Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bonus Tracks, What do you think of them?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 15:19

I'm afraid that Closer, Prés de Toi, and Lakme have all been consigned to the bin, here, along with the trance tracks. But that still leaves plenty of good stuff, fortunately.
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 06:37

Hi folks. Been a while since I posted here.....

Well, I'm gonna step out on a limb, and say I actually really like Lakme.

I've never been a fan of dance / trance music as such, but I think what Mike has done with Lakme here is quite easy going, and you can still clearly hear the main melody, even with the synths, and I love the distorted guitar chords that come in after about 2 minuites.

The fact that there is still some 'typical' Mike Oldfield guitar in there is pretty good too - lets you know who has done this arrangement.

Having said all that, I can easily see why people are not too keen on Lakme (and the L+S album as a whole) - probably not one for the Oldfield 'purists'

Cheers

Gary
Profile PM 
Redvers Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 09:07

First post!

Decided to wait for the Melbourne release, but found out no bonus tracks. Straight to amazon.co.uk and delivered 4 days later!

Pres De Toi - ho hum
Lakme  - great, worth the hassle.

Why do they bother? These days we all know what's happening everywhere. Why can't they just release the same to everyone!

--------------
Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 15:33

Quote (Redvers @ Oct. 19 2005, 14:07)
Why do they bother? These days we all know what's happening everywhere. Why can't they just release the same to everyone!

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. It's not like the more dedicated fans won't import the version with the bonus tracks on anyway!

(Welcome to the board by the way  :) )

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 15:55

Good point - seems a little odd that they release different versions of CDs / DVDs etc in different areas of the world.

By the way - tubular_trekkie - cracking name (only just noticed!;) - I'm a TNG and Voyager fan myself :)

Cheers

Gary
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 16:12

Quote (Anonymizeruk @ Oct. 19 2005, 20:55)
By the way - tubular_trekkie - cracking name (only just noticed!;) - I'm a TNG and Voyager fan myself :)

Cheers

Gary

Hurrah! Another convert. "You will be assimilated - you will all become one with the Borg..."    

I have to confess that I'm not too keen on Voyager though, (that's Trek rather than the MO album! ); I never liked Janeway and as for Neelix - ugh. Worst character ever. TNG rocks, of course  :)  

But I digress. How are you on the new Doctor Who?  :cool:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 16:31

Voyager (the MO album) isn't one of my favourites, although still very worthy of a place in my collection :)

Dr Who? The name says it all! I know absolutley nothing about Dr Who, aside from the odd bits I get from a friend who loves it!

I live in the UK - we have a type of train here called a Voyager, for those who are rail savy, its a Class 221 :) (which I dislike with a passion!;) but I remember once...

I watched Voyager, then Listened to Voyager, whilst travelling ON a Voyager

Still, I think I'll be taking L+S with me on holiday tomorrow. Give me a chance to do a thorough listening to.
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 20:39

Quote (timshen @ Oct. 12 2005, 11:14)
Just hear Pres De Toi and Lakme and I really like them. I prefer the bonus version of Pres De Toi over Closer by far (which I find really boring). Lakme is alos great - I don't know why some have said it's the worst thing Mike has done, I find it a return to the great "B-Side" releases Mike used to do. Some great guitar work and trademark Oldfield sounds.

I've not managed to get Cook's Tune yet but have heard that it's a beautiful folky arrangement, which certainly tickles my fancy.

What do you think?
:cool:

Hi!
Where can i find that extra tracks?
Thanks!
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 16:47

Près De Toi sounds very good and Lakme is starting sound good too :) can't understand why these are not on the album, there are much worse tracks on there :/

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 17:23

The reason why I find Closer boring is that there just isnt enough of it. I've always liked Mike's music for his compositional ability, and his method of overlaying instruments and sections to add depth. There's none of that here though. This is a tune he heard whilst in France. That's the only significance it has, and whilst it's nice and has been given a good treatment, isnt what I'm used to.

And I think that's the problem, most people on here cling on to the love of the massively complicated works, like Amarok and TB, Ommadawn and Incantations. Mike has changed. He doesn't do all of that anymore; he just describes the feeling using his guitar, and backing it up with the computer. It's basically what is said in the latest interview "I don't know if I'm going to do something musically great in the next few years" (I think)

Tr3s Lunas had enough compositional depth for me, even without the layers of instruments, timing, precision, reverb, effects etc. that add everything to his pieces that I like. Some of it was there, but not as much. Now nearly everything on L+S that I like has either been lifted from Tr3s Lunas or somesuch and has been drag-dropped onto this.

