Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best TB III track, will it be a whitewash??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 09:50

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 11 2005, 09:31)
That whole concept is what I mean by the Tubular Bells 'discovery'.

Thanks for that, Mr D.  I'm not sure I buy it, but it's an interesting theory, nonetheless.....

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 09:56

aha, yes Jules I feel the same, to think THAT one word 'Discovery' went on to make 184 others!   :D

I think alot of what is discussed between fans requires face to face communication to avoid misunderstandings etc  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 12:16

Quote (familyjules @ Aug. 11 2005, 14:50)

Thanks for that, Mr D.  I'm not sure I buy it, but it's an interesting theory, nonetheless.....

I'd just add that I don't say this lightly. It's something I've thought about for many years, gradually coming to this conclusion. In a crude sort of way, for Tolkien, or Wagner, the symbol they drew on was the idea of the 'ring'; for Rossetti it was the 'woman/goddess'. For Mike it's 'tubular bells' (a more uniquely personal symbol than for those others). Oddly enough, though there is almost nothing that I'm certain about in life, this is one of the things I come closest to being certain about. By letting the idea kick around in the back of my mind over a long period of time, so much of what Mike does started to make more sense, somehow.

For a start, try thinking about it while you listen to Tubular Bells 3... Outcast, Inner Child, Man in the Rain, Far above the clouds...... There's a story there about someone who feels rejected, finds inner strength but feels alone, and an outsider, but believes that he knows something important and precious... and he can't spell it out for us because it's beyond words. All he can do is leave us with the sound of Tubular Bells....
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 20:34

Top of the Morning is such an outstanding piano piece.

but I have to say that Far Above the Clouds was quite possibly the best ending i've heard to any album....ever. such power. so explosive. so awesome.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 06:40

Quote (tubularbills @ Aug. 24 2005, 20:34)
but I have to say that Far Above the Clouds was quite possibly the best ending i've heard to any album....ever. such power. so explosive. so awesome.

For my money, the ending of Ommadawn Part One makes it seem like so much hot air with no real substance.  Now that's a climax!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 07:00

Quote (familyjules @ Aug. 25 2005, 19:40)
Quote (tubularbills @ Aug. 24 2005, 20:34)

For my money, the ending of Ommadawn Part One makes it seem like so much hot air with no real substance.  Now that's a climax!

I've always loved them both, but I have to say that the encore version of Far Above the Clouds from Horseguards Parade is perhaps my favourite of all of Mike's huge climaxes. The Ommadawn Part One ending and the ones from Amarok aren't far behind.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 07:18

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 11 2005, 12:16)

I'd just add that I don't say this lightly. It's something I've thought about for many years, gradually coming to this conclusion. In a crude sort of way, for Tolkien, or Wagner, the symbol they drew on was the idea of the 'ring'; for Rossetti it was the 'woman/goddess'. For Mike it's 'tubular bells' (a more uniquely personal symbol than for those others). Oddly enough, though there is almost nothing that I'm certain about in life, this is one of the things I come closest to being certain about. By letting the idea kick around in the back of my mind over a long period of time, so much of what Mike does started to make more sense, somehow.

For a start, try thinking about it while you listen to Tubular Bells 3... Outcast, Inner Child, Man in the Rain, Far above the clouds...... There's a story there about someone who feels rejected, finds inner strength but feels alone, and an outsider, but believes that he knows something important and precious... and he can't spell it out for us because it's beyond words. All he can do is leave us with the sound of Tubular Bells....

Took the words out of my mouth, amen to that.

I've also thought, to expand upon your point Alan, that there are two very different sides to the music: There's the side that we as the listeners pick up on from hearing the music, and then there's the way in which it was intended as a statement. This could be demonstrated at how Alan D here took my advice a while back and chose to listen to 'Voices' by Vangelis - because I recommended it. I got one thing from Voices, but Alan got something different - in the end it seems not quite as, shall we say, profound as I have found it to be.

I fully agree with Alan's convictions that TBIII is like a personal story, and I feel that subconsciously, Mike could never avoid doing that to any one of his albums. Sometimes he's more restrained perhaps, or maybe it's just that we're not hearing the message properly? I'm not fully certain of this, and my bad explanation goes lengths to explain the embryonic nature of my theory, but I still feel it's possible.

I suppose it's a bit how literature analysts can tell what an author's personality is like by reading their works. Another thing I've wondered, is does Mike know about this, and is he playing with us all? Remember: Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 08:07

Quote (arron11196 @ Aug. 25 2005, 12:18)
I got one thing from Voices, but Alan got something different - in the end it seems not quite as, shall we say, profound as I have found it to be.

