Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC Radio Wiltshire interview< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 15 2008, 11:13

BBC broadcast journalist Daniel Garrett has informed us that BBC Radio Wiltshire has posted a 9 minute audio interview of Mike about his early success with Tubular Bells and the pressure from Richard Branson, inspiration, Music of the Spheres, spirituality, working with other people and then alone putting parts together, and lastly about taking a few years of rest and perhaps retiring.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 15 2008, 13:41

Good interview. Uplifting (Mikes pondering being thought of as a national treasure), interesting (Bilbao experience, trying to follow a waving stick and forgetting to come in! ) and depressing (please don't retire!!! ) all in one.

And not a single "Why"?  :laugh:

p.s. Did the BBC really contact tb.net directly about this? Respect!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2008, 15:22

Oh yes, that was a treat, and Mark

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 15 2008, 15:29

...Mark Seaman is a good interviewer, really got Mike Chuckling there, don't you just love him.

Yes, interesting when he said he was busy listening to the orchestra (woodwind), almost forgetting it was his turn to play and not used to a man wiggling his stick at him.....

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 15 2008, 16:23

Mike was so relaxed on this interview and it was soo nice to hear!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: May 15 2008, 16:46

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 15 2008, 21:23)
Mike was so relaxed on this interview and it was soo nice to hear!

I agree, it was a lot different to some of the interviews on TV I've seen where he's seemed almost defensive.

Awesome stuff.
:)
Profile PM 
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 01:24

Great interview and i hope Mike enjoys sometime off but PLEASE don't retire yet  :O

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 13:33

That was interesting but not surprising, "I'll take a couple of years off, maybe retire......". I really tried not to join in any threads about "Oh Mike, come play in my city" deals......So many Tubularians here are young and its good that young people still discover MO and find it as exciting as I did when I was young. But I wouldn't build myself up for something that probably may never happen. I think people like Clapton and others, who have a fews years on MO, still tour because they are fueled by some other need, money perhaps but I think it's the "adoration factor" I spoke of once. I don't think MO really wants to be adored anymore, by an audience anyway, just listen to the wind chimes and kick back and raise his kid. I still want that "legacy" album. But I won't set myself up for dissapointment if it doesn't happen. I'm just gratefull for all the stuff he recorded and the spark he created for "one man bands". It's been a lot of fun over the years learning keyboards and guitar, how to use a mixer, effects, multitracks, then midi, on and on. I think I can honestly say at almost 47, I would not have put the effort(and money) that I did into music/gear/studio electronics, let alone the reading and learning....if it were not for MO. Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues would never have been enough to make me do that. They were groups of people working on an endeavor(with producers and engineers helping) instead of just one person alone using and discovering new studio tricks and pioneering new things. And I'm pretty much burned out on them all, never play their CD's deliberatly anymore. MO on the other hand, still holds my attention. In the car or in my studio. I keep listening to Incantations part 3 over and over and I don't know why. Well thats my Tubular moment for today. I can't count on one hand how may people I've known in the US, or Texas, who -owned- a MO album, let alone know who he is. Most of those 4-5 were at a university when MO was at his peak(1980-1984). It's nice to come to Tubular.net and share all this music. Good day,
                               Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 20 2008, 17:15

Well,Mike Oldfield(the musician we know) is on his hibernaculum and Michael Gordon Oldfield(the person) mode is on!

He did a short break in 2004 when Jake arrived,and now it's time to another one with Eugene.It's so important to him to enjoy this moment of fatherhood,it doesn't matter how much time it will take for him.

On Changeling,Mike said about his muse...it's not like in the past,but if it happens again for him "to be in the zone" like he said on the book,new music will come.

Let things happen naturally,I hate those forced things.Of course he's still young if you compare to other artists from his generation,but at least Mike isn't that golddigger type of artist that releases anything he composes,and the result is a complete disaster among his fanbase.

Of course I'd love to see him playing live once again,but he doesn't feel a musician like some other artists,okay,I respect.