Of course Pres De Toi isn't enough like Voyager stuff to be reminiscent, and Lakme I won't even waste my breath with.

Almost pointless, definately self indulgent. Yet another thing we've always loved him for - but now showing it in a different way, at least to me.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 17:55

Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 05 2005, 22:23)
Almost pointless, definately self indulgent. Yet another thing we've always loved him for - but now showing it in a different way, at least to me.

Such sad, wistful posts, Arron. Sorry to hear the disappointment drags on. I have two suggestions:

1. Get rid of the tracks from the double CD that you definitely don't like, and burn the rest of them onto a single CD. I found that helped enormously. I saved only 40 minutes from the two CDs but it's a very, very enjoyable 40 minutes that I'm glad to have.
2. I'm sure I must have asked you this before, but forgive me if I've forgotten ... have you played Tr3sLunas the game? I can't help but feel that if you gave it a try (it doesn't cost much) it would entirely blow the lid off your doldrums, because in its strange, beautiful, and endlessly explorable world you get close to the heart of Mike Oldfield - and that seems to be what you're grieving for.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 19:30

Pres De Toi, Lakme, and Cook's Tune. I love them all. Especially Cook's Tune! Second is Pres De Toi. Lakme is last but it's a much more interesting trance track than some of the others on Shade.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 05:29

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 05 2005, 17:55)
Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 05 2005, 22:23)

Such sad, wistful posts, Arron. Sorry to hear the disappointment drags on. I have two suggestions:

1. Get rid of the tracks from the double CD that you definitely don't like, and burn the rest of them onto a single CD. I found that helped enormously. I saved only 40 minutes from the two CDs but it's a very, very enjoyable 40 minutes that I'm glad to have.
2. I'm sure I must have asked you this before, but forgive me if I've forgotten ... have you played Tr3sLunas the game? I can't help but feel that if you gave it a try (it doesn't cost much) it would entirely blow the lid off your doldrums, because in its strange, beautiful, and endlessly explorable world you get close to the heart of Mike Oldfield - and that seems to be what you're grieving for.

You have indeed asked me this. And I should possibly apologise for the negative perception of my post. Mostly here I'm just frustrated. To be supplied with such wonders as First Steps and simultaneously laughed at with other 'tracks' like Quicksilver.

RE: The burning of CD's, I've no real need to do that, as I keep my collection on my computer (encoded at 256kbps of course :) ) So I just zipped the one's I'll never listen to. I used to have In High Places zipped, cause I really, really didn't think it worked, but like Ommadawn before it, I got with the program.

Maybe in about 10 years time I will unzip the Shady tracks and see if I can bear to listen to them. Who knows? It may even be alright.

RE: Tr3s Lunas the game: I had a brief flirtation with it, but unfortunately there wasnt enough to keep me interested. I'm somewhat of a computer game connoisseur (been playing for 15 years now! Woo!;) and it smacks of great idea, bad execution. I'm sorry if that could be percieved as offensive, but that's what I feel. You've got to remember that Mike had no experience in making games (and when I say game, I mean a program that runs on a computer that has no purpose other than for entertainment) and he didnt have an extensive coding team with lots of practice. He didn't have commercial pressures. REF: See 'Halo', 'Command and Conquer', 'Final Fantasy VII', 'Outcast'.

This resulted in something which, probably does explore the childish fascination side to which he was promoting (I believe i experienced it briefly) but something which is packaged so poorly. The 'innovative' music in one place thing is, I'm afraid, quite an old concept, and from the description given I expected it to be much more... intuitive.

So all in all, I came away with some brilliant music (thank you Mike and Brandon) but little else. That's no big problem though, when I bought the thing that's all I expected.

I do however thank you for taking the time to make your suggestions, I think I should start reviewing more of his back catalogue (I've still got a few albums left to buy).

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 06:51

Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 06 2005, 10:29)
You've got to remember that Mike had no experience in making games

Well of course for me that's where its strength lies. I'm not interested in computer games in general; but I can see to a regular gamer, MVR would have nothing to offer because it isn't really a game.

