Question: Best Ommadawn version :: Total Votes:50
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1975 original version 18  [36.00%]
1976 'Boxed' version 10  [20.00%]
2010 new mix 22  [44.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best Ommadawn version, Which version do you prefer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dude Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 12 2010, 03:51

Which version do you prefer and why?

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 09:07

The original for me.  Though, in truth, I can't really tell much difference between that and the Boxed remix.  The 2010 remix isn't bad, but the 'part one' climax diappoints - that lead guitar should be centre stage and pushing hard, and it just isn't in the new mix.  For one thing it's battling against the trumpet.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
pantofis Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 10:42

Boxef Remix - has the best dynamical flow. The climaxes are pretty loud and the buildups to them more exciting. The african drums go on forever. Nice, airy floating mix.

The 2010 is very nicely clean and crisp and is fantastic on headphones and 5.1. The bass sound is totally uncompromised and easily holds up with modern bass sounds.
The mix strkes me as quite tidy, a bit drier and warm sounding. But  there are some rather strange mixing decisions: for exapmple the climax of part one...well he turned the glockenspiel and bells way down, so now it's all about the vocals, the african drums and the frenetical acoustic strumming...
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 12 2010, 13:05

Munich, live version in December 2006!

:D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 17 2010, 04:35

Of the three mixes listed, I went for 2010. While I find it a bit *too* bright in places I find the enhanced bass and other bits and bobs really bring the music to life for me. Still not as good as the lost demo mind you ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 18 2010, 19:25

The original. The 2010 mix isn't so very different (unlike TB or HR). Are we getting Incantations next?

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
sparrow Offline

Posted: June 18 2010, 20:00

Had a really good listen to the 2010 OM mix and it is a wonderful and subtle listen.  Not too different from the original but I would say better.  

ps..I sincerly hope for Incantations deluxe ed.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 19 2010, 20:56

The original - first and always best!

Probably just 'cos it's what introduced me to Mike's work and I've played it a million times (which is nearly not an exaggeration).

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 20 2010, 03:20

1975 mix means PERFECTION to me.

And I won't comment on the live version from Night of the Proms 2006... :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 22 2010, 05:48

The 1975 mix is just wonderful! But I voted the 1976 Boxed mix, because I love the extra vocals at the end of Part 2 Mike mixed in.

I'm kinda dissapointed what Mike did with the Ommadawn 2010 mix. It's missing the original soul.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: July 23 2010, 14:46

I voted the 1975 original Mix but... where I can hear the 1976 boxed version???
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 23 2010, 17:11

Quote (knife edge @ July 23 2010, 14:46)
I voted the 1975 original Mix but... where I can hear the 1976 boxed version???

On Boxed, would you believe?   :D

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 23 2010, 21:31

Err, I believe he ment besides  buying the original. But you may be sarcastic. Can never really tell on internet...

Well I dunno, youtube is extremely lacking in the 'good music' department, so your best bet is as Jules said, on Boxed. :p

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 24 2010, 01:34

1975 original fer sure. I finally listened to the 2010 remix  today. It does not seem like an improvement. It just sounds "wrong" to me. At 12:00 on side one as the last acoustic guitar note decays and the first flute note begins, there is a "PFFFFT" noise I cant hear on any other version but 2010. There are strange(I can't verbalize it) ways that reverb FX in the mix seem "wrong" is the only way to say it. Like somebody who uses a reverb device for the first time and is tweeking the input/output levels or wet/dry mix knob while the music is being recorded.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: July 24 2010, 05:13

Quote (Incantations @ July 23 2010, 21:31)
Err, I believe he ment besides  buying the original. But you may be sarcastic. Can never really tell on internet...

Well I dunno, youtube is extremely lacking in the 'good music' department, so your best bet is as Jules said, on Boxed. :p

Yes, it's true I can't say it on internet... despite for the fact that the boxed set is unavailable... :p :D
Well, I can live without it
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 24 2010, 18:41

Quote (knife edge @ July 24 2010, 11:13)
...despite for the fact that the boxed set is unavailable... :p :D

No it's not!! :D Look here... ;)

On topic: 2010 for me. The others are excellent, but the sparkling clarity of the 2010 mix is unbeatable.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 04:39

Quote (Ugo @ July 24 2010, 18:41)

On topic: 2010 for me. The others are excellent, but the sparkling clarity of the 2010 mix is unbeatable.

Back on topic also for me...

I can't stand the clarity of the 2010 version :D . The original is musical, all the sounds are mixed and amalgamate (does this word exist in english? :p ) in an excellent way, there is attention to the ensamble, while in the 2010 mix there are continuous spots on the single instruments, as if Mike tries to tell us "oohh, hear how well I remixed there, ooohh, hear now how the guitar sounds clear...". Ok, now I'm deliberately exagerating, but, as there were no need to remix the almost perfect mix of Ommadawn, it seems to me that Mike set out this remix with the intention to do it just "different", and not musically better.
IMHO the new mix is also compressed (= too much presence and too little soundstage), and some parts are overly equalized (the choir at the beginning for example, that in the 2010 version is so equalized that sounds artificial).

I keep my early CDV 2043 copy with care :), together with the CDV 2013 (HR in boxed mix).
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 11:54

Quote (Incantations @ July 23 2010, 21:31)

Sarcastic?!?!  Me?!?!  Never!!

;)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 27 2010, 06:55

I really adore the new 2010 mixing I must say. The way all the tiny flutes, acoustic guitars, organ, keyboard sounds and a bunch of finer details in the music are brought forward at some cost of the massive wall of distorted guitar sound. But I personally think it was all worth it for the better. The voices, bass and drums sounds very clear and crisp, sometimes allmost a bit too clean. It's an exceptional work and not until now have I really discovered how huge Ommadawn actually is. The 5.1 mix is very entertaining eventhough not every too often do I find myself sitting exactly placed in the "surround bubble", but it works and it's fun. I think I really needed this one badly so thank you Mike for letting me truly explore this album again and congrats to yet another marvelous studio work.
Still though I have too cut the volume to that darn bag pipe.  :D

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
rimbaud65 Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2010, 18:00

It was news to me that such a thing existed. The only thing is that Ommadawn is a brilliant album, and don't care what you say.
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 12 2010, 03:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net