Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC4 Prog Rock Brittania< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 21:47

A friend of mine who got the docummentary sent me some screenshots of Mikey boy,now version 5.5:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 04:49

But I'm still confused: the other three parts which are being transmitted on January 3rd, 6th and 7th: are these other parts of the documentry or are they the same?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 05:34

But my teenage boys fell about laughing I have to say, they found the whole programme hilarious..I despair of them sometimes

Teenagers can't handle real musicians thats why. They are bought up on a diet of pseudo music by wet reality talent show winners who are only concerned with fame and start crying at the slightest mishap like a hair coming out of place or chipping a nail.
Profile PM WEB 
Viper Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 05:57

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 03 2009, 21:47)
A friend of mine who got the documentary sent me some screenshots of Mikey boy,now version 5.5:

Mike in HIS new studio????

--------------
http://www.josemanuelguerra.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 06:11

Quote (Viper @ Jan. 04 2009, 07:57)
Mike in HIS new studio????

I hope so...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 08:08

Is it moi, or does Mikey Boy look like a cast member from Corrie or 'Enders?
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 08:43

Mike's appearence - You Tube boosted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI5QObvthqk

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 09:19

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 29 2008, 05:30)
The interesting thing about those bands is that they were rock groups embracing a classical influence. They may well have "died"; but it's interesting that the Kronos Quartet, a current "classical" band reaching out to a rock audience, goes from strength to strength. For anyone who doesn't know them, give their Pieces of Africa or Black Angels a listen.

Here, here

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 09:24

Quote (bee @ Jan. 03 2009, 16:12)
But my teenage boys fell about laughing I have to say, they found the whole programme hilarious..I despair of them sometimes :) I thought my subliminal messages were getting throught to them but it seems not! :)

I love bit of prog AND I found parts of it hilarious too. I mean if we didn't have this lot we'd never of had the genius of Spinal Tap!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 15:52

At one point watching this show, I thought it was a secret competition - who had grown the biggest beer belly or who had the silliest facial hair?  :D

But it was good to see Mike being interviewed. This is the man who for most of his life only endures the TV camera's when his PR people insist for promoting new albums. So he seemed quite "chilled" on this show. And, Jose, I do think that's his studio.

But what is prog? And is Mike really prog? Yes there were the similarities to traditional classical music structures, a lot of notes and complicated time patterns. And he had that obsession with perfecting every note, studying the technicalities, using the latest technology. He even had the long hair and Jesus beard at one point. And, admittedly he did the whole "run to the country to get it together" thing.

But "prog rock"? Surely he had too many good tunes to be called that!  :cool:

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 17:42

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 04 2009, 17:52)
But what is prog? And is Mike really prog?

At least it's not new age  :laugh:

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2009, 18:13

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 04 2009, 19:52)
But what is prog? And is Mike really prog? Yes there were the similarities to traditional classical music structures, a lot of notes and complicated time patterns. And he had that obsession with perfecting every note, studying the technicalities, using the latest technology. He even had the long hair and Jesus beard at one point. And, admittedly he did the whole "run to the country to get it together" thing.

But "prog rock"? Surely he had too many good tunes to be called that!  :cool:

Precisely!!! What exactly is Prog?? :/ .

I would say that much of Mike's early work could be regarded as being prog, I would also say that Amarok is purely exprimental Prog.

For me I would say that the first pure  Prog album would have to be King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King. ELP would have to be pure prog, but they also wrote some brilliant short tunes. Then again early Queen could be regarded as  Prog, but "The Prophets  Song" Queen's longest piece is just over eight mins in length, short compared to much Prog. "Doing Alright and also "Father To Son" to name two songs that spring to mind have changing time sigs/ styles often featured in Prog, as do many songs feature operaatic style vocals, so they have the influence of classical music. Much of Freddie Mercury's lyrics were inspired by reading Tolkien, "My Fairy King" "March Of The Black Queen" and "Seven Seas Of Rhye" given that Rhy could have been Freddie's Tolkien inspired land    
 :cool: .   I doubt with Queen if anyone else could have pulled off such a combination, to combine mainstream Rock with Prog and also Glam   :cool: , and for calling the band Queen, I guess it depends upon hhow you see the name Queen, as
"queen" was often used as a negative term for gay/effeminate men, or Queen also sounds very grand/regal, and of course there were accusations that Prog became so overblown and pretentious, but Queen could put on a stage show.

