Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC Radio 2 webchat and Los40 Q&A< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 22 2003, 12:36

During webchats and Q&A on BBC Radio 2 (transcript) and Los40 (English translation by Maria), Mike said that he may do a 5.1 mix for Ommadawn and confirmed there will be no Tubular Bells 2003 concert.
Profile PM 
Harry H Potter
Unregistered

Posted: May 22 2003, 14:36

wow that sounds nice is this 5.1 thing audible in headphones or have you got to be surrounded by speakers???????????  ;)
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: May 22 2003, 15:29

Putting 5.1 headphones on your head is not very comfortable.
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 22 2003, 15:43

maybe someone could develop  kind'a bubble helmet headphones set for the occasion :D
yeah... i know it'd be difficult and maybe a bit uncomfortable... but ommadawn remixed in 5.1 would deserve it.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Harry H Potter
Unregistered

Posted: May 22 2003, 16:24

Thats right Maria Ommadawn sounds awesome in good headphones.
Sergenry
Unregistered

Posted: May 22 2003, 17:40

Los discos que más valoran tus seguidores son aquellos que contienen una compleja obra instrumental tocada con instrumentos tradicionales como "Ommadawn" o "Hergest Ridge". ¿Piensas volver a realizar un disco de este estilo o al contrario seguir con la simplicidad y los ordenadores?   En una conferencia de prensa hoy pedí alos concurrente si debía componer piezas cortas o largas obras instrumentales. Por mayoría se decantaron por las obras instrumentales. Ahora, me gustaría hecrlo con una mezcla de instrumentos tradicionales y ordenadores.

Un fan :"Tes disques précédents avait plus de touche instrumentale avec des instruments traditionnels comme Ommadawn et H.Ridge. Penses-tu un jour revenir à ce style de musique ou continuras-tu à faire des compositions simples avec des ordinateurs."

Mike:" Aujourd'hui, dans une conférence de presse, on m'a demandé si je ferai toujours des petits morceaux (au lieu des longs instrumentaux, ndtr Sergenry).En général, les fans préfèrent les instrumentaux.  By majority they showed preference for instrumental works.  Maintenant, j'aimerai mélanger la musique électronique avec la musique traditionnel."

So, Mike said : he will compose traditional music mixed with electronic music in futur.

Sorry, i cannot speak english well.
Sergenry from Flying-Start's newsletter.
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 22 2003, 22:04

There are surround sound headphone systems available, some working with multiple drivers, others working purely with electronic processing, all with varying degrees of success.
Profile PM 
Ducados
Unregistered

Posted: May 24 2003, 02:38

Oh nooooo .....

Before all Virgin works in HDCD, now a new Tubular Bells (TB1, TOTB, TB1 Boxed, TB1 Exposed, TB1 Elements, TB2, TB3, dvd TB2 & TB3, TB 25TH Anniversary, The Best TB, TB1 SACD and TB 2003, 14 times TB... buf.. ) and now all his classic works again in 5.1?.

Please, new music. new good music, no more ost of a game.

NEW GOOD MUSIC!!!, i don`t spend my money in music that I bought in cd years ago again.

NEW GOOD MUSIC!!!
NEW GOOD MUSIC!!!
NEW GOOD MUSIC!!!
NEW GOOD MUSIC!!!
NEW GOOD MUSIC!!!
NEW GOOD MUSIC!!!
NEW GOOD MUSIC!!! :(  :(  :(  :(
Recycled
Unregistered

Posted: May 24 2003, 10:55

5.1 ?  is that for people with 5 ears?
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 24 2003, 11:27

.....TB1 Exposed, TB1 Elements, TB2, TB3,.......

? TB1 Elements is no different from the original TB. Except maybe that it's an excerpt. I wouldn't add it to this list, though.

