Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC4 to Broadcast Performance of Tubular Bells, 1974 Live Studio Performance< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Airborne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 17:00

The Second House programme was first broadcast on the BBC on December 1, 1973. Even though it included a similar line up, it is entirely separate from the Queen Elizabeth Hall performance on June 25, 1973.

I do know, from someone who was present at the Second House recording, that what you see is the third run through after performance and camera angles were fine tuned. The first two runs were not commited to videotape. Only the first side of Tubular Bells was performed on this occasion.

The Second House programme was repeated a few times in the 1970s, hence the confusion over the date. The Elements notes are wrong.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2009, 08:49

I laughed when i saw this on my copy.It would have involved him donning a wig cos in 76 he had much longer hair and was sporting the Jesus look when this was in fact filmed in 74 (or 73 depending on your source).It would indeed be great to see the QE Hall gig.I've seen stills of the performance and of the rehearsals but i would love to actually see the gig itself.
Still the one due to be broadcast tonight is nice enough so i look forward to it.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2009, 18:26

It was the Second House performance, as seen in the Elements DVD. Unlike the DVD, the orignal end credits are seen - unfortunately none of the guest musicians are named.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 01:45

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Jan. 06 2009, 18:26)
It was the Second House performance, as seen in the Elements DVD. Unlike the DVD, the orignal end credits are seen - unfortunately none of the guest musicians are named.

The guest musicians were:

John Field - flute
Fred Frith - bass, guitar
John Greaves - keyboards
Steve Hillage - guitar
Tim Hodgkinson - keyboards
Karl Jenkins - oboe
Geoff Leigh - flute
Pierre Moerlen - percussion
Mike Oldfield - bass, guitar
Terry Oldfield - flute
Mike Ratledge - keyboards
Mick Taylor - guitar
Ted Speight - guitar, bass
Tom Newman - voice
+ Choir

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 09:14

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 07 2009, 07:45)
Tom Newman - voice
+ Choir

The choir is pre-recorded. Also, where does Tom Newman appear? The voice who announces the instruments is of course Viv Stanshall, and he's also pre-recorded [I guess it's taken from the album master :)].

On a side note, Jenkins and Ratledge produced the first Adiemus album. Ratledge played (programmed) percussion on that.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 12:23

You can see the choir on the programme at the end after the tubular bells do their bit and before Mike plays the acoustic guitar coda.They are off the main stage but can clearly be seen.The sound is vey different to the record.They are live.Tom Newman appears sitting by the mixing desk doing the 'nasal chorus' section.He is mixing the sound and then picks up a mic to do the hummning bit (the section on the record with the jangly piano).Viv's voice is pre recorded though as you said.

--------------
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 12:30

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 07 2009, 06:45)

John Field - flute
John Greaves - keyboards
Steve Hillage - guitar
Karl Jenkins - oboe
Geoff Leigh - flute
Terry Oldfield - flute
Mick Taylor - guitar
Tom Newman - voice
+ Choir

Thanks for that info - where did you get it from?   :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 12:49

@ Caveman, thanks very much for the info. I actually didn't remember the choir being there (have you got any info on who they were, BTW?) and I thought that the "nasal chorus" was someone on stage - I didn't notice Tom picking up the mic. :) I guess Viv's interventions were pre-recorded because 1) they weren't synchronized with the music, so his announcements could be triggered independently from the playing; 2) he would've probably been too drunk to do his part live - I remember Mike saying it took quite a big effort to get him to say the words at the right moments during the actual recording. :D

@ Pat: the musicians' credits are superimposed on the screen at the end of the performance, as it's featured on the Elements DVD. I guess that bit wasn't featured in the BBC4 showing.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 13:13

Was Mike on the show 1st? I missed the begging of the programme, tuned in when Family were performing!!! Watched the rest and no Mike, guess i missed him!!! ouch..

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 16:00

IT'S ON THE BBC IPLAYER FOR ANYONE WHO MISSED IT & HAS NOT GOT THE ELEMENTS DVD. HERE IS THE LINK http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer....ldfield

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 16:47

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 07 2009, 17:49)
@ Pat: the musicians' credits are superimposed on the screen at the end of the performance, as it's featured on the Elements DVD. I guess that bit wasn't featured in the BBC4 showing.

Thanks Ugo, I really should take more notice of these things  :D
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 17:04

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Jan. 07 2009, 12:30)
Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 07 2009, 06:45)

John Field - flute
John Greaves - keyboards
Steve Hillage - guitar
Karl Jenkins - oboe
Geoff Leigh - flute
Terry Oldfield - flute
Mick Taylor - guitar
Tom Newman - voice
+ Choir

Thanks for that info - where did you get it from?   :)

I got it from Hulloder.nl, the online soft machine (and related) discography.

Someone asked me where I heard that Mike didn't know about Jenkin's presence at the second house performance, and who said it. I really don't know! I've been looking through the promo films and I don't find anything at all, but I clearly remember it. It could be some magazine interview from around the time of MotS release.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 08:36

Hi Ugo.Unfotutatley i don't have any info on who the choir were.I think they must have been just hired in.I heard a funny story about this though.The performance was rehearsed a few time before the actual TV recording was made and one of the choir was heard to say "who is this Mike Oldfield person anyway?"!And i guess Viv would have been way too drunk to do it.Just listen to the drunken version of the Hornpipe.My vinyl copy from the Boxed said lists this as The Sailors Horngripe!
 According to Mike they did try to get Viv to do it on TBII but when they went to pick him up for the session he was sat in the bath with a potted plant on his head.Alan Rikman did an admirable job though.
:laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 09:06

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 08 2009, 14:36)
Alan Rickman did an admirable job though.

Yes, but he sounds way too serious on the actual record. The instrument announcements are supposed to be funny, aren't they? I think John Cleese on TB 2003 is funnier than him. :) After all, Rickman does have a kind-of reputation as a serious actor, and I don't think he ever played a light role, if not after TBII. Even the unknown (to me) John Gordon Sinclair, who did the narration on the live Edimburgh performance, did it better than him IMHO.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2009, 12:20

Very true.Howver aside Viv and John Cleese (mandolin!;) the funniest version would have to be Billy Conelly's reading of The Bell on the cd single of the same name.I'm a big fan of Billy's anyway so this was a good find.

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2009, 07:53

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Jan. 07 2009, 00:26)

Also, the beginning from this broadcast was a bit different compared to the Elements DVD. The Elements DVD starts a bit later in this show.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
35 replies since Jan. 01 2009, 23:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net