Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Boxed Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GMOVJ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 25 2000, 02:48

Hi All

Does someone know precises differences between Boxed Edition and LP first edition ?

I've notice that is some part, there less snare drum (as Mike says in the booklet) and a deeper general feeling of calm and rest.

nbtm : I think this question should fit in a Boxed Forum, because there's already a topic about TB on Boxed.

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 30 2000, 19:03

Just a couple I remember off the top of my head...

The glockenspiel and bass guitar in the intro section are both much higher in the original mix.

The 'thunderstorm' section is much lower in level on the first LP.

The chanted lyrics in part 2 can be heard on the Boxed remix.

I guess you could pull out loads more differences...
Profile PM 
stig Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2000, 14:01

I think the biggest difference that you missed, is the Snare drum in Part One.

Totally inaudible (completely removed) from the boxed mix, I remember Mike Saying that He only put it in because he thought HR was too repetetive. Oh well, I like it smile
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2000, 18:35

GMOVJ, there is some good information about the two mixes of HR here: http://members.xoom.com/m_junglas/rarecomp/comp.html

Steve, I only have the LP version of HR. Where is this snare drum bit? I can only hear a timpani and a gong
Profile PM 
Koen
Unregistered

Posted: April 20 2003, 08:34

Does someone now if there is some mirror for that site? I can't open it... :/
(which is not very strange after 3 years though..)
Brewer Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 19:46

Steve, I only have the LP version of HR. Where is this snare drum bit? I can only hear a timpani and a gong

2distortedguitars unless your LP version is prior to the boxed remix, it is the boxed remix. A good way to tell is if the label on the LP is the old virgin label "naked cartoon woman with legs spred in a V fashion" the chances are that it is the remix and thus hasnt got the Snare Drum.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: July 28 2003, 16:22

So, to clarify-the original mix is the one with the old Virgin/woman logo?  I want to make sure before I buy it.  The front of the record sleeve also has a small picture of that logo.  Is this LP the original mix?
Spinne Offline

Posted: July 30 2003, 18:12

The label may be a good indication of the mix but if you want more information you can consult Amarok Mailing List FAQ. You will find a lot of information at questions 2.11 and 2.12  :cool:
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: July 31 2003, 12:05

Thanks for the link, there is a lot of cool info on those pages.  I actually bought the LP a couple of days ago, and it is indeed the original mix.  I stayed up until 4 AM making it into a CD, denoised and all.  I used to own the vinyl several years ago, but I traded it away, and I'm not sure if that one was the original mix or not.  Back then I didn't even know there were two versions!   :)
8 replies since May 25 2000, 02:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net