Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Australian review of MOTS, Needs exorcised apparently< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 29 2008, 12:35

A review of Music of the Spheres can be found on an Australian website here. Not very impressed but at least is sounds like they did give it a good listen (part 1 anyway, no mentions of part 2...)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2008, 15:54

They seemed to like the 'gorgeous' Silhouette the most, your 'tinkling piano' Matt.

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 29 2008, 16:54

I'm not sure who Music of the Spheres will appeal to. Its 14 tracks are far too episodic to mean very much to classical purists and its one-dimensional structure is likely to alienate fans of his normally more complex fare.

I believe that phrase nailed exactly why so many of us feel unsure about considering this album as full-blown "classical music". The tracks feel like "songs", not pieces or movements of a bigger whole. Either way, as much as many might not appreciate the lukewarm review, at least the writer knows what he's talking about, and gives a good reasoning to the "enough Tubular Bells!" sentiment.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: April 29 2008, 17:24

Quote (Tayniee @ April 29 2008, 20:54)
They seemed to like the 'gorgeous' Silhouette the most, your 'tinkling piano' Matt.

That is what made me wonder if they had listened to part 2. If they liked Silhouette with its lovely "tinkly piano" etc. surely they would have mentioned Harmonia Mundi, which to me is Silhouette taken to a new level. Also when comparing themes to the original TB they made no mention of Musica Universalis, also on part 2 and also reminiscent of the TB finale as many have mentioned.

Strange!

At least it is exposure and at least they reviewed with a good knowledge of Mikes work and actually listening to MOTS (except for part 2 of course  ;)  )

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 03:42

Funnily, it never occured to me that The Tempest is a variation on the TB theme - but come to think of it, he's right about that! An original and clever variation though, it has to be said.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 22:47

The review was written by a dear friend of mine, who has had Oldfield in his blood most of his life, with whom I have walked on the beach at Byron Bay (when I wasn't running on the beach....with MO's music). :) I knew that he was writing the review and that he would offer a very candid opinion, but hadn't yet seen it. Thanks for sharing! Who knows...you might see him here to engage in further discussion...stranger things have happened on the forums. :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 22:51

Thought this one should be moved over to the "Media Coverage" section.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: May 02 2008, 14:36

Anyone who holds Ommadawn, Incantations and Amarok in such high regard has got to have MO in his blood :)

I do like the album quite a bit, but I agree that 1. MO could have done well enough to not rehash the TB-bits again (actually, Musica Universalis irks me a bit more than Harbinger does), and 2. it might be a little too "pretty" and naïve, musically.

On a bit of a lighter note, if I were Aurora Australis, I'd be pretty miffed at MO, myself :P

~k

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 09 2008, 11:52

Ian Cuthbertson has reviewed Music of the Spheres for The Australian, arguing that the classical album would need an exorcism.
Profile PM 
wolfus Offline

Posted: May 10 2008, 21:22

well, hello there

In my other life, as a section editor (I'm the television editor at The Australian), the opportunity to review Mike for the music pages had to be met with a strict kind of objectivity. Which is not to say that I wouldn't agree with what I've said in the review - just that one has a responsibility, in a national broadsheet, to be a little less subjective than one might be on a mailing list or a fan site.

Incidentally, after I had written it, but before I published this review, I spoke with Mike's "people" at Universal, about the possibility of doing a large-ish arts interview (by phone) about MOTS and his life in music for a feature in The Australian. The response? "Mike isn't doing any press for the next three months".

I wonder if it might have been "six months" if they'd read the review?
;>

I don't mind at all being turned down for an interview (by necessity, I got over being star struck years ago) but I've always wondered why Mike sells very few records here in Australia - now I believe I know.

With regard to the review of MOTS, and what was put in, and what was left out, it's all about being economical with words. You'd be surprised how quickly 370 words get chewed up when you have a lot to say about someone's music you've loved for 35 years

cheers,
Ian Cuthbertson
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 10 2008, 23:10

Quote (wolfus @ May 11 2008, 02:22)
well, hello there

In my other life, as a section editor (I'm the television editor at The Australian), the opportunity to review Mike for the music pages had to be met with a strict kind of objectivity. Which is not to say that I wouldn't agree with what I've said in the review - just that one has a responsibility, in a national broadsheet, to be a little less subjective than one might be on a mailing list or a fan site.

