B. Blues 0  [0.00%]
Four winds 10  [13.33%]
Enigmatism 8  [10.67%]
Out of mind 18  [24.00%]
From the ashes 1  [1.33%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best 'Guitars' track?, This album deserves more recognition :)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 01 2008, 05:47

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 18 2008, 04:26)
...and the East section cos i'm a sucker for indian sounds.

Maybe I am too, because I really like it when MO goes 'Indian' (that's India-Indian not Native-American. I have nothing against the latter, but I'm not into that style of music), such as in Amarok (the brief sitar-sounding section), "Four Winds", and "Jewel In The Crown".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 09:16

It's been an age since I last dusted this CD off the shelf. Have played it a couple of times today, but still haven't voted yet - there's such a good choice of tracks to choose from. And even one or two of the lesser tracks will probably grow on me if  I give them enough time.

At the moment it's "Cochise", but I know that will probably change in the next few weeks.

Definitely a great album, and very much under-rated.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 30 2010, 10:58

Saw this thread resurface, realised I haven't voted yet and dusted off the CD (well, the CD was ok but the CD case was pretty dusty! ).

Mostly a reminder of why I don't listen to it often, not my favourite of Mikes works. And then I got to Enigmatism! Aaaah, finally a track that, as soon as it started, made me remember that for me all Mikes CD's have at least *one* gem on them. Love Enigmatism :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 11:37

Took me some time to choose between Embers and Four Winds.

Finally, Embers win, for the great world she create.

But the third section of Four Winds is the best part from the album.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 13 2010, 21:27

'Summit Day'. It is sublime, peaceful... maybe even atypical in terms of what Mike's music was at that time... but definately my favourite.

After it, and after all these years, the most memorable have turned out to be 'Muse', 'Cochise' and 'From the Ashes'.

Maybe 'B.Blues' is the most forgettable, still curious as a song.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
jacen Offline

Posted: May 13 2011, 10:48

Unfortunately Guitars is an album oft overlooked in my catalogue. Because of its' tone and content, I'm only sometimes happy to have this playing as background music. These days, I am struggling to find an element that I truly come back to the album for specifically.

It's a real shame, but at least most albums have stayed with me with something special attached to them. Out of all, Summit Day still brings a good feeling. That's something positive to hold on to.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 07 2011, 20:15

Quote (hergest fridge @ Jan. 25 2006, 21:33)
Muse,for me it,s the best track on the album. :cool:

I gree.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 07 2011, 20:15

Althoug I voted 'Summit Day'.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 07 2011, 20:33

h.

--------------
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 11 2012, 13:08

I chose Muse. Although I love how he managed the drums in 'Out of Mind' and 'Cochise' reminds me of TBIII.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 18 2012, 18:32

@ JIStar: I think the drums are loops which derive from hand-played samples - noises performed on guitars. :) Tapping and slapping and pulling the strings, also swishing over them with a ring or something. Then he filtered/processed the sounds and made loops of them. I don't think there's any drum programming at all, and I also don't think that the drums were generated from a sampler which included pre-set sounds. All the drum noises on the album sound to me like they were generated from guitars, both electric and acoustic.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2018, 21:12

For some reason I missed out on this poll earlier... But my favourites are "Summit Day" and "Out of Mind". So for once I am aligned with popular opinion!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2018, 05:50

I just found out I also missed out in this poll. I voted for Summit Day.
Profile PM 
ShakC Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2022, 10:03

Quote (New Incantation @ Mar. 30 2010, 09:16)
It's been an age since I last dusted this CD off the shelf. Have played it a couple of times today, but still haven't voted yet - there's such a good choice of tracks to choose from. And even one or two of the lesser tracks will probably grow on me if  I give them enough time.

At the moment it's "Cochise", but I know that will probably change in the next few weeks.

Definitely a great album, and very much under-rated.

Agreed. I like it a lot, and it's my favourite of the Warner Bros. era.
Profile PM 
53 replies since Jan. 13 2006, 17:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net