Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC4 Prog Rock Brittania< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 02:04

Mike Oldfield is one of the artists contributing to BBC Four Prog Rock Brittania on Jan 2 at 22:00, along with Robert Wyatt, Pete Sinfield, Rick Wakeman, Phil Collins, Arthur Brown, Carl Palmer and Ian Anderson. The documentary explores the life and decline of progressive music, the bands involved, and their musical style.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 03:18

Sounds interesting. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm just hoping some kind soul will upload the MO part on YouTube, so I can see it.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 05:30

Quote (Olivier @ Dec. 29 2008, 02:04)
Mike Oldfield is one of the artists contributing to BBC Four Prog Rock Brittania on Jan 2 at 22:00, along with Robert Wyatt, Pete Sinfield, Rick Wakeman, Phil Collins, Arthur Brown, Carl Palmer and Ian Anderson. The documentary explores the life and decline of progressive music, the bands involved, and their musical style.

The interesting thing about those bands is that they were rock groups embracing a classical influence. They may well have "died"; but it's interesting that the Kronos Quartet, a current "classical" band reaching out to a rock audience, goes from strength to strength. For anyone who doesn't know them, give their Pieces of Africa or Black Angels a listen.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 08:22

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 29 2008, 05:18)
I'm just hoping some kind soul will upload the MO part on YouTube, so I can see it.

+1

The whole documentary also...being also a prog rock fan myself,it's nice to watch stuff like that!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 10:05

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 29 2008, 03:18)
Sounds interesting. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm just hoping some kind soul will upload the MO part on YouTube, so I can see it.

Or some download site. I'm not a big fan of streaming.  :/
Too bad I don't have BBC4 on my UPC (satelite).
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2008, 10:29

I would pay full price for a DVD. Many interesting names there.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2008, 04:01

Sounds to me this is going to be a very interesting documentry. Something like 'All You Need is Love'. Fortunately, we've got digital TV over here, so we can watch BBC4 as well!

I see there are 4 parts... I wonder which part will feature Mike.

Happy new year everyone!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2009, 18:25

Cool, love Prog  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 01 2009, 21:05

A little teaser on BBC Four's webpage...pity I can't watch(only allowed for UK residents - they do reconize your IP)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Jan. 01 2009, 21:39

And...wanna watch on the telly TB live at Second House?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g8h9q

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 05:05

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 02 2009, 01:05)
A little teaser on BBC Four's webpage...pity I can't watch(only allowed for UK residents - they do reconize your IP)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/

Yep but UK residents pay the £139 a year to receive BBC channels, a legalised rip off if ever there was one. The only reason I pay for a tv licence is 'cos I don't want bully boy thugs knocking on my door.  The BBC is supposed to be impartial, but I don't think they are, aprt form the Top Gear presenters who say what they feel however politically incorrect it might be      :cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 07:17

...but these little teasers you can watch'em anywhere in the world:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/progbritannia/

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Jan. 02 2009, 07:05)
Yep but UK residents pay the £139 a year to receive BBC channels, a legalised rip off if ever there was one. The only reason I pay for a tv licence is 'cos I don't want bully boy thugs knocking on my door.  The BBC is supposed to be impartial, but I don't think they are, aprt form the Top Gear presenters who say what they feel however politically incorrect it might be      :cool:  :)  :D .

For me it's a big surprise! Here in Brazil,even on our public TV channel(like BBC also is),they don't charge you if you wanna watch their stuff on line!!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 07:26

My son reckons that UK TV Licence Holders should receive
BBC products at a discount-esp DVD's

I agree.

anyone?
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 07:30

moonchildhippy.Can I refer you to Frank Skinner live at the
NIA DVD iro your Mr.Taylor quote...

(I note your profile COA to Moi nek of tha Arden Wuds-Wowickshear/Brummagem)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 11:13

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 02 2009, 11:17)
...but these little teasers you can watch'em anywhere in the world:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/progbritannia/

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Jan. 02 2009, 07:05)

For me it's a big surprise! Here in Brazil,even on our public TV channel(like BBC also is),they don't charge you if you wanna watch their stuff on line!!

If I did do away with my tv I could still get BBC progs online and watch for free.  I wouldnt mind paying the tv licence so much if it was £50 or less a year, but to me it's another tax   :p .

ommadawn,ah!ooh!   Posted on Jan. 02 2009, 11:26My son reckons that UK TV Licence Holders should receive
BBC products at a discount-esp DVD's

I agree.

anyone?

Yep i agree, got quite a few Top Gear DVD's  :cool: , plus BBC Sessions recordings.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 19:27

Usual Format...  Few Interviews Few Clips,  all the usual suspects.. Wakeman, Howe, Anderson, Rutherford...  was ok .. mike was on for a few nano seconds  .. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 21:09

Quote (3Wheeler @ Jan. 02 2009, 21:27)
Usual Format...  Few Interviews Few Clips,  all the usual suspects.. Wakeman, Howe, Anderson, Rutherford...  was ok .. mike was on for a few nano seconds  .. :cool:

Nanoseconds?
Bah!

Was it an old footage of Mikey boy?
Pity if it was!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 02:59

And what about Floyd ??????? Nothing about any of their albums. Shame on the BBC. Too much on Yes for my liking.
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 09:05

I watched it and thought it was very good.Too much Yes i agree but the interviews with Mike didn't really say anything we didn't already know though.TB was featured for a wee while.The usual mistakes about him playing ALL the instruments (Jon Field,Sally,Viv Stanshall,Mundy Ellis and Lyndsay Cooper were all on there and played prominent parts but weren't noted at all)and i found it a little odd that it was described as a 'scientific experiment'.I thought it was a bloody good peice of music by a very very confused young man :laugh:

And what about Floyd indeed.Briefly mentioned but nothing about any actual albums.DSOTM not prog enough?I beg to differ.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 16:12

I enjoyed it, was puzzled too that there was no Pink Floyd, wish I could turn back time though ... anything seemed possible then.  & Long haired men!

But my teenage boys fell about laughing I have to say, they found the whole programme hilarious..I despair of them sometimes :) I thought my subliminal messages were getting throught to them but it seems not! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
80 replies since Dec. 29 2008, 02:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net