Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC4 Prog Rock Brittania< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 03:52

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 15 2009, 07:45)
If we are debating whether Queen are or rather were prog then i'd have to agree with Moonchildhippy.The early stuff really did have some prog moments.Most of at least the first side of Queen 2 (my favourite Queen album)is very prog.Father to Son is what i'd call prog.And come to think of it side 2 as well.Ogre Battle is classic stuff and yet never mentioned.Then later on The Prophets song has all the hallmarks of prog.
 It's a very broad spectrum.And very hard to pinpoint what prog actually is as a genre.Jazz,Metal,folk and say blues all have very definate identities.The point of prog was to take as many different styles as possible and throw them togather with a healthy dose of vituosity and ambition and see what comes up.It did start to over reach itself abd become displays of just how good the players were but for a time it was really good.One thing that bugged me was that bands like Gong weren't really mentioned.If that's not prog i don't know what is!

Yes I do have to agree not much mention was made of Gong , but I think many of the "Canterbury Sound" bands were mentioned.  I've nnot really heard much by Gong. I know a former neighbour Bob, he died aged 44 , he had MS, (I don't think MS is was his killer in itself, but lead to other complications) , he lent me a box full of albums Gong, Kevin Ayers, Caravan.   I think Gong might take a bit more listening to, but I was converted with KA and Caravan       :)  :D .

I would have to agree with Queen II being one of the greatest albums of all time, it's Brian May's favourite Queen album. A Night At The Opera is often regarded as The Queen Album, but many fans often list Queen II or A Day At The Races as their favourite.
With musical style Queen weren't afraid to experiment , and to mix musical styles,  I can't define Queen into narrow categories, but Queen certainally had elements of Prog.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 04:47

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 04 2009, 12:11)
Quote (Viper @ Jan. 04 2009, 07:57)
Mike in HIS new studio????

I hope so...

I have my doubts if this is his new studio... it could be, if Mike is suffering from the financial crisis too. ;)

The digital mixer on the background is a reasonable old Digidesign Pro Tools mixer (I work with this stuff). You can see Pro Tools running on the background. And Mike is known for using Logic Pro, with the latest digital mixer on the market.

So, I think this studio belongs to someone else... more like from the BBC, where they invided Mike for the interview.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 08:16

@Moonchildhippy.The 3 albums in the Flying Teapot trilogy (Flying Teapot,Angels Egg and You)are really the essential 3 Gong albumsfrom the first period with Steve Hillage and Tim Blake.They do take a few listens to get into but are well worth if it.In a similar vein Steve Hillage's Fish Rising is a bloody good album too,and it's virtually Gong anyway as all the players are Gong members with the exception of Lindsey Cooper who played bassoon.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 08:45

Hillage's "L" on the Prog radar. Esp with Todd Rundgren's Utopia all over it...
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 08:54

Very true.My third fave Hillage cd after Fish Rising and Live Herald.

--------------
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 08:39

Quote (ommadawn,ah!ooh! @ Jan. 16 2009, 08:45)
Hillage's "L" on the Prog radar. Esp with Todd Rundgren's Utopia all over it...

I'm glad we've come round to Hillage. I would have to add 'Green' to essential listening, infact there is a mention of 'Music of the Spheres' somewhere on that album.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 08:50

Again i agree.I will have to go and listen to Green and find that though.Do you know which track it's on?
 I love Steve Hillage's earlier stuff.Went a bit pear shaped from Open though IMO.Fish Rising is a my favourite album and was my first exposure to him.Then i got, i think, Green or maybe it was L.But for pure prog brilliance the live version of Lunar Music Suite ("complete with new introduction")is a must.The unaccompanied solo at the end is a masterclass of using delay.In a similar vein to Brian May use of the echoplex on the live versions of Brighton Rock.

