, even travel abroad to see someone play live if you don't like his music!

Anyway, I hope I haven't upset too many of you die hard fans but I had to say something.  I just don't get all EXCITED at someone covering an old tune with a little bit of electric guitar and synth, or making albums that sound like he's gone into his studio, got a previous record, added a bit of bass, guitar here and there, gone out and bought a vocorder and then releases it as a NEW ALBUM.  

I also agree with the guy who posted about having samples of the tracks to listen to, otherwise I couldn't of had this little rant.

Take Care All
Steve

PS.  I really do hope you all enjoy the album.  Shame it's not going to stand out as a "MIKE OLDFIELD CLASSIC ORIGINAL"!!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2005, 23:03

Quote (STEFOR @ Sep. 14 2005, 21:32)
Just listened to the 4 tracks on the Polish radio site and frankly sat here VERY unimpressed!!!  To me it was, same old - same old!! Touches of Tres Lunas, Voyager and why with the talent of Mike does he do cover versions?

Hello Steve and welcome to the site, a very brave first post esp as you have been perusing the site for a couple of years it seems. I think anyone who interprets the words 'Die Hard Fan' as meaning you have to love everything an artist does is dellusional. I have copped a bit of flak recently for making negative comments about Mike and it hurts me because they interpret that to mean that I am not a Die Hard Fan or true appreciator. But you know how you're not too scared to tell your husband or wife or kids to go and brush their teeth because their breath smells, but you wouldn't dare say it to anyone else, maybe not even to your closest friend. I know that Mike himself would no doubt not agree with this but this site is not for him, it is for the fans, and if he frequented the site or acknowledged his presence and appreciation of us, I'm sure we would be a lot more careful about what was said. The bottom line tho is most people on this site make very valid and very fair criticisms and it is through their love and respect for Mike that they feel they have the right to do this. I have been Mikes BIGGEST fan, yes it's true!!! since the very beginning, and while that may not give me the right to slander him which I would never do anyway, (or even to tell my loved ones that they have bad breath), it does give me the right as someone who has followed his career closely and knows his music as well as I can to have an opinion. I agree with almost everything you said but most esp the above quote. I was sending an email to a friend last night who is a fan but not a member of this site and was trying to describe to him the tracks that I have heard from the forthcoming album. I am not a musician and find doing this very difficult in any true accurate sense, so the best that I could do was make comparisons with Tres Lunas and Voyager. Mike obviously has his own guitar style that we all know and love and recognise in every album and that is how it should be. We would be devastated if we played one of Mikes albums and could not hear any 'trademark' Mike. But there is a difference between this and just repeating 'stuff' from the previous album and as you so rightly say, borrowing other peoples stuff. They all do that but Mike seems to be doing it with increased regularity, and although I have no doubt that Mike may have put an equal amount of blood and sweat into this album as he has with all his others, and I will love and enjoy it, what we have heard so far implies a great sense of laziness when it comes to his emotional and creative input. This could be his age, or it could be because he is trying to keep up with the latest trends rather than sticking with what he knows and does best. Who can really say. Another member suggested that this sort of thing is common after someone recently gets married and starts a new family ( maybe sex drains the creative juices! ). Mike himself has admitted that  the only real instruments he has left in his home are a piano and a couple of guitars and these are the only things he has played with his own hands over the top of all these synthed tracks and vocaloids. I'm not giving up on Mike, I never will, no matter what, that is the definition of a Die Hard Fan, I don't admire him any less than I ever did! I don't even mind the use of machinery, SODE is one of my Top 5 favourite albums. And I even like the dance tracks, dare I say that the least liked track so far, Romance, is my favourite! And the TBIII excerpt on the Essential is an all time favourite! But I do imagine that I will play this album several times for a week or so and then it will begin to gather dust while I am reaching for Amarok and SODE and TB and Incantations and Ommadawn. Cheers,

Tracy.

PS-Go to 'Miscellaneous' in the 'Gallery' and post a picture of yourself in 'Members Photographs'. This is a new thread and it takes a while for posts to appear as they have to be cleared by the moderators first, but I am there and hopefully many others will be there soon too.

PSS-In fact it I wanted to make an analagy, I would compare it to buying a gorgeous pair of brand new sexy jeans and looking and feeling wonderful in them, but eventually you will go back to your old favourites, the ones that are comfortable and you can relax in, that fit like a second skin, and are a part of you and your personality.

