08:43 - 13:22 (Main theme...very melancholic but beautiful) 19  [38.78%]
13:23 - 14:57 (Child-like theme with exciting mood) 2  [4.08%]
14:58 - 17:37 (Return to surface with a happy theme) 9  [18.37%]
17:38 - 20:40 (Melancholic choir ending with orchestra) 3  [6.12%]
20:41 - 21:29 (Flute ending) 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best theme in Part 1?, 'Cos I love it all...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2007, 14:25

I forgot to mention that I disagree with the "Child-like theme with exciting mood" description. To me, that section is disturbing and even a bit threatening.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: May 05 2007, 19:03

That was actually rather difficult.

It ended up being the choir at the end...there was something so intense and so beautiful about that ending that words couldn't describe it.

But running a close second was the middle section (8:03-13:22), the mian theme, which was very beautiful. The oboes at that section were very powerful, and I love the way the texture built up.

I also admit that I really liked the transition from the first minutes as the music had been building up to this climactic point where change was imminent, and the crashing of the gong had a similar (though definitely not as powerful) effect that the TB finalé did.

Definitely my favourite MO composition in any case.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2007, 10:28

Hello friends. I completely agree with Moonchildhippy and Tansy about their way of seeing life and Hergest Ridge. I completely agree with Ugo speaking about the drum and trumpet section & that being hidden in the 'Boxed' version. I completely agree with Ugo saying Hergest Ridge is not a track-oriented album as well, as it's lineal and blurred in some of its divisions. I'm happy to be able to agree with people that agree to be able to be happy.

HAPPY???  :laugh:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2007, 06:42

I think the section mentioned here as 08.43-13.22 is one of Mike`s strongest melodies and most emotive pieces he has ever composed.Yes it is very melancholic and moving,but it also displays a wealth of depth that I don`t think that Mike has ever equalled.To be fair to Mike I don`t think he has really attempted to in all honesty given his mind set at the time.That said despite the strong feeling of sadness this section conveys,somehow for me it`s a piece of music that makes me feel so alive in a strange way.Human beings are capable of such amazing things sometimes,which in itself is something to rejoice.It`s also the theme I most associate with the pastoral concept of the album as well.So maybe old Mother Nature had a hand in it as well.You can never rule her out mind the cunning minx..
All of which adds up as the perfect foil for the oncoming main theme bass and sleighbells just around the corner.So many emotions in 21 and a half minutes,sometimes tears are the only release from it.Luckily for me I`m a big man nowadays and I can hold it all in..   ;)
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2015, 08:33

No doubt. The main theme in the middle. Deeply touching, one of the best thing Mike has ever composed I think. In fact, one of the best parts I´ve ever heard - not despite, rather because of its melancholic mood. Just wonderful.
A great album though which I hear not so often, a pity!
Profile PM 
24 replies since Dec. 27 2002, 07:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net