Just to say in passing that the jury is still out on that - I'm quite happy to believe that there's something important in there but I just haven't 'tuned in' to it well enough.
I fully agree with Alan's convictions that TBIII is like a personal story, and I feel that subconsciously, Mike could never avoid doing that to any one of his albums. Sometimes he's more restrained perhaps, or maybe it's just that we're not hearing the message properly?
I suppose it's a bit how literature analysts can tell what an author's personality is like by reading their works.

I think it's important not to get too literal about it. (I remember C.S. Lewis once commenting on the critics'  detailed theorising about the origin of his Narnia stories, and explaining that they were all completely wrong. On the other hand, to have maintained that the idea of a supernatural lion was a profound symbol for him would have been right.) Exactly how much conscious or unconscious autobiography we can or should read into TB3 is highly debateable; but that the music is drawing on 'Tubular Bells' symbolism that sustains Mike in important ways is surely certain? The Man in the Rain walking up into the mountains with his bag of secrets and leaving behind only the sound of Tubular Bells is an absolutely loaded image, don't y'think?
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 12:35

Absolutely. It almost sounds exactly as if he is trying to get Tubular Bells out of his system at that point, to make a very 'Tubular' statement at the end of something which I suppose most conventional critics would consider dissimilar to the last two.

Well also, I didn't mean quite that literally, as in the written word - just a similar concept, or underlying symmetry Alan.

To get back to the idea of the topic, my favourite has to be Far Above The Clouds. In fact, I think it has to be my most favourite piece of music full stop. I don't personally find it over the top; or rather I find that that's part of the piece. To me, It is trying to give an extra brilliant finale to the spirit of the great experiment. (which, as I have written about in a previous post, in my opinion, all about the build up the the finale)) I also still refuse to audition the better than FATC version at the Horseguards Parade (i.e. the encore) because of my stubborn idea that it would spoil the main CD version somehow.

Just my tuppence.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 12:53

Quote (arron11196 @ Aug. 25 2005, 17:35)
Well also, I didn't mean quite that literally, as in the written word - just a similar concept, or underlying symmetry Alan.

It's OK - I understand very well where you're coming from. I was just talking around the subject really - not arguing - just looking at some other aspects of it.

To me, It is trying to give an extra brilliant finale to the spirit of the great experiment.

Yep. Bang on. Pushing right to the limit - and for me, just a bit over the edge - and for you, staying this side. But both of us applauding regardless because the effort was so brave.
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 12:25

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 11 2005, 12:16)

That is excactly why it is my all time favorite album! Truly a personal, deep, emotional experience for me. And Man In The Rain needs to be there for me. I love most of Mike's work, but nothing touches me the way TBIII does. Nothing by anyone else either. It is my own story, my own escape. Yikes! I must now go and put on those headphones yet again!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 12:45

Quote (far above the clouds @ Aug. 31 2005, 17:25)
And Man In The Rain needs to be there for me.

I agree; its presence is necessary. The fact that it's a kind of deliberate pastiche of Moonlight Shadow is really important - Mike recalling his own past (and ours too, partly) to achieve a specific effect that can only be achieved in this way.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 12:59

And luckily, it's a great song!  :)

I really do prefer this to MS, though I can find no reason to say that it's better than MS.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
natertb Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 14:28

My song is Jewel In The Crown. In one sense, it does not at all sound like Mike, but when you really think about it, it is him.

A lot of the songs on here are very personal, IMO, considerably The Inner Child through Moonwatch. Nonetheless, it is a great album.

--------------
Waiting hour by hour...
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 23:15

must be "far above the clouds"!! This song is great! I love it!! This song suite live and album versions. The best part must be from the  concerts in 1999. All of them is amazing! The best part must be when he just turn ommadawn modern, the drums and mix them with tubular bells. Amazing theme is far above the clouds. The song text gives this song a mystical theme over it. fact gaves me the feeling what i feel sometimes. Just blown away and they all see you art work shining throught they faces, like a shock. This hard aggresive feeling thats dissapear in the clouds and never show its faces. Just a goodbye with a beginning with a tb theme!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 05:54

Secrets + Far above the clouds

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 14:08

I'm surprised that Inner Child has zero votes! It's beautiful, especially when the electric guitar comes in near the end :)

But I can also understand why there are more votes for Man in the Rain and Far above the Clouds!
This is one great album!!
(Shame it's not released on vinyl!;)

...Nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of 24 brilliant albums! :p

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Woman in the rain Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 15:54

Man in the rain,of course :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 12:38

Quote (Woman in the rain @ Oct. 19 2005, 15:54)
Man in the rain,of course :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

You surprised me with that one :p

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubular ireland Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2007, 16:41

Love man in the rain, Top of the morning is fantastic to  :)
Profile PM 
75 replies since Aug. 08 2005, 12:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net