Speaking of Prog I did mention my neighbour as was Bob, he had MS and died age 44, anyway he lent myself and my then husband a box of LP's featuring the likes of "Caravan" and also Kevin Ayers (and the Whole World), I didn't put 2 and 2 together at the time and realise Mike Oldfield was the same Mike Oldfield who we discuss his music on here.  I know Bob introduced me to some of the "Canterbury Scene" bands.
I've been playing some Caravan on You Tube.  I know i did tape the Caravan Lp's off of Bob, and my ex has the casettes, (before the days of the internet, and knowing about the back catalogue of Caravan). I'll have to build up my collection of Caravan, when I've more cash to spare         :cool: .

http://www.caravan-info.co.uk/news/

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 04:19

I think Bruford summed the Prog thing up in the prog.Prog
is all about "Well,this is how brilliantly I can play.Come
and have a go if you think you're accomplished enough."
(paraphrased of course).Mike's reasonably unique circumstance way-back was he was upping the above ante
with himself.That is why the triumvirate Branson-Newman-
Heyworth was so ahem, instrumental  in TB1 reaching
The Whole World...The terrible trio were the opposite-learning
on-the-fly.The anecdote about Ricardo naming it Virgin being
one I can definately countenance.Conversely,Mike in his field
(they just keep coming...) had been there,done that and
perforce had to  progress his playing/4-track fiddling/track bouncing.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 05:46

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 04 2009, 15:52)
But what is prog? And is Mike really prog?

I think, as may have been mentioned on the show, it is more an 'ideology' than a musical style.

In terms of Mike; if someone says Mike is prog then he's prog, if someonre says he isn't prog then he isn't. Mike is.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 05:52

Quote (ian @ Jan. 03 2009, 02:59)
And what about Floyd ??????? Nothing about any of their albums. Shame on the BBC. Too much on Yes for my liking.

I wondered this also, especially as the Floyd's tunes kept appearing in the background. It occured to me though that there have already been a multitude of documentaries devoted to them so the BBC wouldn't really be doing us a service in telling us about them in this documentary. Infact, there is a Floyd documentary on the BBC4 website at the moment. There is also the possibilty that Pink Floyd didn't want to be involved, maybe they didn't want the 'prog' tag.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 08:07

Progressive rock is one hell of an imprecise, but at the same time restrictive label. It's sort of like IDM, you know? "Intelligent Dance Music"? Except "Progressive rock" is a far less stupid name. But how can you define it? Personally, I think it's not defined by the sound, the compositional method, song length of anything. Progressive rock is essentially made to intellectually impress. It's not meant to resonate, excite or thrill, but to impress - and in a cerebral, purely mental way. That's why I'm so adamant in saying Pink Floyd is not progressive rock: Pink Floyd was exactly about resonance. They made music to reach into people, not to awe them. They were excellent musicians, but were never too technical. Same thing with the Moody Blues, and same thing with Mike Oldfield himself.

Now ELP is the extreme opposite: their music were EXACTLY, though not exclusively, about that. Genesis and Yes were in a minor scale, because they chose the path of pomposity and grandiosity instead of pure technique. King Crimson are extremely technical, but also with an emotional purpose. All in all, it's a bit subjective, I think. And Queen is quite far from progressive rock - in fact they never wanted to approach it. I remember reading that Brian May had the wish to make a conceptual album, a rock opera of sorts, but the other band members quickly shunned the idea for being too pretentious. Some people could make it work; Queen probably could too, but they were awesome either way. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 09:08

@ Sir M.: if I understand you correctly, you are saying that prog rock is music that is complex just for the sake of being complex. Well, then, couldn't Iron Maiden fit into a label that's often been given them, i.e. "Progressive Metal" ? :D Many of their longer songs feature lots and lots of purely technical passages (twin guitar harmonizations, virtuoso bass passages, etc.), multiple changes in speed and time signatures, a generally composite, multi-part structure. If all this defines prog rock, then Mike Oldfield is prog. If, on the other hand, prog rock is defined by nothing else than its complexity and its techicality, I'd say that the first three or four M.O. albums, including Incantations (and some of Exposed) are prog. Everything else, starting from Platinum, just isn't. :D
The Peter Gabriel-led Genesis are often labeled as prog, but I guess that's because of Tony Banks' virtuosistic passages (most of which are so very cerebrally complex... "Firth of Fifth" is the most obvious example...) and because of the layering of multiple guitar parts (often all 12-string). Many Genesis fans say they became pop after "Mama", and especially after the Invisible Touch album. Yet that album has "Domino", which is a very intricate, complex song, and of course Tony Banks is still in Genesis, so in my mind they never stopped being prog. Maybe now it's a pop-drenched kind of prog, but, as the Rolling Stones sang, I like it. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2009, 03:56

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Jan. 05 2009, 08:07)
It's sort of like IDM, you know? "Intelligent Dance Music"?

Intelligent 'Digital' Music  :)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2009, 04:00

I think you could argue about who's prog and not prog till the cows come home. All musical labels are subjective. I mean; is Oldfield 'punk' because he did punkadiddle!? Mike Oldfield is Mike Oldfield and even that's debateable since a name represents someone as opposed to 'being' them but I think you know what I mean :laugh:

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2009, 06:44

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Jan. 04 2009, 09:49)
But I'm still confused: the other three parts which are being transmitted on January 3rd, 6th and 7th: are these other parts of the documentry or are they the same?

The documentary was in three parts, 30 minutes approx. devoted to each part.

So just one programme. Apart from Mike's input, the only really interesting part was the old existing b/w skiing film footage used to promote 'Tubular Bells' that the BBC and Virgin edited.

Since Mike wasn't available for any promo, this film acted as the promo for TB in programmes such as 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'.
Profile PM 
80 replies since Dec. 29 2008, 02:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net