Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BOUGHT THE BOXED VERSION, Comparing the different mixes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AwayWeGo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 15 2015, 17:11

So, I bought the "Boxed" (CD) set from Amazon.co.uk. I found it from a German retailer.
I listened...

Oh boy...

For the record, if anyone has said that the Boxed version of Ommadawn isn't all that different, I have to greatly disagree. I noticed many differences right away.

So what are the differences? Mainly, dynamics, dynamics, dynamics. The first thing I noticed was that certain parts stuck out as bright and loud that hadn't in either the 1975 or 2010 mix. This mainly happened with the guitars and drums. However, a new mix isn't just about volume levels. It's an entire new relationship of all the complex parts, with altered textures, expressions, etc. You really have to just listen to see what they are. But, I will still try to summarize.

So, here are a few big things I noticed

Part 1

The dynamic ranges of some instruments make the haunting melodies a bit more emotional. There is no one change that happens, but as with any other mix, it's a collection of things. Mainly, changes in the depth of reverb, some parts being lowered in volume while others are raised, and some changes in texture. I like the slightly different atmosphere this gives the opening melody.

One thing I really did not like, however, was that during one portion of Part 1, the instruments suddenly increased in volume, and the result was a mix that let out a splat that made it sound as if someone had let out a huge fart next to the microphone. This happened very briefly though, so it is forgivable.

The chanting started off as very loud for a split second, then returned to more normal volume.

The ending was slightly less intense than I had hoped in terms of dynamics. Less intense than the '75 mix, but definitely more dynamically diverse than that awful 2010 mix flattening.

The drums go on for a RIDICULOUS amount of time at the ending, and I love it. They even fade out, and then briefly back in right before the track ends. It's almost comical.

Overall, VERY good Part 1

Part 2

This mix is closer to the 1975 mix than Part 1 is. I would say the beginning parts are nothing special. BUT THEN...

When that woodwind instrument starts (you know, the really loud one), it's FINALLY not so very loud this time around. This makes the music more smooth and easy to listen to, as well as more emotional.

When the minor sad melody starts after that, it has more reverb, and is brighter and louder. This is great in my opinion. And the magic keeps happening...

The high-pitched lead-in to the finale comes crashing in loud and proud. This is how I think it should be. It sounds more confident.

The outro, which I call the "folk stomp" section, has much louder percussion than before. The emotions keep building with better dynamics, but then a slight letdown happens when you can hear a male vocalist singing the chord melody (presumably Mike). I find it a bit distracting.

The last guitar strum and percussion hit, the last on the album before "On Horseback" starts, is not as loud as I'd hoped, since on the 1975 mix it ends with much intensity. This is probably my biggest problem with this version of the album (if you can even call it a "problem") but really, I'll take it for the beautiful mix this album offers.

"On Horseback" has a nice easy-listening mix. It's more true to the '75 mix than the 2010 mix was. The kids' voices are lowered so they fit into the mix better. A nice finishing touch.

Overall, LOVE IT. Very expressive, and very emotional. I would recommend it to any die-hard Oldfield fan.

I would recommend searching on different Amazon markets (UK, Japan, USA, etc) to find a low price on a used copy.

I truly would just upload a WAV version of the album for eveyone to hear if I weren't afraid of the copyright giants coming after me

Thanks for reading guys. Let me know what you think if you too have a copy, or if you have any questions. I might post another thread just about the other "Boxed" mixes and extra content.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 16 2015, 12:00

When I bought Boxed originaly on vinylandI found Omadawn had hardly been touched as Boxed was released not long after its original release .
The big thing then was that its was remixed for SQ quad (which not a lot of people had access to)
The big difference was ofcourse to HR and for the newer tracks on the fourth disc.
But if I can remember all the versions were quiet .
Try and get a vinyl copy if you can , I think its got more punch than the cd version .
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: July 16 2015, 15:07

Perhaps the issue with my comparison is that I never owned the '75 vinyl. I am only comparing the "Boxed" mix with the 1975 mix that came with the 2010 CD Deluxe edition, on disc 2. All I know is I have listened to the '75 mix from that CD many times and the "Boxed" mix had what I perceived to be several differences that immediately stuck out.

Did the original '75 vinyl sound different from the '75 mix included on the 2010 release?

I listened to all three mixes on the same player, with the same headphones, using the same program.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the reply! (:
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 18 2015, 07:00

Not really.
The only difference i can think of is that on the original 75 album the drums at the end of side one went on forever . which I liked .
Profile PM 
ESentinel Offline

Posted: July 26 2015, 13:56

Excuse me but, what is that boxed edition you are talking about?

I'd only heard of the 1975 version on stereo on CD and vinyl which I think are identical -tho I haven't heard the vinyl- and the 2010 version on stereo and 5.1 on CD and DVD.

How many more version are out there? :S
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: July 26 2015, 15:07

"Boxed" is a compilation album released in 1976. It has remixed versions of Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, plus a couple of pieces done in collaboration with other artists. The remixed versions are only slightly different from the originals (except for Hergest Ridge, which was significantly altered). At the time Ommadawn had only been out for a year, so I guess there was little Mike wanted to change in the 1976 remix.
Profile PM 
ESentinel Offline

Posted: July 26 2015, 17:00

Oh I see now. I guess I'll got to give a listen to those remixes. Thank you very much for the information. ;)
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2015, 18:15

As a side note, with all these remixes and remasters, this is why it's so annoying when Amazon puts all the reviews together from all the dofferent editions of albums. You never truly know what you're getting until you pop it in to your CD player.
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2015, 17:23

This is currently on its way to me. I bought it for £25 on Ebay mainly for its version of Hergest Ridge, which is my favourite.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2015, 18:06

Quote (Dr Bogenbroom @ Aug. 12 2015, 17:23)
This is currently on its way to me. I bought it for £25 on Ebay mainly for its version of Hergest Ridge, which is my favourite.

The Boxed HR mix is very different indeed. I like it too, but for me the 2010 mix of that one is best. I bought my Boxed version to hear the divisive Ommadawn Boxed mix. I swear it's different xD
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2015, 10:46

Quote (AwayWeGo @ Aug. 12 2015, 18:06)
Quote (Dr Bogenbroom @ Aug. 12 2015, 17:23)

The Boxed HR mix is very different indeed. I like it too, but for me the 2010 mix of that one is best. I bought my Boxed version to hear the divisive Ommadawn Boxed mix. I swear it's different xD

For me the Boxed HR just has something more substantial about it (probably the underlying guitar). I'm glad I heard this version as it taught me to check out all Mike's mixes for all his releases. Sometimes one will really resonate whereas another mix won't.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
10 replies since July 15 2015, 17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net