And I'm content with whatever he does.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
andrewpanther Offline

Posted: May 25 2003, 08:31

Well it seems there may be some 'Cloth eared nicompoops' out there ! For those who haven't heard a really good 5.1 surround sound system then you are really missing out big time. If you have ever been to see and hear an orchestra, then you will be able to here the string section from one side, the woodwind from another, the brass and the bass drums booming, of which you can see, hear and feel, and even determine from your ears, (say if you were to close your eyes) that exact position in the orchestra from which the music is coming from. This my dear Mike Oldfield friends is what the 5.1 is 'roughly' about. It comprises of SIX  separate channels. The front and rear in stereo(ie 4 channels), Front centre speaker, and sub woofer. This then 'attempts' to re-create an atmosphere with which we can listen to great works such as Mike oldfield rather than just in Stereo.
     I hope this clarify's things a bit!- I felt the need to explain this, I may not be Totally correct with this example, but I hope you can get what I'm saying.
     I really hope Mike will continue doing whatever he feels is right for him to do as a musician. After hearing the 60 secs of TB2003 I think it sounds wicked and I can't wait for a full CD of it ! My only dissapointment is there isn't (at this stage) going to be a live performance. This would for me, and I hope many other fans be an amazing experiance, I would campare this to hearing Rachmaninov playing the 'Rach three' live.
     Keep doing what you like Mike, right from your heart.
AG. :)
Profile PM 
Mr. Bean
Unregistered

Posted: May 27 2003, 18:09

"Well it seems there may be some 'Cloth eared nicompoops' out there ... For those who haven't heard a really good 5.1 surround sound system then you are really missing out big time. If you have ever been to see and hear an orchestra, then you will be able to here the string section from one side, the woodwind from another, the brass and the bass drums booming... This my dear Mike Oldfield friends is what the 5.1 is 'roughly' about... "
If you need 5.1 to hear which side each instrument is coming from , then I am afraid that YOU are the cloth-eared nicompoop. (with all due respect)
The last time that I saw an orchestra, they were IN FRONT of me. The only thing 5.1 is good for is movies and approximating Pink Floyd concerts.  A really good amp and 2 good speakers will give a much more accurate representation of a 'live" experience.
Most of the sound stage is front,left and right, and some sound will fill the room as it goes by you.  Some sounds will sound futher back than others,too. 5.1 is fun occasionally, and I certainly would like to hear any alternative mixes to Mike's music.
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 18:38

Actually, aside from the fact that 5.1 audio streams usually have a greater audio quality than the usual 44 khz, 16 bit that a cd has, 5.1 does add to the experience:

* While it is true that an orchestra would be in front of you, 5.1 would add a middle channel between left and right. This does lead to a greater clarity and separation of the music you hear.
* Any room or hall has reflections which can be represented by the back channels, totally immersing you in the sound.

I think what you have to realise is that 5.1 not necessarily means five different instruments coming from 5 sides (which would be distressing I think). It's main advantage is that it better simulates the audio environment the composer wants.

By the way: isn't it 'nincompoop'? :D
Profile PM 
Mr. Bean
Unregistered

Posted: May 27 2003, 20:27

Actually, it almost always is the intent of the record companies to place individual parts in individual speakers. (if not, then we might as well go back to quad) If not individual instruments and/or vocals, they put entire sections in each channel, which is also weird. As stated, a good stereo system will give proper depth ,i.e, center placement as well as left,right, front center,rear front center,sides, and the NATURAL sound that comes from behind as a result of room acoustics etc...
You  have the correct spelling, I was just quoting.
Anyway, enjoy the 5.1 !  The more MO music out there the better !
seliador
Unregistered

Posted: May 29 2003, 03:23

No concerts...
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: May 31 2003, 14:55

i've just downloaded a few of the movements of the 2003 TB, and i must say that i don't like the mix,

o Mike, why didn't you ring me?

; )
Octapolis
Unregistered

Posted: June 05 2003, 02:28

Fuck 5.1 !!!
:(
Mike should make really new records!!!
Octapolis of My Webpage
16 replies since May 22 2003, 12:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net