Welcome to the Rainbow....the spirit is here ladies and gentleman,the spirit is here. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 11:05

The rising guitar solo on All Too Much on L is one of very,very
few pieces of music that send a shiver updown my spine-Bill Nelson's on Crying To The Sky being another.(Any votes for
Modern Music being on ye Prog Radar?) Mention too for the
"Warm synthi sounds" of Malcolm Cecil's Tonto beast all over
Hillage's Motivation Radio-another one on the SH canon.Saw
him live in the mid-late Seventies on L and MR tours.The latter
saw the whole electrics fail in Birmingham Odeon-rather than
troop off backstage,Steve called everyone down to the front
rows and played acoustically until the sparks were fixed.What
a real trrooper!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 11:10

Wow.What a gig!I'd have loved to have seen him back then.Alas i was born too late. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 07:22

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 16 2009, 12:16)
@Moonchildhippy.The 3 albums in the Flying Teapot trilogy (Flying Teapot,Angels Egg and You)are really the essential 3 Gong albumsfrom the first period with Steve Hillage and Tim Blake.They do take a few listens to get into but are well worth if it.In a similar vein Steve Hillage's Fish Rising is a bloody good album too,and it's virtually Gong anyway as all the players are Gong members with the exception of Lindsey Cooper who played bassoon.

I've tried listening to Gong on you tube "Pot Head Pixies" etc, but I just find it that too way out, maybe you've gotta be stoned to listen to it :p   :laugh: .

I think from experince in my younger days, when i did experiment a bit with weed LSD or mushrooms, I often found it too much, and it would freak me out, either I might find it scary or   go into a panic attack.  Saying that my then husband would often go ott with the psychedelics, I think he was often permanently stoned, (and still is).
I've seen people do too many drugs and end up with psychosis as a result, and my unpleasant experiences put me off, so i choose not to imbibe psychedelics these days.  That said I know cannabis in moderation can stop the shakes associated with MS, Parkinsons etc.  I know one night I made a space cake with a friends home grown, and my then husband, being my husband had a big slice and i wasn't woken up once. He suffers MS and towards the and of the marriage I could be getting up up to eight times a night. I know Queen Victoria used to smmoke cannabis for relief of period pains, one day I know my ex had got some of this cannabis spray on a private prescription. I was working down the old folks home , and I had hurt my arm moving a resident, so he used me as a guinea pig for this spray, a few sprays of it on my tounge, the pain in my arm had ggone from being agony to  slightly painful.

Oh sorry seem to have gone off topic a bit there, now I'll have to try listening to Gong again.

Speaking of trips, I think the lyrics to this song by the Rolling Stones, sums up what could be the lonliness of the trip
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LbYy-SJhZso

That's made me think, could the Stones be prog, well yes I think there's elements of prog in some of their work. I do think that "Their Satanic Majesties Request" album could be  semi prog, as it features use of different time signatures, "Sing This All Together (see what happens)" . It also features heavy use of a mellotron as played by the Late Great Brian Jones.  I know my Dad did say that Brian could play no less than 19 different instruments, yes one of the greatest talented musicians ever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Jones

http://www.brianjonesfanclub.com/

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 08:37

I may,or may not,be partial to a little bit of the herb.I don't touch anything else these days.I don't even drink alcohol at all now.I can see your point though as Gong are very trippy.I guess they are a sort of second wave psychedelic band which seemed to be around in the early/mid 70's.
I had heard about Queen Victoria.The idea still makes me giggle.All the pictures of her make her look really severe but the idea of her stoned and ravenously hungry with the munchies just cracks me up.I've been to Osborne House on the Isle Of Wight were she spent most of her later life, and the nearest all night shop is miles away! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2009, 06:51

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 22 2009, 08:50)
Again i agree.I will have to go and listen to Green and find that though.Do you know which track it's on?

Can't remember the track title right now but I'm sure it's in the first couple of songs.

