Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Australian Fans< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
rosko Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 22 2000, 09:06

As an Oldfield fan in Australia I feel very alone. The only people I know who have even heard of him are some of my relatives (they're not massive fans anyway), and the only time I hear him on the radio is when Moonlight Shadow gets played occasionally (it was a big hit over here). The only time he's ever toured here was the FMO tour, but that didn't include my state and I wasn't even born yet anyway.

It's great to discuss him with other fans on the forum, but if your in Australia I would really like to hear from you in particular, just to see that there are other people living here with musical taste decent enough to be into MO. Thanks.
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: July 29 2000, 05:57

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rosko in the "criticism and humour section":
You've really hit the nail on the head there bennyboy! I too am tired of people in the forum calling Mike's newer work "soulless". As for The Millennium Bell, it's got just a few low points but overall it's a great album. Just listen to "Lake Constance". How can anyone call that "soulless"? I think it's one of his best tracks in recent years.
By the way, I noticed that you have heard of Bardot (DOWN WITH THAT RUBBISH!!! STUPID MASS-MANUFACTURED POP!!! DON'T GO THINKING I LIKE THEM!!!). The reason that interests me is that it might mean that you are in Australia, their country of origin. If so, please post a message to the Australian fans section in Fans around the world. I'd love to hear from some Australian Mike Oldfield fans - sometimes it seems like I'm the only one!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Rosko, I am a 17 year old university student from the Northern Territory in Australia. I too thought that I was the only one because every time I cited MO as my favourite musical dude people responded with:
"Mike who?"
or occasionally
"That Tubular Bells guy, right?"

Oh, and yes, Bardot suck like nothing else. Those who go on about how crap "Earth Moving" was should listen to some of their work.

It was the fact that I had become so jaded at the state of the modern music industry that made me turn to MO in the first place. I couldn't stand most of the grunge (a bunch of guys who can't sing shouting on about how f---ed up society is) and rap (a bunch of black guys who can't sing stuttering on about how f---ed up society is) being churned out by the record companies. The rest seemed to be prettyboy/girl poppers singing two sorts of songs: the "what can i do, i'm so in love with you" sort and the "get up and i'll make you get down" sort. You see how terribly cynical I am?

Anyway, I'd better sign off now, nice chattin and all...

Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: July 29 2000, 08:37

Great. This means that I can get one signature apart from mine on a petition to get Mike to do an Australian tour. Then again, another hundred or so would help a bit more.
Profile PM 
Kara Offline

Posted: July 31 2000, 02:42

I know exactly how you feel! I also feel alone...I live in Adelaide and I only know one other MO fan around here. I'm forever trying to get my friends to appreciate his music, but so far I haven't had much luck frown It really is quite sad really - they don't know what they're missing out on!
Hey Rosko, I'm with you with the petition. For a while I've been thinking of ways to get him over here, and I think we just need to show that there will be enough fans to fill one of his shows - even if he only came over and did one here, perhaps in Syndey or somthing. Surely there are more aussie MO fans out there! Speak up everyone!!!

~Kara

P.S. bennyboy, it's great to see another 'younger' (no offense to everyone else ofcourse!!) MO fan. I'm 19, and all my friends my age are into pop crap (and yes *cringe* Bardot) and I get the same "Mike who?" response aswell frown
Profile PM 
chriscotton Offline

Posted: July 31 2000, 04:05

...Yep, we're here. I'm from SA. The one who introduced Kara (who also has written to you) to MO actually - a fond achievement!! I often request his music on SA radio and get knocked back (#@**!!)...then I'll go in to record stores and ask them if he's got anything new out - ofcourse, I know what's going around but I ask anyway; some of the staff say they've heard of him and didn't realise he's such a prolific artist when I say that he's still putting stuff out. It stimulates their minds if nothing else, and gets them thinking about him!
Good to see there are more MO fans around. Infact I've come across heaps of them - and most of them are as fanatical as us.
My suggestion to Mike...play TSODE live at the Woomera rocket range under the stars one night...that would just go off (pardon the pun)!!
Regards,
Chris Cotton
Lobethal, SA.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 11 2000, 06:10

Wow - there really are other Aussie MO fans!! Fantastic - this is really great to know! I've been a fan for 20 years - since I was 17 and I've played all his albums to death since then. I'm now 37 years old and my two daughters (aged 8 and 5) are also huge fans - we play his music full boar in the car all the time - it really surprises people that a mum could play music in the car that loud, but who cares!!! I love the sheer variety - and some of his stuff is trully inspirational - gets me through the down times no worries!

Somebody please get that man to tour down under some time - it'd be great to see him play live!
Kara Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2000, 20:29

Hey does anyone here have any ideas as to what we can do to actually get him over here?? Basically I think we need to prove that there is enough Aussie MO fans for it to be worth it for him to come all the way over here (Well OFCOURSE it will be worth it for US! smile) But somehow we need to show that there would be enough fans to fill one of his concerts.
Any ideas????

