Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bonnie Tyler and Mike, almost stopped me buying Mikes albums!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ratty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 17 2005, 18:20

When i went to buy the 7 and 12" singles for Islands, i was stood in HMV just after it opened, They were still putting the new releases out, as i went to pick up Islands one of the shop assistants shouted to the other "Look at this Mike Oldfield and Bonnie Tyler, what next Steve Hillage and Cilla Black?" Dont know who was more embarrased, me buying the singles or the lad who was serving me after his outburst?

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 17 2005, 18:24

Too bad it wasn't a Virgin Superstore, where, last time I checked, they had never heard of Mike Oldfield and did not stock a single thing by him.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 17 2005, 21:29

When I first noticed on Elements VHS that Mike had worked with Bonnie Tyler,I had a great and long laugh for a while,since Bonnie is considered here in Brazil as kitsch(Total Eclipse of Heart was a huge hit here and it has become one of the most popular kitsch hits) and thought,"What happened to Mike to choose her to work with on a track?"

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 04:41

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 17 2005, 21:29)
Bonnie is considered here in Brazil as kitsch(Total Eclipse of Heart was a huge hit here and it has become one of the most popular kitsch hits) and thought,"What happened to Mike to choose her to work with on a track?"

She's kitsch in England too, Tati, and I thought exactly the same thing.  In fact I still do!

:/

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 09:34

She's certainly a blot on the Islands landscape for me.

Examination question:

Compare and contrast the inclusion of Bonnie Tyler on 'Islands' with the use of a Margaret Thatcher impersonator on 'Amarok'.

[Just in case anyone thinks for a moment of taking me seriously, please don't....]
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 18 2005, 11:18

Quote (Alan D @ April 18 2005, 09:34)
Compare and contrast the inclusion of Bonnie Tyler on 'Islands' with the use of a Margaret Thatcher impersonator on 'Amarok'.

Well, one was the Iron Lady, and the other one is a lady whose singing grates like iron filings in your teeth.

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 18 2005, 18:29

Iron Lady vs Iron Larynx, you mean?

To tell the truth, in both sound and appearance, she puts me in mind of a female Rod Stewart.

I think her singing works well for the track, but find the whole thing rather kitsch really. I can't imagine it working better with anyone else, though.

I get the feeling Steve Hillage and Cilla Black would be more entertaining actually, though most likely not musically 'better'. ;)
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2009, 13:32

Quote (Ratty @ April 17 2005, 18:20)
When i went to buy the 7 and 12" singles for Islands, i was stood in HMV just after it opened, They were still putting the new releases out, as i went to pick up Islands one of the shop assistants shouted to the other "Look at this Mike Oldfield and Bonnie Tyler, what next Steve Hillage and Cilla Black?" Dont know who was more embarrased, me buying the singles or the lad who was serving me after his outburst?

Dont get to Excited but Bonnie Tyler Has just announced a Comeback..   lol..http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090902/ten-bonnie-tyler-announces-comeback-ea4616c.html

Just in Time for Islands Deluxe.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 02 2009, 15:38

Quote (3Wheeler @ Sep. 02 2009, 19:32)
Dont get to Excited but Bonnie Tyler Has just announced a Comeback..   lol..http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090902/ten-bonnie-tyler-announces-comeback-ea4616c.html

Just in Time for Islands Deluxe.. :cool:

Don't think that's the reason..