Incidentally, after I had written it, but before I published this review, I spoke with Mike's "people" at Universal, about the possibility of doing a large-ish arts interview (by phone) about MOTS and his life in music for a feature in The Australian. The response? "Mike isn't doing any press for the next three months".

I wonder if it might have been "six months" if they'd read the review?
;>

I don't mind at all being turned down for an interview (by necessity, I got over being star struck years ago) but I've always wondered why Mike sells very few records here in Australia - now I believe I know.

With regard to the review of MOTS, and what was put in, and what was left out, it's all about being economical with words. You'd be surprised how quickly 370 words get chewed up when you have a lot to say about someone's music you've loved for 35 years

cheers,
Ian Cuthbertson

Ahh it`s the big bad Wolfus.. ;) I can understand your frustration at not being granted an interview with Mike there.I honestly don`t know why that was?It could simply have been that Mike had decided that "press time was over" so`s to speak.It always seems to me that he has to gear himself up,or put himself in the right frame of mind for all that stuff still.That said it does seem a little odd that Universal would turn down flat an opportunity for Mike to raise his Australian profile a little.

I actually agree with much of what you say in your review btw.It`s kind of been debated to death here already really,but I was also very dis-heartened by Mike going back to the TB theme again.Even though aside from all that I do really like this album,especially tracks like Silhouette,Shabda,On My Heart and Harmonia Mundi.Some of Mike`s strongest melodies for quite a while there I thought.  

I'm not sure who Music of the Spheres will appeal to. Its 14 tracks are far too episodic to mean very much to classical purists and its one-dimensional structure is likely to alienate fans of his normally more complex fare

Again I can see exactly what your saying there.It`s not challenging enough for the classical crowd.And nor is it as exciting as some of Mike`s stronger work such as Ommadawn,Amarok etc.Albums that you mention there yourself of course.

Without wishing to stir up a whole heap of unrest on the board here though.I`d like to think I know who this album appeals to.Or perhaps more to the point the target audience it was aimed at.MOTS has done fantastic buisness in this country.Mainly down to some heavy airplay on the Classic FM station over here.Some heavy promoting from Mike himself.And the whole "sanitised" tubular theme itself of course.Which unfortunatly for a good number of people still.Will always be bigger than the man behind the theme itself.It`s orchestrated easy listening really,with a kind of partially cool and comfortable nostalgic tag attached to it.The whole cosmic thing is just in there as a comet like curveball imo.And probablly just a little kick starter for Mike to work his ideas around in all reality.The thing is though a lot of people really like that sort of stuff.My dad thinks it`s the best album he`s ever made for instance.He probably wont actually listen to it a great deal.Even while he`s playing it filling in bloody sudoku or something.But I honestly think that`s fine anyway.If I`m being honest with the onset of middle age here it`s probablly part of the reason why I like it myself...You never know though maybe Mike has still got a mid-life "Crises" or two up his sleeve yet?Or better still a mid-life Ommadawn...  :p
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 11 2008, 00:46

It's got to be very frustrating for the marketing and promotional people at Universal.  They are probably doing everything they can to raise MO's profile, and here the man won't play "the game" even just a TINY bit.  He won't grant a phone interview?  Honestly, how hard can it be to sit down with a beer and just chat for 15 minutes?  It's pretty obvious that Mr. Cuthbertson is not some cloying, obsequious sycophant in search of tabloid fodder.  Oh, wait.  I forgot.  The whole tortured recluse thing.

Good heavens, the man is certainly not doing himself any favours, is he?  One would think it was impossible to have a private life and a public life at the same time.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've actually caught myself thinking that perhaps I've been too hard on Branson.  I swear, if I didn't adore MO's work so much...

:/
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 11 2008, 03:01

It seems to me that Mike gave quite a bit to the promotion of MOTS. I enjoyed keeping watch over the media announcements but, after awhile, I began to think 'What? Another interview??'. I don't think the man deserves to be slammed for taking a break.

It's unfortunate that a word limit has to apply to such reviews, but then they don't really change the way I think or feel about art, anyway. I can see how the appearance of 'Tubularisms' might frustrate some, but - on the flipside - I'm sure I'm not the only listener for whom it's simply not an issue.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: May 11 2008, 03:57

Quote (wolfus @ May 11 2008, 02:22)
well, hello there

Hello Wolfus,

so have you listened to part two of Music of the Spheres?

