windchimegirl Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 09 2007, 07:40

Far Above The Clouds = WOW
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 10:45

I've voted in this but I can't remember which track I voted for!

It would either have been "Secrets", "The Source of Secrets" or "Far Above the Clouds".

"Far Above the Clouds" is arguably the album's strongest piece... every time that first huge bell chimes, it sends a shiver right down my spine. ...and when the original TB bassline kicks in towards the end, for some reason it always moves me, along with that solo.... simply stunning!!

But at the same time one of my very favourite tracks from this album has always been "The Source of Secrets" although I preferred the early version that appeared on XXV.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 15 2007, 22:28

Quote (maria @ Aug. 09 2005, 17:31)
my favourite in this album is 'serpent dream', he's once more brilliant with the spanish guitar and i like it also because the transition he makes from 'outcast' is perfect. i love how he goes crazy, filling my head with powerful metallic sounds of the electric guitars and then clears everything for a wooden dream.

To my ears, "Serpent Dream" has a disturbing quality. That lovely, exotic guitar melody morphs into something rather dangerous-sounding at the end. Although not a comfortable piece for me, I still love it to bits.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: July 16 2007, 10:47

Gotta be Outcast, no contest. :D
But I love Top Of The Morning and Man In The Rain as well. :) Apart from those, this isn't really one of my favourite albums...

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 12:53

Hmmm, Far Above The Clouds, with Top Of The Morning an extremely close second.
:)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2008, 06:58

While I think "Top of the Morning" is a very nice piece, it's not a highlight, for me. But that may be my antipathy to piano music, in general, speaking.

I agree with many others that "Far Above the Clouds" is great. But then I like "Serpent Dream" a lot, too. And "Outcast" is certainly an ear-catcher. It's occurred to me that these three pieces convey a strong Rock vibe. And, when it comes to MO, rockishness isn't what usually appeals to me.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 27 2009, 10:03

I think the album isn't really a TB album. But the album does deserve a strong name, so maybe it was a good idea after all. The secret tunes are quite boring to me.

The top of the morning, outcast, serpent dream, far above the clouds and man in the rain are fantastic pieces.

The last focussed album for me untill Mots came out. Took 10 years :)
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: April 16 2010, 03:04

After many plays and narrowing down of possible candidates, I finally went with "Jewel In the Crown"

"FATC" is absolutely awesome, but only for certain moods & situations. At least to my ears.

Same with "TOTM". Very evocative & moody, but just a little too much "noise" to appreciate fully.

The other tracks are all very good, although I disliked "MITR". Reminded me too much of "MS", which I know was the intent, but to me it sounded not so much as a reinvention as a continuation.

So I went with "JITC". I simply love the  Asian/Indian signatures running throughout the piece; it is very calming, inventive, provocative and memorable. And very well produced too.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 16 2010, 10:59

TOTM should have, perhaps will be(I hope) used in a movie soundtrack. It belongs there. A tear jerking Academy award winning film. It was reminiscent of the now defunct "Classical Gas" but far superior. Perhaps I'll submit a script to Spielberg or Scorcese or Cameron and suggest this diddy be used. Your not buying this are you?

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2010, 11:46

Outcast.Love the guitars on it.

"out demon out" :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: April 18 2010, 00:47

I realized while choosing that I did not have any best song on this album; I love this album equally all the way long.

But having to make a choice, I ended up with Jewel in the crown.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 20 2010, 03:25

Having said that i do love Top Of The Morning.That piano part at the start has always had an autumnal feel to me.Really can't say why.
 Actually i love the whole album but aside from the opening track and the re-appearance of the famous bass riff at the end it doesn't have much to do with TB and stands in it's own right IMHO.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 23 2010, 22:09

'Top of the Morning' stands alone in my opinion, probably because its originality and unusual feeling into Mike's discography, and the rich mixture between classic and modern.

If you like that style of piano playing, simple but melodic and clever, check out any work from Wayne Gratz or Michael Gettel. Both of them have wonderful material that justify a whole album, and loads of them, in this style.

Second would be 'Man in the Rain', 'Jewel in the Crown' and 'Inner Child', very equally spotted.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 23 2010, 23:42

Quote (Delfín @ April 23 2010, 22:09)
'Top of the Morning' stands alone in my opinion, probably because its originality and unusual feeling into Mike's discography, and the rich mixture between classic and modern.

If you like that style of piano playing, simple but melodic and clever, check out any work from Wayne Gratz or Michael Gettel. Both of them have wonderful material that justify a whole album, and loads of them, in this style.

It's not so much the piano - which is actually very Chopin - that I like but the little stumbling melody on an electronic instrument (I don't know what it is) that comes after.

The piano on "Lament for Atlantis", incidentally, is very Mozart - it could easily have come from the slow movement of one of Mozart's piano concertos (although it doesn't - I have all 27 of them).
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 30 2010, 21:22

Wow man. Quite admired by such knowing.

Well, I think the little stumbling melody is a combination of a synthesised recorder and a synthesised violinor strings all toghether. But it's made with a lot of taste and the Celtic feeling intertwins with the scaling piano. The tambourine does a lot of good work as well, and even the background 'dancey' rythm.

At the end, definately Oldfield.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
MrFileshare Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2011, 11:37

In my opinion 'Far Above The Clouds' is the best track on the album, and the best piece of music Mike Oldfield has ever done!
It's an epic masterpiece!

There's something with the words from the kid that really triggers your imagination.
And the bells, the guitar, the drums, and the voice of Amar, together it's like a massive overload to your senses, beautiful and amazing!
I get goosebumps from this music, it's like the voice of God!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2011, 20:48

Quote (MrFileshare @ Jan. 08 2011, 11:37)
In my opinion 'Far Above The Clouds' is the best track on the album, and the best piece of music Mike Oldfield has ever done!
It's an epic masterpiece!

There's something with the words from the kid that really triggers your imagination.
And the bells, the guitar, the drums, and the voice of Amar, together it's like a massive overload to your senses, beautiful and amazing!
I get goosebumps from this music, it's like the voice of God!

Welcome to the forum MrFileshare - your name must strike terror in the hearts of all musicians!  :laugh:

The words from the child do create an odd effect, don't they... I wonder if it's the sound or the meaning of the words that create the effect. I suspect it's the meaning... There's something about announcing a departure that can't help but stir emotions - as Milamber clearly realises!  ;)
Profile PM 
MrFileshare Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2011, 04:48

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 08 2011, 20:48)
Welcome to the forum MrFileshare - your name must strike terror in the hearts of all musicians!  :laugh:

The words from the child do create an odd effect, don't they... I wonder if it's the sound or the meaning of the words that create the effect. I suspect it's the meaning... There's something about announcing a departure that can't help but stir emotions - as Milamber clearly realises!  ;)

Mike doesn't have to worry, I pay for his music. :D

Yes, I think it's the meaning of the words, and the fact they are spoken by a child.
I also love music that tells some kind of story, and where it is left up to you to fill in the missing pieces.

And the tubular bells is such a fascinating instrument.
It's so powerful, and the lingering background tones are awesome!

I assume there's something biblical about it all.
Wether you are religious or not you are affected by those things.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2011, 05:17

Hi MrFileshare.

I think "Far Above the Clouds" is a masterpiece as well. The story line does seem to be conveying a very powerful and dramatic goodbye!! - with all the emotions that go with it.

Nightspore - yes, Milamber gave a very good demonstration of such an 'ending' at the closure of his awards!! In real life those kind of 'endings' are quite traumatic - like a death or something.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
75 replies since Aug. 08 2005, 12:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net