Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC Radio 2 - Sounds of the 70's - Tubular Bells, 29 July 2012< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 25 2012, 10:02

Johnnie Walker of BBC Radio 2 has been talking to Mike in advance of his Sounds of the 70's Radio show this coming Sunday 29 July 2012 at 15:00 which is titled "Tubular Bells".

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 25 2012, 11:25

April?

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 25 2012, 11:29

Quote (yanouch65 @ July 25 2012, 16:25)
April?

oops - fixed - must be old age ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2013, 10:40

The edition of Sounds of the Seventies on at this moment is themed around album covers.  Johnnie looks to have saved a bit of Mike's summer interview - talking about the bent bells and the briefing to Trevor Key - for this occasion.  It was about 15 minutes in, and I'll hit the iPlayer tomorrow for confirmation.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 08 2013, 07:55

The link;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pm9tv

It drops into the show at the 16-minute mark.  You'd prefer to hear it, of course, but this is what's said.

Johnnie Walker: And you often hear the word 'iconic' used about album covers - never more so really than Dark Side of the Moon and Tubular Bells.  And amazing how much can just change on a fluke as Mike Oldfield turns up for his first sessions paid for by Richard Branson and Virgin Records at the Virgin Studios, The Manor, in Oxfordshire.  John Cale had just been doing a session and had rented some tubular bells, and they were just going out to the van.  And Mike Oldfield says: "What are those then?"
"Tubular Bells."
He said: "Um, couldn't borrow them for a bit, could I?"  Which he did.  And so that produced one of the... an amazing album and also an amazing sleeve.  Mike Oldfield remembers.

Mike Oldfield:  When I actually hit the tubular bells, they gave you this kind of little leather hammer, and it kind of goes DOING, so I said, "Well no, no, I kind of want - you know... bigger sound than that", so they went to the workshop and they gave me a succession of bigger and bigger hammers until I got a really big one!  So then I whacked the hell out of it with that big hammer and kind of made a huge dent in it.  So when it came around to doing the cover, I said to the photographer, who was Trevor Key, "Well now... imagine a bell that's been destroyed or damaged."  And he came up with the idea of bending it, you know, into that shape, and he built a model of it in his photo studio, and then went to a butcher's shop and bought all these bones, and he set fire to them.  And if you look there's these burning bones on the beach.  And then he super-imposed the bell on top of that.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 09 2013, 07:36

One of my timed computer sessions yesterday so I ran out of time to A: check the link was working (done now), and B: also draw your attention to the other bit of BBC radio action last weekend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pp19s

I spotted the tweet a few hours later.  I actually was running through the radio channels on my TV at the time, either just before or after Tom Robinson played Shadow on the Wall and afterwards commented, "It's not that often you hear Mike Oldfield on BBC Radio 6 Music; I don't see why not though.  That's Shadow on the Wall featuring... well, I was wondering who that vocalist was but once you actually got to the verse, you could easily tell it was Roger Chapman from Family."

Mildly illuminating to learn that even on the eclectic stations, the presenter isn't always aware of what the producer or programme planner has lined up! ;)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
5 replies since July 25 2012, 10:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net