:D

--------------
Profile PM 
wolfus Offline

Posted: May 11 2008, 04:38

yes, Matt, I believe I have listened to "part 2" though frankly I wasn't aware CDs had a part 2 - unless you mean the iTunes live d/l?

But if you mean the likes of Aurora, and the thin as water TB-Bolero clone of Musica Universalis (actually these pretentious Latin titles give me the heeby jeebies), then yes.

big bad wolf, eh?

you better believe it!

www.myspace.com/wolveswithdances
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 11 2008, 18:02

No slamming was intended.  But I have to ask: a break from what?  He's not touring.  He's not recording (that we know of).  He's not running the treadmill of talkshows and press conferences that other artists usually do.  He's doing some, but not a lot.

And as far as the promotion of MOTS goes, I have not seen one poster, not one store display.  I have not heard one track on the radio-and I usually listen to classical radio.  I have not seen any interviews on TV.  I live in Canada, for crying out loud.  Not the moon.  Winnipeg is in the center of the country-I've lived here all my life, and to my knowledge he has never played here once (I will recant that statement if I can be proven wrong).  MO is STILL not even listed on Universal's or Mercury's websites.

An old-fashioned notion it may be, but I thought being an artiste in the world of music meant taking it to the people.  And yes, even playing once in a while in some places that may be a little remote-because if you do that, you earn fans for life.

Will I stop digging the music?  Never.  Am I pissed?  Yeah, a little, because someone's not doing their job.  And that hurts.  It wouldn't hurt if I didn't care.  And I'd be willing to wager that there are a lot of local fans that would make a few shows here worthwhile for MO to do.  Maybe not right away, with a new wee one and all that.  But hey, lots of us are parents and we still go to work.

Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 01 2008, 01:39

Quote (Bassman @ May 11 2008, 18:02)
No slamming was intended.  But I have to ask: a break from what?  He's not touring.  He's not recording (that we know of).  He's not running the treadmill of talkshows and press conferences that other artists usually do.  He's doing some, but not a lot.

And as far as the promotion of MOTS goes, I have not seen one poster, not one store display.  I have not heard one track on the radio-and I usually listen to classical radio.  I have not seen any interviews on TV.  I live in Canada, for crying out loud.  Not the moon.  Winnipeg is in the center of the country-I've lived here all my life, and to my knowledge he has never played here once (I will recant that statement if I can be proven wrong).  MO is STILL not even listed on Universal's or Mercury's websites.

An old-fashioned notion it may be, but I thought being an artiste in the world of music meant taking it to the people.  And yes, even playing once in a while in some places that may be a little remote-because if you do that, you earn fans for life.

Will I stop digging the music?  Never.  Am I pissed?  Yeah, a little, because someone's not doing their job.  And that hurts.  It wouldn't hurt if I didn't care.  And I'd be willing to wager that there are a lot of local fans that would make a few shows here worthwhile for MO to do.  Maybe not right away, with a new wee one and all that.  But hey, lots of us are parents and we still go to work.

I agree with you here. I am from Toronto, Canada. I know what you mean about lack of promotion.

I know you didn't sound that you were slamming Mike at all.  Mike may have been doing promotion across the seas but you would you think the record company, or even Mike himself, would want to promote the new album across the world. Not just Europe.

I would like to hear interviews over here, or even hearing some of the album on radio, like a classical radio station, but there isn't anything. And that is frustrating.

The last time Mike played in Toronto, and the only time, was during the Five Miles Out tour. A very long time now.

I love the new album, in my opinion it is his finest album in years. I would like to hear more of it here, more promotion.

Craig

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 01 2008, 22:37

Thank you, dude.  Here I was thinking that this was yet another thread I had killed!

:)

MusicallyInspired, you're a fellow Winnipegger.  Any thoughts?

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 07:16

Quote (Bassman @ June 01 2008, 22:37)
Thank you, dude.  Here I was thinking that this was yet another thread I had killed!

:)

MusicallyInspired, you're a fellow Winnipegger.  Any thoughts?

No problem. Definetley didn't ruin this thread.  :D Always a pleasure meeting a Canadian MO fan.  :)

Craig

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 20:27

Craig, go over to the thread called "Your Story" and give us your story!

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
22 replies since April 29 2008, 12:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net