Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Black Metal, Any one else into it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 24 2010, 19:09

@ Drealm: sorry about the wrong heading. I really thought I was addressing Lars, and that's where the Bathory reference comes from - he isn't fond of Hammerheart exactly because the singer sings instead of growling. :) Anyway, I do agree with you that balance is important: it sounds to me like there is little of that balance on Wintersun's album. Also, bits of it sound overcrowded, just like the King Crimson stuff I'm discussing in another topic, but I guess that having lots and lots of things all piled up on top of one another is another key feature of the genre. Anyway, I shall repeat here that my dislike for growling vocals comes the fact that most growling singers don't use pitches - they just do everything on a single "note", and that sounds an awful lot like rapping to me. As I never liked rap, I can't get to see what's the point of mixing it with very overladen guitars and keyboards and choirs and stuff, and this is basically why I'm not really into black/death metal. ;)

I've heard lots of good things about Therion from my metalhead friends. If I happen to get one of those albums of theirs with clean vocals I shall let you know what I think about them.

Of course Mike did all the screaming - I call it screaming rather than growling - on "Five Miles Out" by himself; he also did on other songs, particularily from the Heaven's Open album, such as "No Dream" and "Make Make". That's supposed to be his angry voice, and it's also commonly known as the Caveman voice. It's not really a natural voice - it's a little bit processed.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2010, 17:24

Maybe your perception of the vocals on wintersun is right; because I must admit that I listen so much to the music itself that I don't give much attention to vocals. I can say that my overall feeling about wintersun is that the vocals fits and don't suck, and there's also some back vocals and clean parts that are just great. I'm also really used to these vocals because of my background in this genre so it may annoy you way more than me.

I really agree about your comparison of rap/death and the monotone way they are made; more like talking than signing (your point right?). I searched in my mind about a band that could be doing melodies while growling and again Novembers Doom came to mind.

About Therion, if you want a suggestion of album without growls, try Sirius B (there's no "A", don't bother searching for that!;) because it's also my favorite album from them.

Thanks for your info about the caveman voice.

Next post will be about Bathory's album.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2011, 13:54

Quote (Drealm @ Nov. 25 2010, 17:24)
Next post will be about Bathory's album.

We're waiting...
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 08:29

Sorry, I gave a listen and later forgot to come here!

In fact, I listened to half of the album because it was clear that I did not liked it while listening to it, it was simply not my kind of metal.

I liked the idea but somehow the drive of the music, the compositions did not catch me at all.

This metal genre is so wide, can't love everything I guess.

Recently my cousin, who know my genre, had me discover a band, Finsterforst, and I really like it.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 09:44

Fair enough. The Bathory album was definitely an acquired taste for me.

Let's see, who might you like... ever heard of Opeth? I noticed you said you liked Cannibal Corpse... how about Entombed? Their album Left Hand Path is one of my favorite death metal albums ever (personally I lean more towards black metal than death, I'm rather choosy about what death metal I listen to).
Profile PM 
24 replies since Nov. 16 2010, 13:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net