Question: Best Ommadawn version :: Total Votes:50
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1975 original version 18  [36.00%]
1976 'Boxed' version 10  [20.00%]
2010 new mix 22  [44.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best Ommadawn version, Which version do you prefer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
kazav Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 16 2010, 18:15

I only ever had the Boxed version (which I got for my 16th birthday centuries ago) and that's the one that's stuck in my head. When I got the 2010 version, I liked it and still do but it just seems wrong somehow, even though it's brilliantly done.  Anyway, it's the only one I have now since I lost all my MO albums in a house fire a while ago. :-(

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2010, 02:49

Quote (kazav @ Oct. 16 2010, 23:15)
I lost all my MO albums in a house fire a while ago. :-(

Hi Kazav.

Blimey - poor you. :/

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2010, 07:33

Boxed turns up on Ebay on occasion, in fact 18 at the moment including a buy-it-now for 6.99 + 4.00 postage. They are on LP though the CD set is very rare.
If you inclined the SQ Quad decoded in a DVD-A image is out there in torrent land. I think the video layer also has the decoded mix just niot as high quality.
I do like the 2010 mix (and the lost mix) but I feel a bit short changed by the African drums getting faded out a bit too soon. I do like that bit, some times if you listen realy hard and loud you can heat them stop with a different beat.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2010, 08:36

They are all great......Pt one for me is as near to perfection musically as it gets...if I had to choose, then there is something slightly different about Boxed which would swing me down that route...always has for some reason, same with Hergest Ridge, all very subtle and probably only ever understood by the discerning fan.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2010, 08:39

I feel for you Kazav....I lent a fairly big proportion of my  Oldfield collection, including rare 45's to another fan.....only for hime to move and not give me his address...."Bastard" springs to mind.....all that early stuff is irreplaceable.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2010, 12:31

Quote (Hastengas @ Dec. 01 2010, 13:39)
I lent a fairly big proportion of my  Oldfield collection, including rare 45's to another fan.....only for hime to move and not give me his address...."Bastard"

Yeah!!  :O   :(

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2010, 19:23

Take heart in the knowledge that it's the music that counts in the end: that's independent of all the odd little packaging quirks you get around the world and is available on the net anywhere.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2010, 09:43

Yep, but there are also the fond memories attached to some of the items, I also had three letters from MO in the collection, they are irreplaceable...but much water has flowed under the bridge since then.....I shouldnt be bitter......

But Iam....
;-)
Profile PM 
hph Offline

Posted: May 25 2011, 14:34

Hard decision for me between the original version and the 2010 mix but in the end I'm simply listening more often to the new mix.
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 04 2011, 21:31

The 1975 original gets my vote. My favourite album was always Ommadawn and I was really dissappointed in the 2010 mix. It started off really clear, crisp and beautiful and then there's the change at 11:57, rather odd, sounds like a slip of the mixing slider, the finale of part 1 at 16:55 hasn't got the punch of the original at all. The original really opened up the soundstage at that point.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: July 18 2011, 12:28

Definetely the original 1975 mix.

All the dynamics seemed to have been removed from the new one, maybe it's all part of the 'volume war' thing. Quiet and loud are important things in Mike's music and add an air of realism. I like how Ommadwn (1975) starts so quiet and builds into an almighty crescendo.

Paddy Maolney's section in part 2 though is my real problem. This now sounds like 'mood music'. It's too 'airy-fairy', all that reverb makes it sound like Clannad or something. I've no problem with Clannad but the original mix sounded like two musicians at the top of their game sitting in a wooden room and playing exquisite music, the remix sounds like a cheesy, second-rate, Robin Hood soundtrack. Usually I give these things time to settle in, we all know the greatest music grows on you but I just can't bring myself to listening to it again.

That probably being the harshest thing I've ever written about anything, sorry about that, I ought to balance it with some positive vibes. The original mix compliments what is a truly astonishing and unique piece of music :)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2011, 06:07

If the joke could be removed from the demo version, then it would stand out as my favourite, even though side one is utterly brilliant and the guitar sections throughout the entire album are unsurpassed. Sally and Clodagh never receive enough credit for their contribution, and the demo version is a classic "if only!" situation. :D  :D  :D

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2011, 02:57

For me the 'Boxed' mix is the best one. It has incredible best dynamics than all other mixes. The original mix has always sound very muffled to me. All instruments are hidden deep in the mix, and you can really hear most of them by listening to it. 2010 mix is much more better, but it lacks with the dynamic flow. The instruments are more listenable but it's just not that. Boxed has the particulary instruments (tracks) very listenable, like psychedelic marimbas sounds (love it) coming on 12:57 and that stereo flute, the acoustic guitar in the begining of part II or the male choir in the end of part II. There is actually more details like that. So other mixes could not even exist for me :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2011, 04:56

Oh, and forgot about one thing. The begining of part II (guitar storm) has the flange effect, simmilar to that from the basses theme from Tubular Bells, wchich is stunning for me. It's make that part even more psychedelic. Like it very much, especially when listening with my headphones.
Profile PM 
ForeignAffair Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 04:11

I like the "Boxed" version, closely followed by the HDCD remaster.

Why? because it's the most LIVELY VERSION I have ever heard of it on CD. It's a joy to hear.

Again, is CDs of the "Deluxe" edition the same as HDCD?
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 25 2013, 16:23

Quote (hairy old hippy @ July 18 2011, 12:28)
Paddy Maolney's section in part 2 though is my real problem. This now sounds like 'mood music'. It's too 'airy-fairy', all that reverb makes it sound like Clannad or something.

I actually really like this, the slight new reverb on his performance makes it seem less harsh to my listening ears...

I had to vote 1975. I recently got the 2010 mix and was like  :O the quality is so good... so much new detail to my ears...

But... it's all for nothing if it doesn't have that screeching guitar over the end of part one. It's there, but it's just not as present anymore...

Back to the HDCD version for me. 90% of it might be less clear, with less detail, but I'll sacrifice quality to hear that screech

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 25 2013, 16:32

I'm setting on an ambitious project to see if I can mux the HDCD and 2010 recordings together to give that guitar a bit of life again. I'll let you know what I manage  :cool:

-----

It turned out pretty well, I ended up using the last segment of the 2010 mix with a FFT filter limited to the guitar range... that way, the amplitudes are all like for like. Unfortunately, there's only -6dB of headroom to play with, so I couldn't get quite as much presence in the guitar as I actually wanted to - but its definitely a whole lot better.

If anyone wants to hear, I can work something out :)

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
kcarr292 Offline

Posted: July 28 2013, 17:06

2010 Version for me.  Love the way it scrubs up.  A few details come to the surface which in my opinion enhance on the original.  Which ever version is your preference they are all different views of the same masterpiece.
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2013, 18:21

have both 75 and boxed versions on vinyl

both sounds like cardboard compared to 2010 version :D

sadly they didn't released the 2010 mix on vinyl !
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2015, 17:27

I heard the 2010 mix today on my drive back from Clacton. Wow! It's bl***y amazing. The clearest, crispest remaster/mix of any of his albums I have heard so far, and the music is so well blended.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 12 2010, 03:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net