Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Billboard European Albums Chart, Boxed charted in July 2009< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Skeletor Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 25 2009, 12:22

Has anyone noticed that Boxed is currently at number 84 (76 last week) on the Billboard European album charts?

I'm a little surprised...

http://www.billboard.com/charts....9
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 25 2009, 18:14

Maybe some people got caught up in all of the fuss about TB that's happened recently, and thought that Boxed is a good collection of Mike's early works. In my view it's not, but that's obviously another matter. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 12:59

That is indeed surprising...
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 13:23

Yeah I`m pretty amazed by that.I wonder which countries it`s selling in the most?..It bodes well for Mike`s forthcoming remasters I guess.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 18:50

Could it be the "Boxed Tubular Bells"?  :)  It would be more logical, as I think Boxed (1976) CDs are not available right now!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 18:56

Quote (Nacho @ July 27 2009, 23:50)
Could it be the "Boxed Tubular Bells"?  :)  It would be more logical, as I think Boxed (1976) CDs are not available right now!!

You could be right with that one,and Billboard have made some genuine mistake over it I would guess?...Maybe someone at Universal supplied them with the mis-information???
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 09:21

Doubt that very much as why would they just put put TB and potentially damage sales of the remaster?To be honest the remaster bares more resemblance to the Boxed remix IMO anyway.Listen carefully and a lot of the extra little guitar bits are right there on the Boxed remix.Most notably on the acoustic guitar solo leading up to the end bass riff.There's an electric guitar playing chords behind it and there's an acoustic guitar that plays a big old open E chord right before the bass riff starts.Neither of them are on the original (or rather the electric behind the acoustic is much lower in the mix and the acoustic chord is just not audible).Same thing in a lot of places on side 2.Although i like the new version it would be better to call it a remix of a remix.
 In it's own right the Boxed set is pretty good i think.You need to have a copy of the original HR to appreciate just how different the Boxed mix really is of course,the differences on Ommadawn are very minimal and Collaborations could have been better but you have to put it into context.
 People whinge about Collaborations but think about the title for a moment.Every track on there is a collaboration and at the time he only really worked with David Bedford and Les Penning on any kind of Collaboration.Virgin wouldn't have been able to get the rights from EMI/Havest for the Ayres stuff cos they were notoriously tight arsed about it and Mike sort of disowned the Sallyangie stuff.So that left them with the stuff from 73 onwards whichwould leave extracts from the Bedford records (arguably The Sirens from The Odysee would ahve been a good choice)and the bits and peices  with Penning as well as First Excursion which was recorded weeks before the thing went to press.
 It was never meant to be a collection of Mike's odds and sods or it would have been called Odds And Sods (if the Who hadn't gotten there first).
 I've often whined about it but lately i've got my vinyl out and as a collection of work with other people it's not bad.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 10:57

Edit.When i say Remaster in the above post i mean the 2009 remix.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
7 replies since July 25 2009, 12:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net