Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Aurora< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Mark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 12 2007, 06:53

As part of my job, I'm traveling from Birmingham to Wolverhampton each day, and this morning I was listening to M.O.T.S., and as Aurora played the Metro was zipping along through Wednesbury. The view of the houses with their frost covered roofs was quite beautiful, and the tune reminded me so much of Troika, and the whole thing fitted my mood so perfectly.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 20:16

Listening now to Aurora...becoming a firm favourite of mine. I hadn't heard this track when I read your post back in December, Mark, but now, I can really appreciate how beautiful that journey must have been for you, esp on a train. Fab. It's a wonderful piece, the classical guitar is just, is just, ahhh! And can anyone else hear echoes of Sally Oldfield's 'Mirrors' when the harp starts, ever so slightly? There are hundreds of little references throughout the whole album ofcourse, and I am really enjoying hearing them, all so familiar but with a new life around them.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 17:29

Quote (bee @ Mar. 19 2008, 22:16)
Listening now to Aurora...becoming a firm favourite of mine. I hadn't heard this track when I read your post back in December, Mark, but now, I can really appreciate how beautiful that journey must have been for you, esp on a train. Fab. It's a wonderful piece, the classical guitar is just, is just, ahhh!

Listening to music while inside a train is sooo nice,it was one of my favorite things to do while I was travelling around Europe by train,it's so magical.

Aurora is another of my fav tunes from MOTS,it reminds me of the beginning of Incantations Part 3,but much more beautiful.The classical guitar is one of my favorites ever from Mike,so gorgeous :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 14:51

Aurora is somewhat different from the rest of the pieces.  Almost like a cleansing of the palate at the start of "side 2" on a record.  And I 100% agree that it's very much like "Incantations" in as much as it's an exhilarating piece.  To me it conjures up images of the sea.  It's "nautical" in the same way that "Incantations" is.  They're so much fun, those kinds of pieces.
Profile PM 
emstek1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 14:52

Hello!

Aurora is one of my favorites, too. But the choir sounds the same as on David Bedford´s "Riegel 9". So if you like Aurora, give "The City" on Riegel 9 a try.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2008, 22:21

It is like a sequel to the fanfare of "Incantations Part 3". The main theme is similar too.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2008, 15:09

Is that you Hiawatha? Haven't seen you round here in a while, it's nice to think you are still a part of it the ol' ttubular.net!

I still really love  Aurora, it is a very special little piece of music for me.

And infact, after not hearing the whole album for a few weeks, I listen again and find it utterly beautiful. And it is stronger, and more powerful each time I listen.

:)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2008, 20:17

Funny that everyone links it to Incantations pt. 3, I can see where they're coming from but for me this tune is right out of QE2.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 05:21

I immediatly liked this piece when I first heard the album I must admit.At the same time though it was one of those tracks where I thought that after a while I would maybe become tired of it if you like.Strangely though when I played MOTS at the weekend for the first time in a little while,this track stood out to me like a beacon somehow.I don`t know I think it maybe has a lot more depth and subtle variation than I initialy gave it credit for.Probably because the melody itself is so addictive I suppose.

I`m not really sure what`s going on in this video here? But for some reason I think it fits the music perfectly for me.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 05:38

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 23 2008, 11:21)
I`m not really sure what`s going on in this video here? But for some reason I think it fits the music perfectly for me.

Haha, indeed! That should be the official video!  :D
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2008, 15:42

I'm not sure;
I think Aurora deserve's perhap's something a little grander than nutter's on a raft.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2008, 02:44

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Oct. 23 2008, 21:42)
I'm not sure;
I think Aurora deserve's perhap's something a little grander than nutter's on a raft.

There's a great title for his next album: "Nutters on a Raft".
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2008, 03:27

:laugh: I`m gonna` pre-order it on Amazon now,beat the Christmas rush.

I dare say you`re right BBE Aurora is certainly deserving of something grander than that little cam-corder video thing.There is actualy another video up on youtube which is undoubtably more fitting to the title and concept of the piece,shots of the earth from space,norhtern lights etc.But I know when I watched those two clips together a little while back I just really connected with this one a lot more myself.I mean some of those guys/nutters would appear to be getting flour chucked at them and stuff,but it`s obviously a real fun day out for a lot of people.And Mike`s joyous/celebratory music just really set it off nicely I thought.And I think above all for me it was that aspect of "humanity" if you like rather than landscapes,seascapes and skies...Astral or otherwise.It was nice to hear Mike`s MOTS music being used as a backdrop to some of those Olympic montages for instance,but then we`re not all of us Olympians.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 24 2008, 08:12

Using Aurora next to images of humane, maybe even mundane, event relating to joy and happiness is a great concept, in my opinion. I imagine something edited to look genuine and natural, but without crossing into cheesy or vulgar territory. After all, if the album is about the universe and the cosmos, we are part of the universe and the cosmos as well.

Did that sound a bit like Carl Sagan?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2008, 12:58

A video of my graduation from school will be taped and Aurora would be perfect for that: marching people with caps on their heads, a lot of smiles and optimism, everything happening in time with the music.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2008, 19:55

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 22 2008, 20:17)
Funny that everyone links it to Incantations pt. 3, I can see where they're coming from but for me this tune is right out of QE2.

It reminds me more of Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije suite.

Incidentally, I looked up MotS on Wikipedia, and it says that it's album 2 of a 3 album deal. If this is true, it squashes all those rumours of retirement!
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 16:28

The last minute from where the harp comes in is a disarming moment - in a similar way to "Molly". By that I mean pulls on the heart strings.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 21:43

Quote (bee @ Oct. 22 2008, 15:09)
Is that you Hiawatha? Haven't seen you round here in a while, it's nice to think you are still a part of it the ol' tubular.net!

I have an extremely high opinion of "Music of the Spheres". I think it is my favorite version of "Tubular Bells".

hi Bee! Yes, it looks like I am responding to you TWO YEARS later. Has it really been that long since I've been back here?

I need to check in more

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 21:44

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 22 2008, 20:17)

It's the actual theme that makes me link it to Incantations Fanfare.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2010, 17:23

Quote (hiawatha @ Sep. 25 2010, 21:43)
Quote (bee @ Oct. 22 2008, 15:09)
Is that you Hiawatha? Haven't seen you round here in a while, it's nice to think you are still a part of it the ol' tubular.net!

I have an extremely high opinion of "Music of the Spheres". I think it is my favorite version of "Tubular Bells".

hi Bee! Yes, it looks like I am responding to you TWO YEARS later. Has it really been that long since I've been back here?

I need to check in more

...time is irrelevant...the music matters most ( & people too ofcourse )...great to hear from you Hiawatha...I still have very fond memories of your Hyabusa poem :)

hoping all well with you

bee

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
29 replies since Dec. 12 2007, 06:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net