08:43 - 13:22 (Main theme...very melancholic but beautiful) 19  [38.78%]
13:23 - 14:57 (Child-like theme with exciting mood) 2  [4.08%]
14:58 - 17:37 (Return to surface with a happy theme) 9  [18.37%]
17:38 - 20:40 (Melancholic choir ending with orchestra) 3  [6.12%]
20:41 - 21:29 (Flute ending) 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best theme in Part 1?, 'Cos I love it all...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
rollosb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 27 2002, 07:29

:D Which spot in Part One do you like the most?

I still can't decide...there are so many beautiful themes in Part One....

--------------
Rollo - The Psychedelic Freaky Guy
Profile PM WEB 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 12:34

Hu !

Am I the only one to like more 5:44 to 8:03 part ?
The 8:43 to 13:22 is the part that I think it's the most difficult to listen.
Profile PM WEB 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2003, 11:18

Bass guitar riff then sleigh bells followed by two guitar solos, the second gets me up there with the gods, every time.
Deffo the middle prior to the choral singing. But hey the whole album is just wah!

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 21 2003, 09:29

That's right, the bass riff along with jingle bells and great guitar solo is just wonderfull...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2003, 18:08

Best theme in Hergest Ridge, in my humble opinion it is impossible to say, as it is all one great album!

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2005, 04:27

I really love the 'walking theme' especially when played by the bass and guitar together about 5 mintues in on side 1 (or something like that).  You can't really hear it on the original mix, but it's clear as a bell on the remix.  It's another reason why I prefer the remix.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 18:51

I'd not say that HR is a theme-based album [TB and Ommadawn are, HR not so much IMHO ;)], but if I had to choose one I'd pick the huge crescendo that culminates at 4:12 in the original mix with the snare and the trumpet. I never understood why Mike removed that in the remix, and thisi is one of the reasons for not liking the remix as much as the original mix. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 21 2005, 19:46

Difficult one, I like it all, but if my life depended upon it, I would have to say my favourite "theme" is the section from 8.03- 13.22.
I know it can sound melancholy, but it's also  a very beautiful piece :) .  This section often has the ability to move me to tears, just the sheer majesty of the music :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: May 22 2005, 15:47

I was torn between Moonchildhippy's choice and the one I ultimately chose - those guitar solos before the slow, choral ending. Wow! Just had to play those again too!  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 22 2005, 15:50

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 22 2005, 00:46)
I would have to say my favourite "theme" is the section from 8.03- 13.22.
I know it can sound melancholy, but it's also  a very beautiful piece :) .  This section often has the ability to move me to tears, just the sheer majesty of the music :) .

Yep! i agree entirely with MCH`s sentiments, such a beautiful section.   :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 30 2005, 18:55

Hey, I've noticed something about Hergest Ridge, that very few pieces of music have the ability to do.  Part 1 from 08:43-13:49 , has this ability to move me to tears.  The Thunderstorm?Martian Section has the ability to make me want to dance.This section always makes me happy          :) .

I was playing HR in the car today, whilst playing Part 1 I could feel a lump rising in my throat, my eyes began to fill with tears. I had to pull off of the road to get my composure.  Playing the Thundedstorm?Martian Section, I wanted to dance, but was worried about making an idiot of myself in a public place    :O .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: May 31 2005, 07:10

Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 30 2005, 18:55)
Hey, I've noticed something about Hergest Ridge, that very few pieces of music have the ability to do.  Part 1 from 08:43-13:49 , has this ability to move me to tears.  The Thunderstorm?Martian Section has the ability to make me want to dance.This section always makes me happy          :) .

I was playing HR in the car today, whilst playing Part 1 I could feel a lump rising in my throat, my eyes began to fill with tears. I had to pull off of the road to get my composure.  Playing the Thundedstorm?Martian Section, I wanted to dance, but was worried about making an idiot of myself in a public place    :O .

Whats wrong with making an idiot of yourself in a public place?-I make an idiot of myself all over the place! :laugh:.Anyway,I have to say that I love every part of H.R and could never become tired of listening to it.The gentle build up in part one,leading to a powerful,emotional experience&then gently drifting again ect.Definately going to visit the real place now&will be looking forward to playing H.R en route&Also when Im there.Might even dance about the hills if the mood takes me.That would be a real spectacle for sure!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 31 2005, 17:44

Quote (tansy @ May 31 2005, 12:10)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ May 30 2005, 18:55)

Whats wrong with making an idiot of yourself in a public place?-I make an idiot of myself all over the place! :laugh:.Anyway,I have to say that I love every part of H.R and could never become tired of listening to it.The gentle build up in part one,leading to a powerful,emotional experience&then gently drifting again ect.Definately going to visit the real place now&will be looking forward to playing H.R en route&Also when Im there.Might even dance about the hills if the mood takes me.That would be a real spectacle for sure!

I had to play Hergest Ridge again today  :) , ended up with similar feeling to yesterday.  I too could listen to HR over and over without EVER getting bored of it.

Hey Tansy I'd love to join you on top of The Ridge for a dance to what else but Hergest Ridge  
  :) .

I guess maybe I worry too much about what other people think about me.  If people can't accept me for who  I am  then it's thier problem not mine :p .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 06:53

My sentiments exactly moonchildhippy.Goodness knows this life can throw up enough negatives so I love to see people happy,laughing,dancing & just being able to be themselves.I wasnt joking re:dancing - who knows there might be two strange spectacles to be seen whirling like dervish up on those hills! :laugh:
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 06:57

Quote (tansy @ June 01 2005, 06:53)
who knows there might be two strange spectacles to be seen

In other words - a pair of spectacles!

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 07:06

Quote (familyjules @ June 01 2005, 06:57)

;)

Jules

I'll raise my glass to that. :laugh:
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 01 2005, 15:16

Quote (tansy @ June 01 2005, 12:06)
Quote (familyjules @ June 01 2005, 06:57)

;)

Jules

I'll raise my glass to that. :laugh:

Me too :D .

Nope, make that two pairs of spectacles, as I wear glasses too :laugh:

Strange things happening in Them Thar Hills  :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 01 2005, 16:38

The folk-ish theme with lots of variations  :)  This must be the best part i think.....

Return to surface with a happy theme remain me about christmas. I feel snow in a way.. Its a good part of the album but The folk-ish theme is my favorite. I love tp play this part when am going to relax and just chill out. And the end part is really good to. This part is more kind than ommadawn. But Ommadawn is better of course! but the climax isnt so aggressiv. So if im going for a slow motion day i play this section. There am sitting and enjoy the song while starring out the window where the widn blows. really good album indeed. Almost hes best.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 04:24

I wasn't able to add my vote since I clicked the 'view results' button first. :/

I've only just recently listened to HR a couple of times, and I'm really digging the bass section around thirteen and a half minutes into part one. I guess that would be the "13:23 - 14:57 (Child-like theme with exciting mood)" option. One of the coolest things I've ever heard. I wish it were longer.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 05:21

I can´t vote on this one... this album is very hard for me to listen to, it always give me the blues   :/

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
24 replies since Dec. 27 2002, 07:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net