--------------
Profile PM 
tek_uk Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 03:28

I just liestened to the extracts from the posih radio. Some of them are not bad but Romance is absolutely the worst pile of dance crap I have ever heard!  :O  I think Mike should realise that he knows nothing in dance music and he should leave that for the profesionnals and stick to what he does well, i.e rock, ambient, celtic, spanish etc... all the styles he mixed tastefully in his previous albums.
Angelique is quite nice though...
Profile PM 
tek_uk Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 03:29

also, where can I listen to Surfing?
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 05:02

Here is my edited version of my rant about everyone dogging L+S before it's release... this is for everyone who challenged my statement... especially TubularBelle :)...

Please do not dog the album or try to get Mike to do as you want!!!!!  Just let him make music and maybe if we leave him alone and stop making demands on what we THINK he should be doing he might record a new long piece of music comparable to amarok or ommadawn.

JUst leave him alone and listen before you judge that's all!!!!!

Cheers
Christopher
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 05:15

Hey Guys Light and Shade is now on PLAY.COM for pre-order at £11.99.  

I liked your post Christopher!  I'd just like to add that for me i'll always support Mike and his music because even if 'arguably' his music isn't as complex as it used to be, it still has the Mike Oldfield touch.  I'd love for Mike to show us all he can still write a piece in the vein of Tubular Bells or Amarok but at the end of the day as long as he is still making music it will be hotly anticipated by me whatever the style.

Remember guys this is a 3 album deal with Mercury so there are still 2 to come and who knows what we'll get!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 05:18

tek_uk... emule has surfing and tears of an angel along with angelique, our father, and a snippet of closer.

hope that helps you!!! :)  

there is a radio edit of surfing i downloaded from emule this afternoon.  i don't like it as much as the full album version (especially when it kicks into the big sound)  the album version has a more gothic feel at boom time!!!!! :)  

Also to ALL.... PLZ GO BUY THIS ALBUM EVEN THOUGH IT"S RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE... SUPPORT THE ARTIST PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 05:20

Thank You Chicular!!!!! :)  I agree totally with your positive outlook... thank you for being more level headed than my rant and rage!!!!!!! :)

Cheers
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 07:46

One thing to add regarding Christopher's post:

The more the hardcore fans ask for Ommadawns,Amaroks,Hergest Ridges,the more is the chance of Mike getting sick and tired of doing music and that can result in Mike getting retired,which something I don't wanna see now(since he's still young to do it so).

With Light + Shade,Mike has found a way to stay in the music world without living from his past like Yes(which don't create nothing new for ages!!! ). If you like or not,it's your problem,not Mike's. Stop blaming poor Mike and open up your minds,it doen't matter if you're a fan for 30 years or a new one who are obssesed by Mike's previous works. I do love Amarok,Ommadawn,Incantations,but also love Mike's new direction and what I've heard so far is more exciting than some works after TB III and Guitars,even Romance(not a fav).

Now I'm 100% sure why I do love Mike's music.A wide range of styles,in a Mike Oldfield way,which has something to add than some other one-hit-wonders out there.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 10:38

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 15 2005, 10:02)
The only reason we have all complained is we are expecting the album to be much like the GAME music... boring, simplistic, and totally unimaginative, compared to what we know Mike to be capable of!!!!!!!  

I was almost applauding the bravery of your post, until I read this comment I've quoted above. To those of us who love and understand Tr3s Lunas (which I presume is what you call the 'game' music), this comment will seem just as depressingly negative as those of which you yourself complain.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 11:15

You are in a way right about that Alan D, but what I mean is that the "game music" was looped in the game and did not usually develope except in certain area's and then it was still looped with no real developement.  Snippets, if you will, of potentially great songs.  

The album Tr3s Lunas was pretty good.  Not near as good as what I'm hearing on L+S, imho of course!!!!  My guess would be Mike has learned more about this type of music or has just developed himself over the past few years and found new inspiriration within!?  He WAS spending all his creative energy on a GREAT idea (Tr3s Lunas + Maestro), that sadly did not do as well as it should have!!!!!  

Cheers
Christopher
Profile PM 
189 replies since Aug. 31 2005, 13:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net