I guess she needs the money for all her botox or whatever (who gives a shit why?)...
It's sad really, when famed people don't stop in time before they get embarrassing,
so you have a chance to remember them in at sort of good way.
Oh well, as long as she is not a fuck-up like e.g. Tina Turner and her 10.000th last concert thingy going on - (enough already! )  :O

And now while I'm at it..
Tom Jones, pathetic...go to bed and STAY there (and shut up)
Whitney Houston, - you train-wreck of a cocaine sniffling moron, - go hide in a dark and soundproof closet (and shut up anyway)
Elvis, you fat-fuck-burger-munching-cocaine-sniffling-moron, (why, oh why?  )
Edward Kennedy, oh well...I guess nature did the job for you, at least you can't drive and crash any more and leave a new sex toy of the day, to die a horrible drowning while you flee drunk as a skunk (asshole)
Michael Jackson, you should have stopped right after making "Thriller" (enough said)
I guess you all can see where I'm going with this...the list can go on with morons how should have stopped in time

I could put my name on too, but I'm not famous, never have been, never gonna be    :laugh:

Now seriously..stop!  :O
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 09:29

Errrrr ok then.
 Korgscrew said a while back in this thread about Bonnie Tyler being the female version of Rod Stewart and i must say i've always said the same thing.Never liked the track Islands.I remember buying it when it came out as a single and being really disappointed by it.I'm not a fan of saxaphone really and the sax solo in it just sounded like so many other songs from what was a really naff time musically.Sounded like he was desperately seeking a hit single to me.I always skip it.
 Still Mike had the last laugh cos after she'd sung it he chopped it around and chnged the pitch here and there to make it what he wanted the vocal to be and she was none too happy about it.
 Bonnie Tyler comeback?No thanks.
 At the risk of controversy i'd add The Stones and McCartbey to the list of people who should have stopped by now.Particuarly Sir Paul cos he's become a characature of himself.All together now,thumbs aloft, wobble the head and say how much he likes Yoko now. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 22:14

Quote (The Caveman @ Sep. 04 2009, 15:29)
At the risk of controversy i'd add The Stones and McCartbey to the list of people who should have stopped by now.Particuarly Sir Paul cos he's become a characature of himself.All together now,thumbs aloft, wobble the head and say how much he likes Yoko now. :laugh:

Well..continuing my sober rant, the jury is still voting on McCartney.
He still makes a new record now and then, but anyone talking about
"liking" Yoko has serious mental problems in my book  :D

While I'm in my rant about one of the Beatles, I must say that
Ringo Starr shouldn't even have started in the music business
- wasn't Lennon which answered the question whether Ringo
was a good drummer, that he thought that Ringo was not even the best drummer in The Beatles??  ( I think so)    
- and then again, with his out of tune, out of sync, out of style and far from reality-attitude, he might be able to qualify to back Yoko when she strangles a cat on stage.

WOW - I just got an idea how to win the war in Afghanistan while writing the rant above...
Yoko and Ringo live on the air from Kabul and the "sound" transmitted via plans, vehicles and helicopters all over Afghanistan,
is guaranteed to make even the hardest terrorist crumble in fetal position and surrender his weapons     :laugh:
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 11:22

The problem with Islands is not Bonnie Tyler. It's the fact that it sounds like something from the eurovision song contest 1986. It's a like a lamer version of Saved by a Bell.

BTW Yoko is my favorite Beatle.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 12:16

Well Paul died in November 1966.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 13:09

Quote (smillsoid @ Sep. 05 2009, 17:16)
Well Paul died in November 1966.

And then his "stand-in" subsequently appeared on Tubular Bells

I don`t really mind Bonnie Tyler`s voice it`s just that I can`t actualy think of anything that she ever recorded that I liked.So you`ve kind of got all that history of naffness if you like putting you off before you`ve even started.You know you`re going to have to come up with a pretty damn good song initialy just to begin to overcome all that.Unfortunatly Islands comes nowhere near close imo.In fact I think I actualy prefered her duet with Shakin Stevens and that`s saying something...Steve Hillage and Cilla Black on the other hand could only have been brilliant imo.Damn shame it never happened.Maybe in the future somebody could go back in time and sort that one out for us.Let`s face it, if Yoko is now classed as an ex-Beatle anything is possible.  ;)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 14:14

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Sep. 04 2009, 22:14)
was a good drummer, that he thought that Ringo was not even the best drummer in The Beatles??  ( I think so)

That happened when Ringo quit the band during the recording of the self-titled album, when the constant fighting was too much to bear. Paul had to take over the drums in some tracks - which explains the very monotonous drumming in tracks like Back in the U.S.S.R..

