Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bird Cave, How to Release the Birds?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 07:59

Tubularman's recent post made me realise that although I've completed the Gravitar quest and the 24 medal quest, there are some "incidentals" I've never carried out. Releasing the birds in the Bird Cave is one of them. How is it done? I've been entering it through the portal in the world with the green crystal pillars (via the hall of tunnels), and even though I've tried various lighting conditions and avatars the birds stay locked up!
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 14:12

To unlock the birds you will need a key.  You can find it somewhere in the cavern.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2010, 19:48

Quote (The Thin Man @ Mar. 06 2010, 14:12)
To unlock the birds you will need a key.  You can find it somewhere in the cavern.

Thanks, TM - although finding a key in all those nooks and crannies is going to be daunting. Don't be surprised if I come back pleading for more help!  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 08:13

OK, I grovellingly request another clue. I've searched underwater, near the bases of the pillars, near the two gravitars, and I've let the dragon carry me around in the hope that it will reveal the location of the key...
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 10:03

Hmm...   you've searched underwater, but have you found a treasure chest?
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 17:35

It also depends a bit on how you arrive into the Bird Cave. I find the most fun way is through the tunnels collecting bells. ;)

The Bird Cave has more than one "instance", as we found playing on-line. For example sometimes the magic carpets under the big statues hands are there, sometimes not.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 18:06

I've just run Maestro to refresh my memory (it has been quite a while since I last played so the details are getting a bit hazy).

If you enter the bird cave by using the portal in the hall that has the green crystal columns then the key is still present in its underwater treasure chest.

Using the way you describe materialises you next to the sunken ship in the main pool.  The treasure chest is not in that pool.  There is another little pool close to the avatar pen (where you collect the medal as the reward at the end) between the pen itself and the entrance to the tunnel where the "electronic pterodactyl" appears.  Dive into it and you can't fail to find the treasure chest.

Olrac is right that sometimes objects are present and sometimes not, depending how you reach the world in then first place.  This has certainly caused some confusion in the past, but I think the key and chest are always in the cave.

The normal way to enter the bird cave (if anything can be called normal) is to follow the tunnels collecting the TB logos as you go.  If you explore these tunnels thoroughly then you should also be able to find a shark.

Happy hunting!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 19:50

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 07 2010, 17:35)
It also depends a bit on how you arrive into the Bird Cave. I find the most fun way is through the tunnels collecting bells. ;)

The Bird Cave has more than one "instance", as we found playing on-line. For example sometimes the magic carpets under the big statues hands are there, sometimes not.

Thanks Olrac. Magic carpets as well? Something else to look out for! I've come across the "more than one instance" aspect myself. I think that of all the worlds in Maestro this one is the most unpredictable.

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a poll to see which world in Maestro people like best, but a) I'm not sure how to set up a poll; and 2) I get the impression that only a few people follow the Maestro thread anyway...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2010, 19:53

Quote (The Thin Man @ Mar. 07 2010, 18:06)
I've just run Maestro to refresh my memory (it has been quite a while since I last played so the details are getting a bit hazy).

If you enter the bird cave by using the portal in the hall that has the green crystal columns then the key is still present in its underwater treasure chest.

Using the way you describe materialises you next to the sunken ship in the main pool.  The treasure chest is not in that pool.  There is another little pool close to the avatar pen (where you collect the medal as the reward at the end) between the pen itself and the entrance to the tunnel where the "electronic pterodactyl" appears.  Dive into it and you can't fail to find the treasure chest.

Olrac is right that sometimes objects are present and sometimes not, depending how you reach the world in then first place.  This has certainly caused some confusion in the past, but I think the key and chest are always in the cave.

The normal way to enter the bird cave (if anything can be called normal) is to follow the tunnels collecting the TB logos as you go.  If you explore these tunnels thoroughly then you should also be able to find a shark.

Happy hunting!

Thanks, O thin one  :)

I'm pretty sure I've seen the treasure chest you mention, but not on my search yesterday. I actually tried to dive into the pool under the avatar pen, but couldn't - obviously I should have tried the pool you mention in its vicinity.

There's something fascinating about Maestro. It creates the impression that its very reluctant to give up its secrets - unlike Tr3s Lunas, which gives, and keeps on giving.
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 04:50

A poll would have been a fun idea five years ago when there were quite a number of players exploring the world.  I suspect we are down to single figures now though, and even the enthusiasts haven't played in a long, long time.

However, a poll might stimulate more players to re-surface so don't let me put you off.

One problem with the polls is that they are limited to 8 or 10 options, and you would need more than this to include all the Maestro worlds.  Thinking about it, it would be difficult for me to pick a favourite world anyway; would it be favourite to play, or favourite visually?  They would be quite different so you might need to have two polls.

If you do a poll I'll contribute by giving a vote :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 06:23

Hi Thin Man, as I said, I'm not sure how to set up a poll.

My favourite Maestro world is the balloons world. There's something wild and majestic about that barren landscape, with just a solitary statue looking over the infinite. It captures the feel of the best of Mike's music.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 06:41

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 08 2010, 11:23)
Hi Thin Man, as I said, I'm not sure how to set up a poll.

To set up a poll, you just use the "new poll" button which is next to "new topic". It'll then present you with a text box to enter the poll choices (one line for each). There is a short description of how to do this also in help.

Give it a go. If you want to try one out as a test, feel free to do so and just E-mail contact@tubular.net if it goes horribly wrong and you want rid of it!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 08:45

I found the key! Thanks everyone for your help... I notice that "Our Father" begins as soon as the key is grabbed, and stops only when the last bird is freed. Actually when each bird is freed, there's an additional sound that suggests that it's flown into the stained-glass window and left the bird cave world altogether.
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 12:02

Nice one nightspore!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 15:00

The RSPB would be proud of you Daniel!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
berillio Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 08:41

My experience at releasing birds is different: after collecting all the TB logos I get a key in the top right part of the screen. I enter the cavern and approach the birds. I shoot, but I realize I am throwing hats rather than keys. I go back to the tunnel of the logos and target the light switch. I get back in the cavern and now the pillars have no cages on their tops! Did the cages become invisible in the different light, or did I free all the birds at once without even realising it? Any comment is welcome...
Berillio
Profile PM 
sphinx Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2020, 09:31

I don´t know how to release the birds after collecting the tubular bells of the tunnel and get the key. Which is the next step? I don´t see any kind of lock in the cages...
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2020, 15:31

It’s now a very long time since I last played, but I think you just press the space bar to throw the key at the cage(s).
Profile PM 
sphinx Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2020, 13:31

If you press the space bar, you throw flying saucers instead of keys and the birds still caught in the cages. Any other suggestion, please?
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2020, 08:52

I've just played this part of Maestro to refresh my memory - it's been so long since I last played.

You are right, when you enter the cave pressing the space bar just sends out flying saucers.  What you need to do first is find the key to the bird cages.  You can find it in a treasure chest that is located underwater in one of the pools (the smallest pool, which you might need to search for).

When you collect the key you can then throw keys by pressing the space bar.

Go to each cage in turn to release the bird inside.  The music changes to Our Father during this part.

When all the birds have been released you will hear a special sound that means one of the collectable medals can now be found.

Hope this helps.
Profile PM 
21 replies since Mar. 06 2010, 07:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net