~Kara
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2000, 09:40

I've read that Dark Star subscribers get free e-mail forwarding to Mike. So if anyone Australian fans get Dark Star, they should try sending a message regarding a national (that means including WA!!!!!) Australian tour.

PS - I'd love to get Dark Star myself, but being a high-school student, I have virtually no income right now.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2000, 17:59

I'm in exactly the same position as you, rosko. I am also a high school student in WA who can't afford Dark Star and would like/ desperately needs an MO tour.

Is this the total number of MO Australian fans using TubularWeb?
Profile PM WEB 
ComaBlack Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2000, 15:18

Add one more smile

Perth, WA, 20 years old.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 10 2001, 00:03

I have been listening to Mike Oldfield since TB1.I emigrated in 1984 to Victoria Australia
from Scotland.My brother saw him live at nebworth or someplace but I missed out.If he doesn't come over here I will have to go back there.
I asked Carrie Melbourne if she knew anything about an Australian tour but she has not saw Mike since the TB111 concerts etc where she played bass for him.
It would be great to see him in Australia. Good to see other apreciaters of his music in Aus. Here's hoping he will do a tour.
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2001, 07:42

Eight!
Eight Aussies!
Only Eight!

I don't think we're going to convince Mike that's enough for a tour- so here's the new challenge:

Either:
a) each of us pretends to be about 150 other people (as well as ourselves) so it looks like there is a lot of interest
or
b) all you silent Aussies out there, on Amarok, Elements, IRC, or even reading but not posting here, we want to here from YOU! NOW!!!! We are not representatives of an obscure nation that will never be graced by Mike Oldfield again. So what if it costs a lot to tour the whole flipping nation because it's so flipping big, you've got enough cash Mike, how about spending it (on things other than houses and the like wink)? Call me Mr Crazy (actually don't, my name is Tim, call me that instead), but I somehow doubt that Mike's going to tour here unless there is fan intervention or something similar (cue for an annoucement tomorrow that says Mike will visit Perth, Kalgoorlie, Broken Hill, Wagga Wagga and all the other obscure and isolated towns in Australia).

So come on all you Australians. Here's a forum topic waiting for you to respond.

-Tim-

Who is not in the slightest bit mad (well, only a little, but not too much)
Profile PM WEB 
cp Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2001, 04:39

'ullo world - yet another MO fan in Perth, Western Australia.

Time for some Silly Statistics (TM):

That's nine in total, and 3 from Perth. Does this mean that there are proportionally more MO fans in WA than the eastern states? (i.e. 3 MO fans in 1,500,000 west australians means one in every 500,000; 6 MO fans out of 17,000,000 people in the Eastern states means one in every 2,800,000!)

Further note that the 3 West Australians are all high-school students.

rosko: which school do you go to?

Nine Australians out of 291 registered Tubular Forums members means that we account for roughly 3 percent of MO's fans. Not a significant amount by anyone's standards ...

Actually, scrolling through the list of members reveals another seven of us who can't be bothered posting to this thread.

Even so, I don't think that it's worth having a tour for just 16 people scattered over an entire --ing continent. Actually, _I_ do, but perhaps Mr Oldfield (or the people who are faced with the enormous task of organising such things) doesn't like the idea.
Profile PM WEB 
cp Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2001, 04:42

Whoops - don't mind me, I can't count. I meant 4 people from Perth, i.e. 1 MO fan for every 375,000 people.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2001, 05:20

don't mind me, I can't count

I know that Cameron wink.

Actually, there is/are one/two Perth fans who haven't said anything in this topic. ComaBlack and or ComaWhite, depending whether they're the same person or not. See fans around 17 years old for more.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2001, 05:30

16 people, one flipping large continent. Plus all the Aussies on the Amarok Mailing List (eg, wolf, Tazy, Rob Szucs etc). Hmm, not enough still. There's only one solution. We start converting people by the million. Use GMOVJ's method, or Fox's compilation, or whatever, but we need results. I think I'd better start my bit soon.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Belthazar Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2001, 16:38

Make that 17.... I'm 17 years old, from Sydney... I've been a fan of Mike Oldfield for about three years (before that, I didn't even know he existed!)

--------------
Belthazar
That's Bravo Echo Lima Tango Hotel Alpha Zulu Alpha Romeo

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
ComaBlack Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 15:12

Tim, I did make a comment earlier

ComaBlack Add one more
Perth, WA, 20 years old.

See smile

and no ComaWhite is not me.... smile

Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 17:44

Whoops!

Sorry Coma Black. Put it down to not being bothered reading back through these posts to check properly, just counting them. I think I got caught up in the enthusiasm for a tour.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Dash65 Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2001, 00:32

So there are other MO fans in WA,I've been a fan for a long time,and have most of his music in my collection. Maybe one day we see Mike in concert here.
Profile PM 
91 replies since June 22 2000, 09:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net