Gotta say about a couple of the Gong comments, they were a bit too far out for me at first but one day it suddenly clicked and now they're one of my favourites. I think they can be a grower as often the best bands and albums can be:)
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 03:57

A Green-grower, hoh? Is that where you buy Flute and Veg?  :p
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 07:39

Quote (The Caveman @ Jan. 23 2009, 12:37)
I may,or may not,be partial to a little bit of the herb.I don't touch anything else these days.I don't even drink alcohol at all now.I can see your point though as Gong are very trippy.I guess they are a sort of second wave psychedelic band which seemed to be around in the early/mid 70's.
I had heard about Queen Victoria.The idea still makes me giggle.All the pictures of her make her look really severe but the idea of her stoned and ravenously hungry with the munchies just cracks me up.I've been to Osborne House on the Isle Of Wight were she spent most of her later life, and the nearest all night shop is miles away! :laugh:

I think all photos of Victorians look serious and severe, I've never seen a pic of a smiling happy Victorian person. On one hand I see images of poverty, amongst the poorest people, but I think this was the age of some of the greatest engineering achievements that put the Great into Britain  :D , but shame we've got a government intent on destroying everything great about Britain.
I could go into a political rant here, but I'm not going to.

I wonder how Queen Victoria managed if she ever had the case of the munchies, as there were no 7-11's in her day.

I know a few people who have suffered psychosis as a result of taking too many psychedelic drugs.
Yes I can see positive effects of cannabis used for medicinal purposes, if used in moderation, but the stuff from dealers often has impurities, I support being allowed to grow sufficient plants for personal use for medical reasons.   I think production needs to be taken out of the hands of drug dealers, as they also trade in human misery, the higher up the supply chain you go.
 I know my thn husband would go OTT with the amount of psychedelics he would imbibe, no wonder I would get freaked out if I had too much.  When you've got a husband who due to disability can't do anything for himself,  he would often ask me to fetch him this or that,I found that I would just want to sit and chill when i did get stoned.
My boyfriend is glad I stopped smoking weed as he's seen the effects of psychosis in his work, so due to some of my expriences I haven't  touched  psychedelics for over 2 years,

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 09:09

I quit chemicals cos i had had nothing but what i though at the time to be a good time.No  bad experiences really.Then i started thinking that i was beginning to push my luck a bit so i quit.4 years ago last week in fact.The chances of me having a bad trip would be worse now if i were to do it again cos my mental health is on a day to day basis shakey at best.That's not to say that i'm a candidate for a secure institution it's just that i know myself very well and i know that if i ingested something hallucinigenic that chances of all my hangups coming to the surface at biting me in the arse would be fairly high and plunge me back into depression which i am beginning to dig myself out of.
 I know there is proof that weed can cause mental illness and i probably shouldn't but a a teetotaler i figure man's got to have some fun and i don't really smoke massive amounts as i've cut down on that too.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 12:06

Yep indeed, I man or woman has to have some fun, and for me the fun is a very occaisional pint or two of ale,  I may have had the odd joint  very occaisionally for medicinal reasons, if I've got  a little weed from my ex.

I don't know if cannabis relieves or causes depression, again it's down to purity, and also quantity. I do believe the best medicine of all is LOVE.  Since I've been with my wonderful fella I rarely drink, and I've cut out using psychedelic drugs.

I think that's why having a mental health problem is still often regarded as being taboo, by some people, as they probably think that people with mental health probs are "violent" or "nutjobs" , and belong in a secure unit.  
Meantal ill health affects 1 in 4 people at any one time, I know I suffer  stress , anxiety/panic attacks, depression. My counsellor (just finished counselling sessions) believes I could have PTSD. Yes I've had events in my youth and adulthood that could contribute to this, abuse/rape, domestic violence, being a full time carer to my then husband, and after i stopped providing 24-7/365 care I had brief spells of unemployment, and ended up  
doing care work in an old folks home , and briefly for a home care agency, but nither of these worked out, so back to bein unemployed again , and jobhunting in itself is f/t work. So I got stressed out, didn't meet criteria to get help from jobcentre, so my boyfriend advised me to go to doctor and get signed off sick. It was at this time I had stomach/pelvic area pain, gynae in origin. A laparoscopy showed nothing was wrong, but I still get pain everyday. I'm back to see consultant gynae next week to have a mirena coil fitted, after much putting it off, it's worth giving it a try, despite all the horror stories. Given my  history anxiety , he's giving me a general anaeshetic , and i've my wonderful boyfriend coming down to hold my hand and look after me afterwards.
I recently got involved with the Royal British Legion, as I've read about troops coming home with appaling injuries in Iraq and Afghanistan, both physical and mental.  My Great Grandad suffered "shell shock"  now knnown as combat PTSD after service   in WW1, and my Grandads suffered PTSD as a result of action in WW2.  My boyfriend suffers as a result of Army service, and so does a cyberfriend I met on a mental health forum, he served with my boyfriend at the same time, same location, and was inn the same Regiment, small world innit??   :O .