No matter. It was worth a mention, just in case.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 07:03

And thanks for taking the time for doing so. It's nice to be appreciated. :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 10:28

The 'innovative' music in one place thing is, I'm afraid, quite an old concept

People keep saying this, and when I ask 'where? I want it!' it's curious how nothing comes up (except a reference by Korgscrew to something Peter Gabriel did).

Just checking... you did play the actual full game, and not just the hopelessly feeble demo... didn't you?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 12:04

OFF TOPIC

The Peter Gabriel game is called Eve, its superb and has a lot more artistic depth but is possibly less fun and escapist than MVR. Its pretty old now though. Came out 96/97 I think.

The other games people compare MVR to or have compared MVR to in the past are the games made by Cyan called Myst and Riven. Mike did mention both these games as reference points when doing MVR. They are similar in that they create huge and fantastic exploratory interactive 3D worlds, they to have there own musical soundtrack (which you can buy seperately I think) There is much less freedom to move about than in MVR but the graphics are out of this world in comparison. I haven't played the most recent versions of these games but apparently they're incredible

Check out www.riven.com and www.cyanworlds.com
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 12:15

Quote (Alan D @ Nov. 06 2005, 10:28)
The 'innovative' music in one place thing is, I'm afraid, quite an old concept

People keep saying this, and when I ask 'where? I want it!' it's curious how nothing comes up (except a reference by Korgscrew to something Peter Gabriel did).

Just checking... you did play the actual full game, and not just the hopelessly feeble demo... didn't you?

Yes, absolutely I did. The concept of music changing to where you are - thats a concept that was used in Halo, which was released a year later, but also in Final Fantasy VII in a cruder manour. It was linear, so the responsivity was different in that the changes didnt require user input. But the user still experienced the same thing, except of course on successive plays (I believe I have completed FFVII about 50 times or so now, and yes, to those of you in the know, I know how to get Knights Of The Round and HP <-> MP.)

The concept was also used in an aged game called Abuse, if I remember correctly. Another instance, although really basic, was in the computer game of Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds. Sometimes you'd be on the war map, during a battle, and once the action started to pace up the respective version of the Eve of the War would begin playing.

Another was Outcast, brilliant game, the music did actually respond to your actions. The game proceeds in a film like situation, but with you at the helm; it's really a wonderful experience as the score is just so fantastic, as is the plot, characters and so forth. Only just behind FFVII as the best game of the 90's IMHO. If you would like to experience reactive music, Alan, I would recommend Halo and Outcast. Possibly Outcast first, as it is not only older than Tr3s Lunas, but is also could be described as a more involving game.

The type of experience that you describe with Tr3s lunas, of regarding MO in a new regard as having created something new and beautiful, I completely agree. I regularly found some enthralling pieces of... art, that you could play. Appreciation for games is completely different from that of music, but once you get what to look for... it's good stuff.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 12:16

Quote (TOBY @ Nov. 06 2005, 17:04)
the games made by Cyan called Myst and Riven.

I know all these games and have played most of them, including the astounding later one, Uru. They are visually spectacular, and the very finest thing of their type, but basically they are the old style of adventure puzzle games that I used to play on my ZX Spectrum in the 1980s. Far, far more sophisticated of course [in a technical sense] than anything in MVR.

But Tres Lunas is fundamentally different both in concept and as an experience, except for the non-violent content, which I think is partly what Mike's point of reference was.

[Sorry - I know this is off topic and I'm dragging that on - but if you read a few posts back you'll see that it does flow naturally from what went before.]
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 12:38

My only beef with MVR is that Mike came up with this amazing idea for a interactive audio visual experience, made it technically achievable and then didn't really know what to do with it from then on. I mean throwing boomerangs at things and getting hoops on dolphins noses just seems a bit overly simplistic to me, shooting the pointy stars to me just seems like something out of some 80's computer game (indeed that particular bit looks like it came straight out of The wind chimes video)

Don't get me wrong I hugely enjoyed MVR and there were general ideas that worked wonderfully within it. It's difinitely a model for something which given a few years and lot of developement could be truely amazing. But given Mike's insistance to go it alone, just like in every other part of his professional life these days, his own original creation will suffer in the hands of himself.
Profile PM 
54 replies since Oct. 12 2005, 11:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net