Mike,take you time and relax.You deserve it so much.
Michael Gordon,enjoy being the person you are again  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Nige Offline

Posted: May 21 2008, 06:22

Can't be easy - working in the creative field which, of course, is reliant on having good ideas, visions etc. but then being at the beck and call of record companies, to which you are contracted and who are constantly breathing down your neck for new material.  And then, to cap it all, half of us aren't satisfied because it's too electronic, doesn't feature electric guitar, has processed vocals etc. etc.!!

I guess that in any job, there comes a point in time where going to work becomes an unbearable chore and, if that's where MO has got to, then it's probably for the best that he takes time to enjoy his private life.  Who knows, sometime in the future, he may be inspired to deliver another great work but, to be honest, I'm not holding my breath for something in the near future. It'll be a shame if we have heard the last of MO's new albums but, at least, we can console ourselves with a great and varied back catalogue, videos covering most of the memorable concert tours and sites like this one to share thoughts and memories.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 21 2008, 15:58

Yes - I agree - it would be a shame to go out on a bum note - so to speak.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 21 2008, 16:03

Quote (Scatterplot @ May 20 2008, 18:33)
......It's been a lot of fun over the years learning keyboards and guitar, how to use a mixer, effects, multitracks, then midi, on and on. I think I can honestly say at almost 47, I would not have put the effort(and money) that I did into music/gear/studio electronics, let alone the reading and learning....if it were not for MO. .......

He Jim - looks like we've had a similar hobbie over the past 35 years.....

Ray

PS - I may be in Houston in the next few weeks - if you are about we can meet in the Guitar Centre north of Woodlands and have an MO sparring competition on the $25000 Gibson TV Junior they have hangin up on the wall in a case!!!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 22 2008, 00:14

I agree with most of the others on tubularnet. Have a well deserved rest, writing the book and working on MOTs must have been tiring. creativity can't flow until one can have a mental break, and Mike you have more than earned that.
Cheers
(Have a pint for me).
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: May 25 2008, 11:45

Quote (Matt @ May 15 2008, 19:41)
p.s. Did the BBC really contact tb.net directly about this? Respect!

If that's the case soon they'll start quoting us in their articles.

...Oldfield has talked about retiring, but according to "Harmono", that is all "bullcrap".
BBC

I really have to start paying attention to what I write. :laugh:
Profile PM 
Izorion Offline

Posted: May 25 2008, 14:39

mm, agree as well.. think Mike is a smart man, take a break and do other things! Relax, enjoy life, hopefully get some new idees..  :zzz:

--------------
The Wise Man Knows, There Is Alot To Learn.
"No. Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 28 2008, 21:53

We will have to be patient and wait for Mike or his administrators to give us an official reply.

Cheers
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 29 2008, 22:36

I have to agree that it was a nice interview. A book, baby, album, launch all within a pretty short time span is pretty intense. Who wouldn't need a bit of recharging and stepping back?  He's welcome to join us in SL for a recharge and some R&R--might get those creative juices flowing again. :) But all in good time. Maybe he could hold some seminars or clinics to mentor young guitarists.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
changeling Offline

Posted: June 03 2008, 11:42

That was a great interview. Thanks for that ! It was nice too hear Mike so relaxed. Enjoy your time off Mike with your family, hopefully your muse isn't retiring just yet..

--------------
"Terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect"

Mike Oldfield 1998
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 10:47

You know what's weird?  That one of the most moving things (to me) that MO ever did was this one little moment at the end of the interview on the old "Elements" tape.  He pointed out the fly on the interviewer's nose and then cracked up.  And even as the playout music started he could still be seen unable to stop laughing.  To me that was just as heartwarming as any of his most beautiful music.  Hard to explain why.

:laugh:

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 24 2008, 02:05

Nice to hear him mentioning Sid James, how wonderfully old school is that? Plus I now have the amusing image in my mind of the conductor pointing his stick at Mike.
Profile PM 
19 replies since May 15 2008, 11:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net