Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bagpipe Guitars - similarity< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nsherin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2005, 17:41

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help. I've noticed that Bagpipe Guitars on TB2003 (and obviously the relevant section on TB), sounds very similar to a traditional theme/or piece of classical music - as 'Sailor's Hornpipe' is based on a traditional theme. Listening to the rare single/bootleg of Mike's 'Variations on a Theme' also confirms this.

Can anyone tell me what it is actually based on - be it traditional arrangement or classical?

Thanks!
Profile PM 
nsherin Offline

Posted: May 03 2009, 16:44

Hi all,

I'm still curious as to where this Mike Oldfield track came from. Was it unreleased or a B side of a single?

The MP3 is here: http://www.kenmare.plus.com/VariationOnATheme.mp3

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could have a listen and let me know.

It's one of my favourite parts of Tubular Bells and this is a really nice version.

Cheers,
Neil
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: May 03 2009, 17:32

Neil - this is "Mike Oldfield's Single" and was released as the A-side of a single with "Froggy Went A-Courting" on the B-side.

You'll probably have read elsewhere on these forums that this track will be released in glorious 5.1 as part of the re-release of TB next month.
Profile PM 
nsherin Offline

Posted: May 04 2009, 14:48

Thanks for the info on the track, The Thin Man!

Much appreciared - it was a question that had been niggling me for ages!

Really like this version - one of those tracks that makes the hairs on your arm stand up and always just sounds 'right' to play late at night.

Yes, I've now read about the re-release (thanks for the heads up). I think I'll be going for the deluxe edition, as I already have the 1973 vinyl pressing. Great news though - I've been a Tubular Bells fan since the age of 2 - I'm 29 now. I think it was the first album I heard/got into after childrens songs. I remember having a recording of the vinyl and playing it on Philips and ITT cassette decks.

Am really looking forward to listening to the new 5.1 mix - I bought a very nice Canton 5.1 surround sound speaker package a few months back to go with my Onkyo AV receiver, so am hoping this will sound damn good.

Does anyone happen to know if the 5.1 DVD will be econded in DTS at all?

Cheers,
Neil
Profile PM 
3 replies since July 26 2005, 17:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net