And Lennon also said later that Joe Cocker's version of With a Little Help from My Friends is what the original song should have been like. Yeah, the man's credibility is beyond question...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 19:42

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Sep. 02 2009, 15:38)
It's sad really, when famed people don't stop in time before they get embarrassing,

Will you be telling Mike, or shall I?  :D
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2009, 10:09

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 05 2009, 19:14)
Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Sep. 04 2009, 22:14)

That happened when Ringo quit the band during the recording of the self-titled album, when the constant fighting was too much to bear. Paul had to take over the drums in some tracks - which explains the very monotonous drumming in tracks like Back in the U.S.S.R..

And Lennon also said later that Joe Cocker's version of With a Little Help from My Friends is what the original song should have been like. Yeah, the man's credibility is beyond question...

I`m not sure if that`s exactly where that quote comes from,although you`re right about Ringo leaving the band for a while during The White Album.Apparently some reporter asked John if Ringo was the best drummer in the world?To which John quipped "he`s not even the best drummer in The Beatles".It was an amusing comment but I don`t think he really meant or believed it for a second.Plus I`ve even read that it took John,Paul and George to play the drum part for Back In The U.S.S.R and it still was`nt as good as Ringo.So I`d certainly agree with you there.Funnily enough there was a Beatles night over here on the television last night,and there was a quote from Ringo saying that he enjoyed himself a lot more playing on The White Album than he did on Sgt Pepper.

In about 1979 they brought back a tv programme over here for a short while called Juke Box Jury.The premise of which was to have a panel of "celebrities" offering their "expert" opinions on what they thought of that week`s new musical releases.During one show after watching the promo clip for the Wings single Getting Closer(a song which subsequently failed to trouble the top 40 I may add) A certain Lesley Judd of Blue Peter fame offered the opinion that Paul McCarteny should quit because he was becoming embarrassing.Rock music was`nt intended for 40 year old blokes she added,despite the fact he was about 36/37 at the time.Well blow me down I thought to myself.I was only 13 years old back then and quite frankly I did`nt care how old he was it was still the best bloody record on that entire frickin show.Lesley flippin Judd I ask you...She was the presenter of a kids tv show,but you always got the impression that she did`nt even like kids.I mean what the hell is that all about?At least with Valerie Singleton you kind of felt that she would at least tolerate you for a while,albiet in a slightly patronising manner perhaps.But Lesley Judd down with the kids??..Do me a favour love and get off my television you don`t know what you`re talking about...Yeah ok I`ll admit she kind of pissed me off at the time.I was`nt thinking straight back then  :p

Paul McCartney is kind of embarrassing at times it has to be said.But let`s face it you can go back way into some of The Beatles history to find examples of that.Imo however since the turn of the century Paul McCartney has recorded his most consistent and exciting body of work since he was actualy in The Beatles.Check out his last few albums if you don`t believe me.And if you still don`t agree then you`re going in the box with Lesley Judd it`s as simple as that.

Paul McCartney once recorded an album on a boat you know.Well ok actualy it was two boats and it was`nt the whole entire album to be fair..I`m just saying is all.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2009, 16:38

I wonder if Mike got Anita to try out the Song 1st..  Maybe he wrote it then just had something in Mind..   Bit like Writing a Meatloaf Song  lol..   A Bonnie Tyler Song has to be a Certain Type or it will never Work...  It never Appears on her compilation CDs of which there are "Loads" .. so maybe some one else Mike Upset lol.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2009, 18:36

Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 05 2009, 19:09)
And then his "stand-in" subsequently appeared on Tubular Bells

I never believed that Paul was really dead and replaced by an impersonator, but after this, wow...

:laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2018, 09:57

So, did Mike and Bonnie actually fall out?
Profile PM 
21 replies since April 17 2005, 18:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net