Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Audio Problems With Demos Disc, Issues with the 'long' version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Froggy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 21 2009, 08:26

I recently received my copy of the deluxe edition from Amazon UK and discovered, much to my disappointment, a significant glitch in the first track of the demos CD. From between about 9:33 and 9:55 large portions of the right channel are completely absent and when the signal is present it drops out intermittently. I've taken a screenshot of the relevant section to illustrate, which can be viewed here (obviously the issue is present both playing the CD and in digital format). Naturally, I will be contacting Amazon to arrange for a another copy but before I do so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar problems in case there is a chance the replacement is also faulty. Thanks.
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 09:02

You should know that Mike Oldfield put the demo on cd EXACTLY as he found it, without, thankfully, any correction or editing.
What you hear is a homemade tape from 38 years ago, and I think it sounds even better than what one could expect... ;)

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 11:58

For a kid who flip-flopped overdubs on 2 cassette decks, that demo sounded awefully cool to me!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 13:24

Dudes, I don't think Froggy was intending any disparagement of the piece or the circumstances with which it was created.  It sounds like a question about a possible defect on the product itself.  And there ain't nothin' wrong with that.

For what it's worth, Froggy, a quick look back at the same piece, as it appeared on the TB2003 DVD, reveals the exact same dropouts.  It looks like that's as complete as the demo will ever be.

Save your call to Amazon... it would only cause them to scratch their heads in bewilderment.   :laugh:

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 21 2009, 13:50

I should say, the drop-outs did catch me by surprise too, but I was more worried that my speakers were starting to fail. :) Quickly enough I realised the problem was in the source, but I'm not surprised that other people thought it was a problem in their CD. Bassman is spot on there, and while I don't think the folks were criticising Froggy for his complaint, the most important thing is to leave him confident that everything is in order. :)

(personally, I was far, far more freaked out by the horrid, sudden endings on both the early demo and on the '72 rough mix. Eek!! I'm permanently scarred by that)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 17:15

I agree with everyone else here in saying that the demo is actually recorded like that. I remember listening to it for the first time on the TB 2003 DVD-A and checking the connections on the front-left and rear-left speakers in my 5.1 setup. No, nothing was wrong in the connections. Nothing is wrong on the DVD-A, and nothing is wrong on the CD. Something got wrong in the original recording. :D Indeed, the DVD-A's booklet says: "These demos are exactly as they were and have not been remastered or edited in any way. They have no titles and are the same as they were in 1971, hence the dropouts & weird noises" :p - the emphasis is obviously mine. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Froggy Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 20:34

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 21 2009, 13:50)
I should say, the drop-outs did catch me by surprise too, but I was more worried that my speakers were starting to fail. :) Quickly enough I realised the problem was in the source, but I'm not surprised that other people thought it was a problem in their CD.

Both thoughts had occured to me as well, although obviously I was able to dismiss the first quite quickly, while the second I didn't consider too seriously, as I imagined that on such an otherwise polished product, such issues would be edited out in some manner. Therefore, quite naturally, I assume the product was at fault, rather than the source material. But I'm glad I consulted the experts first before wasting my time with Amazon and am obviously relieved the drop-outs aren't just restricted to my copy.
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: July 22 2009, 04:02

Well, I'm starting to sort of 'like' those dropouts...I've been doing demos of my music since I was 15, so I've experienced A LOT of dropouts in my cassettes...when I hear Mike's I have instantly before my eyes the image of him in his room recording his ideas, and that allows me to appreciate the Demos even more ;)

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 06 2014, 06:27

Yes, I am glad that Mike released the demo's exactly as they were recorded, remastering or re-mixing in any way would have been changing history in my view, these should be viewed as historic recordings because they are unique and can not be repeated.
Profile PM 
8 replies since July 21 2009, 08:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net