Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Blue Peter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
imhotep Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 20 2007, 05:08

I first heard this song in this video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search=

In my ears it is quite different from the version on the platinum collection. Does anyone know if there are more versions released?

I like the version in the video better.
:/
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 20 2007, 08:34

There were two different versions of the single released after complaints by various DJ's that the record finished too abruptly. The ending on later copies was therefore altered from that of the original batch. Again there are no clues on the cover to which version you bought. The only way, apart from listening to each version, is to look at the matrix number scratched on the record. Copies with the matrix A4 are the original sudden ending version, whilst if you had the matrix A7, you had the version with the new refined ending.

Source: Music From The Darkness by Peter Evans

*** Blue Peter ***

3 versions. 2 of them are quite rare.

1. Ordinary version: Published on most sources. You will find this version on all 7" singles "Blue Peter / Woodhenge" outside UK (except Sweden), and on the UK singles with matrix numbers VS 317 A-3 or A-4. This version is also available on "The Complete Mike Oldfield" and the German-only compilation "Music Wonderland".

2. Version with refined ending: Available only on the UK 7" "Blue Peter / Woodhenge" with matrix numbers VS 317 A-6 or A-7 and on the Japanese 12" "The Singles".

3. Remix: The most different version. It's available on the Dutch compilation "Mike Oldfield's Wonderland" and on the Swedish 7" "Blue Peter / Woodhenge". This version was also included on the CD Bootleg "Swollowed Up By A Big Fat Snake".

Source: Mike Oldfield Discography by Rainer Münz

:cool:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 15:35

Well... I'm perfectly familiar with the so-called "Dutch Mix", which features much more guitar than the 'ordinary version' (number 1 above), and I actually like it more than the 'ordinary version'. But the piece that's played on the "Making of" video is neither of the three versions listed above, mainly because the main theme played by Mike in the video on the flageolet-like synth (what the presenter calls "the signature tune") is different in many points from what the same theme sounds on all of the released versions. Plus, none of them features a drum roll at the start, and none of them features as many bells, chimes & tambourines as shown in the video. So I guess that Mike made a recording of "Blue Peter" especially for the Blue Peter film crew, then he re-recorded the song again (on his own, without anyone filming him) and that's the version he ended up releasing.  AFAIK all of the guitars and the extra stuff on the ending of the "Dutch Mix" were added later. :)

Regarding the Platinum Collection, either version 1 or version 3 was included on the worldwide releases, apparently without any particular criteria for the choice. My copy has the "Dutch Mix" on. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 16:15

Do you mean that your Platinum Collection has the Dutch Mix?? If that's it, I find it quite amazing...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 17:27

@ Nacho: yes, my copy does. A guy I know bought the same Platinum Collection in the same shop, and he got Blue Peter version 1. ;) I guess it was random.

I've also got four copies of The Complete - it'd be too long to explain why I got four :D - and one of 'em, a 2-in-1 'slim box' edition, has got the Dutch Mix. All the others have version 1.

--------------
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 20 2007, 17:58

Unbelievable!!!

By the way, I've got six vinyl Complete, two cd versions, and three MC versions too!!  :)

I'm going to check them all, although I have the Dutch mix 7" single and the Mike Oldfield's Wonderland where it also appears...
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: April 21 2007, 16:30

Very confusing.
Simply put, I'd like to get a CD where another version exists.
What CD should I buy to get one that is closer to what we can hear in that video?

I love the sound of the strumming on that guitar and the drum too.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 17:05

OK, let me get this straight... which is apparently hard to do for me... :p

The version in the video is a kind-of rehearsal of what the 'official' Blue Peter song would sound like. As such, the final song (any version of it) does not sound at all like what is heard in the video. So, imhotep, if you like the guitar strumming on the song, you should get the Dutch Mix [I can provide an mp3 of it ;)], which has more emphasis on the guitars; if you like the drums, you should get the ordinary version, which is on most copies of The Complete and on the Elements DVD (great quality there). But there is no officially released version which features both the strummed guitar and the drums as they're heard in the video. Maybe OMA or Tubularman could make a mix including the drums from the ordinary version and the acoustic guitar from the Dutch Mix... but it's only up to them! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: April 24 2007, 22:27

Quote (Ugo @ April 22 2007, 17:05)
OK, let me get this straight... which is apparently hard to do for me... :p

The version in the video is a kind-of rehearsal of what the 'official' Blue Peter song would sound like. As such, the final song (any version of it) does not sound at all like what is heard in the video. So, imhotep, if you like the guitar strumming on the song, you should get the Dutch Mix [I can provide an mp3 of it ;)], which has more emphasis on the guitars; if you like the drums, you should get the ordinary version, which is on most copies of The Complete and on the Elements DVD (great quality there). But there is no officially released version which features both the strummed guitar and the drums as they're heard in the video. Maybe OMA or Tubularman could make a mix including the drums from the ordinary version and the acoustic guitar from the Dutch Mix... but it's only up to them! :)

Thank you. :)
I'd love the dutch mix.
Profile PM 
8 replies since April 20 2007, 05:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net