It was because of this and also the way this treacherous government treats ex servicemen and women, (so many of them injured, or homeless, or living in sub standard accomodation, yet immigrants getting priority for housing and denied the care they need, being  verbally abused whilst a patient in an NHS hospital etc), that I've recently joined/become involved with The Royal British Legion, it will give me something to do as it does sometimes get boring sitting around here , and it's a cause I feel passionately about.  I'll be going on their training course in May to become a vounteer  "Welfare Worker", helping prepare cases, and also as a home and hospital visitor, and I'll also rattle a collection tin for the Poppy Appeal.  I don't feel able to take on paid employment as yet, it seems the options are to stay on benefits, but I think to be financially viable , I'd need to work full time, as I'd be penalised for p/t work.

I know The Legion will be short of Poppy Appeal collectors this year, as most members are now elderly WW2 vets, I know The Legion appreciate younger people getting involved.  

I believe that the Blair/Brown government has blood on their hands , GET OUR BOYS AND GIRLS OUT OF IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN NOW!!!!  

How did this thread end up going from prog rock to drugs, onto servicemen and women :/ .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 12:20

Prog rock to drugs is a fairly small step but from there to servicemen and women?God knows!
 But i agree entirely.I am opposed to war in general and they need to get our people out.We have no business there in the first place but our people are being killed.Get them home where they belong before we see more funerals on TV.It's becoming regular on the news.Anyway i'm starting to rant. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 13:33

I know how we got onto servicemen and women from prog rock. It was talking about Gong, and how I think you need to be stoned to really appreciate their music. From there we got onto drugs and  mental health issues, that's how I ended up going onto service people, as many of them end up with combat related PTSD.

Yes I agree I think war is best avoided if possible, and if used should ONLY be as a last resort.  The First World War was supposed to be the war to end all wars, but some politicians never learn. To quote Harry Patch , the last surviving "soldier to have fought in the trenches during WW1  "War isn't worth one life"

Pity that quote by Mr Patch falls/fell on  on deaf ears with Brown and Blair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Patch

Yes it's so sad to see young life taken by an illegal  war that  British Forces should NEVER have been involved in, meglomaniac Blair  of course had to get involved, to please his puppet master George W Bush. between them they've made the thrat of terrorist attacks worse. British forces would be better guarding entrances to the UK to prevent the risk of terrorist attack from outside. Saying that young British born muslims are recruitd bby the taliban, and train in Afghanistan, wouldn't it be better to detain suspected terrorists upon trying to re-enter the UK, rather than sending our brave boys and girls to their deaths abroad.

Yes I agree that funerals on the news are all to commonplace. it does move me to tears to see, as does the sounding of the "Last Post at the Cenotaph, on Rememberance Sunday. I do stick my fingers up at Brown or previously Blair when they lay their wreaths, and call(ed) them all the names under the sun, as to me they're lying hypocrites.

Sorry, rant over

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 13:51

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Jan. 30 2009, 13:33)
Yes it's so sad to see young life taken by an illegal  war that  British Forces should NEVER have been involved in, meglomaniac Blair of course had to get involved, to please his puppet master George W Bush.

Bush? Puppet Master? He couldn't pull the strings of a puppet to save his life. I only wish it was that simple. I fear Bush and Blair were both controlled by much, much darker puppeteers than we ever saw in the public eye. War makes no sense unless seen through the eyes of a global agenda to bring control to a very few people.

Anyway, Mike Oldfield anyone?
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2009, 15:08

The acknowledgment in this program was nice, but it leaves me wanting to see a thorough study of Mike's work. Perhaps one of these days there'll be a 'More Than Tubular' retrospective?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
80 replies since Dec. 29 2008, 02:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net