Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: BBC Four - Tubular Bells: The Mike Oldfield Story< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 10 2013, 02:31

BBC Four is going to broadcast a new one hour documentary called 'Tubular Bells: The Mike Oldfield Story' made by Tigerlily Films on October 11. This was filmed in Mike's studio in Nassau where he demonstrated playing multiple instruments from Tubular Bells and showed how it was put together. Two trailers are available.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 10 2013, 04:43

Wow, that looks amazing, and only 1 day to wait :) looks like it was filmed in HD too. Fantastic.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2013, 06:24

Yes but BBC4 is not an HD channel ! :(

Possible DVD/Blu-ray down the line though :)
Profile PM 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2013, 08:53

I wish I can watch it here in Mexico in some way. Maybe they will post it in iTunes.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2013, 20:35

Quote (MasterGeek.MX @ Oct. 10 2013, 08:53)
I wish I can watch it here in Mexico in some way. Maybe they will post it in iTunes.

I hear ya bro, but I'm sure it will turn up somewhere.  ;)
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 00:06

Thanks Olivier.  The trailers look really good, with some fine unintentional humour on trailer 2.  
Let's hope this program gets to see the light of day as a DVD/Blu-Ray/iTunes release.
Profile PM 
adler Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 14:17

You can use this program (http://www.expatshield.com/) to watch BBC4 outside UK. I tested yesterday and did work well !
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 01:36

This was really good, I was very impressed with it, lot's of people involved from Mike's past, including Sally and Terry Oldfield, RB, Simon Draper, Tom Newman, etc. Mike was playing Bass and electric guitar and keyboad along with the original tapes. He seemed quite relaxed and happy being interviewed. I do get the impression that this will have a DVD/Blu-ray release with more interviews and more of Mike playing, because right at the end you see him playing the acoustic end of Part 1, but only a second or 2. Overall this for me was a very good documentary :)
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 02:48

Quote (adler @ Oct. 11 2013, 14:17)
You can use this program....

Google Chrome worked for me in Australia with the "media hints" extension installed. I've watched documentaries about countless other great rock albums, so good to see Tubular Bells being acknowledged in this way.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 08:39

You can use this program (http://www.expatshield.com/) to watch BBC4 outside UK. I tested yesterday and did work well !

Quote (adler @ Oct. 11 2013, 14:17)
You can use this program....

Google Chrome worked for me in Australia with the "media hints" extension installed. I've watched documentaries about countless other great rock albums, so good to see Tubular Bells being acknowledged in this way.[/quote]

The Expatshield program did not work for me in Canada; a paying page was showing up when I was trying to play the video.

However, the "Media Hint" extension is working #1 with Firefox, I just listened the whole thing (the extension is not just for Chrome).

Very interesting interview, some very interesting footage. The only flaw is that again, it only speaks of Tubular Bells...(5 minutes at the end about Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, only a little...)[I][/I]
Profile PM 
svalbard Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2013, 10:12

What are the chances that tubular bells will be back in album charts soon given hugely impressive reviews of BBC 4 doc?
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2013, 11:16

Doesn't everyone have a copy already?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2013, 15:07

Quote (svalbard @ Oct. 13 2013, 10:12)
What are the chances that tubular bells will be back in album charts soon given hugely impressive reviews of BBC 4 doc?

Pretty even, as it turns out...

91 101up 210
SIGH NO MORE
SIGH NO MORE

MUMFORD & SONS

(GENTLEMEN OF THE ROAD/ISLAND)
Buy

92 75down 187
SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK
SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK

ROD STEWART

(WARNER BROS)
Buy

93 NEW 7
TUBULAR BELLS
TUBULAR BELLS

MIKE OLDFIELD

(MERCURY)
Buy

94 74down 5
SNAPSHOT
SNAPSHOT

STRYPES

(EMI)
Buy

95 103up 106
EVERY KINGDOM
EVERY KINGDOM

BEN HOWARD

(ISLAND)
Buy

http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

That must mean 7 weeks on the chart overall for the Mercury reissue with the two extra tracks.  Also at Number 6 in the rock classification, on which its clocked up 9 weeks.   Not sure yet if the Heritage chart has been updated as these both say up to 19th October and it's still at the 12th.
http://www.officialcharts.com/rock-and-metal-albums-chart/

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
hergestridge Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2013, 17:02

Really interesting programme. I thought the most perceptive comment came from Tom Newman, who said that since the the Exegesis course, Mike had found it 'very hard to reach the places where the real music came from'.
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2013, 06:12

Amazing documentary. I loved every second of it.

Tom also recognizes that he knows that Mike is feeling much better and found peace, even if his behavior after Exegesis was excessive, but when you open a pressure cooker, it happens :)

He is also the one who insists about the terrible mental state that Mike was in at the time he was doing TB, and so do Sally and Terry.

Someone on the Amarok ML did upload it here in a very good quality, I hope it still works + I don't do any bad by mentioning it here (legal blah blah), let me know if it's bad and I'll edit this post asap.

But considering we're all "only fans", I hope it's OK = jump on it while you can ;)

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2013, 18:22

Thankyou!
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2013, 07:38

Great programe .
I thought Tom Newman was right on the button and agree with him about Mikes latter recordings , but it was a very selfish thing to say.
Im sure Mike saw it before it went out and must have given it his blessing .
Most of his fans know about his mental state over the years but its still sad to see .
I find Branson a real bore and always has to get his advert in mentioning Virgin Galactic .
Thought Sally look well .
TB still stands up well in 2013 .
The film brought back memories for me going out and buying it , taking it home and making my mum and dad listen to the whole record ( it was their record player ) and giving me the look that I had moved on from glam rock .
Ah the 70s
Profile PM 
memberd Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2013, 08:19

Yes, excellent quality documentray as ever from the Beeb. Glad others picked up what Newman was saying about his best music coming from his "suffering" years.

I have a recording.

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2013, 14:20

Just watched it on BBC iplayer.Two touching moments for me ,his younger brother,and the final chat with his mother.
Really enjoyed it funny at times,and a great insight into how it all came together.
Profile PM 
jonh Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2013, 07:31

What did everyone think of the live performance of TB,being relatively new to Mike's music i thought it was very good.I was a bit suprised by the lenghth of it(25 mins) tho.
Profile PM 
31 replies since Oct. 10 2013, 02:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net