Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Brain Blessed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 26 2023, 20:12

Don't know if anyone else has posted about it but we have to talk about Brian Blessed's terrible MC job on the 50th anniversary Tubular Bells recording with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

1. What on earth was he thinking?  Seems like he thought he was still playing King Richard IV.  Or, that is his only mode of expression...in which case
2.  Why was he hired for the job?  And finally...
3. Why was there nobody at all involved in the production to point out what a dreadful job he was doing?

Somehow he managed to be far worse than even John Cleese in 2003.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 26 2023, 22:46

Perhaps it was a WC job instead of an MC job (you seem to be inviting puns ("Brain Blessed" rather than "Brian Blessed") and alternative timelines (there was no Richard IV except in Blackadder).
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: April 27 2023, 00:27

Quote (nightspore @ April 26 2023, 22:46)
Perhaps it was a WC job instead of an MC job (you seem to be inviting puns ("Brain Blessed" rather than "Brian Blessed") and alternative timelines (there was no Richard IV except in Blackadder).

Perhaps there is something in what you say, but what on earth was the thought behind doing the instrument announcements like that, it ruins the whole performance, it's staggeringly ill-conceived.  Sadly of course the two who did the best job (VS and AR) are both no more.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 27 2023, 16:02

We have to talk about how seriously some fans seem to take this "MC" thing these days, on all the endless TB renditions and re-makes. It was made for a laugh to begin with. Relax.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 27 2023, 22:12

"MC", apart from being 1100 in Roman numerals (K00), would seem to be a fractured form of "MO". No doubt I'm missing other resonances....

KOO? The chorus in TB2 says "K HO HO", so maybe there's something there too.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 28 2023, 12:28

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ April 26 2023, 20:12)
Don't know if anyone else has posted about it but we have to talk about Brian Blessed's terrible MC job on the 50th anniversary Tubular Bells recording with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

1. What on earth was he thinking?  Seems like he thought he was still playing King Richard IV.  Or, that is his only mode of expression...in which case
2.  Why was he hired for the job?  And finally...
3. Why was there nobody at all involved in the production to point out what a dreadful job he was doing?

Somehow he managed to be far worse than even John Cleese in 2003.

Yes I agree, it was a bit embarrassing. I thought the Caveman bit was far worse though.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: April 29 2023, 17:28

Quote (larstangmark @ April 27 2023, 16:02)
We have to talk about how seriously some fans seem to take this "MC" thing these days, on all the endless TB renditions and re-makes. It was made for a laugh to begin with. Relax.

Seriously, there is nothing funny about this latest version.  It pretty much ruins the entire production and is so plain wrong, I for one can't understand how it could have possibly come to be.  And there is no comparison between it and any other version that I know of - be it the very first, or Alan Rickman's smooth and elegant rendition, of Vivian Stanshall's lovely, understated, pitch-perfect visual and vocal performance in the 1992 music video version of "The Bell", or even John Cleese's which is not great (especially his "mandolin"), or even the version at the Tubular Bells II premiere by John Gordon Sinclair which not everyone loves, and which Mr. Blessed may have possibly been partially inspired by. Billy Connolly's is a restrained and genial (for him), perfectly pleasant affair.  Finally, Otto Walkes' version is nondescript almost to a fault, the diametric opposite of Blessed's.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: April 29 2023, 18:45

Quote (shenry @ April 28 2023, 12:28)

Yes I agree, it was a bit embarrassing. I thought the Caveman bit was far worse though.

Yes, the caveman section was even worse, if that's possible.  Embarrassing is the only word for it...apart from "yikes".  What a shame for Brian Blessed to more or less end his distinguished career (he's 86 now and can't have many more gigs left) in such an inglorious fashion.
Profile PM 
oldnutinfield Offline

Posted: May 12 2023, 11:11

Dear people this 50th performance album is really just a great keepsake for those of us who went to RAH and saw the performance where dear old Brian added a bit of OTT humour.
Being sad I like this version and wish they made a full Incantations and Windchimes similar album.
Now if you really want to hear a crap MC try the US Premier album of TB that is really TB2+ bits.
OK nothing beats the original one, but John Cleese was not bad on 2003 version.
Smile it's only a joke. :D
Profile PM 
8 replies since April 26 2023, 20:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net