Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: At Your Funeral..., (What song played?)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 30 2008, 13:13

Thats easy...I want to annoy my fucked-up family for the last time, so I will force them to listen to MO´s Light & Shade - BOTH ALBUMS!   :D
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2008, 13:53

There ya go!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 05:21

"Here in Heaven" - Sparks  -- Hopefully !! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 14:17

Now I think about it, maybe "Bat out of hell" by Meat Loaf is more suitable for me..

*Like a bat out of hell I´ll be gone when the morning comes*  
;)
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 14:38

If i wanted to annoy epople at my funeral i'd play Heavens Open.Well obviously i wouldn't be able to personally play it.....may be a touch difficult. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Gladstoner Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 15:04

If I wanted to annoy the attendees, I would have them use the same crap drivel that is usually played at funerals (or at least the ones I've sat through; maybe it's just a midwest-America thing). I'm talking about the recorded, very poorly performed hymns -- the ones where you can picture the beehives, mullets, and powder-blue outfits of the singers. More than once (as an adolescent, of course), I've had to bite my sleeve to keep from cracking up.

--------------
You don't find great music. It finds you.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 15:09

I think it may be at least a USA thing if not a mid-west thing (not being from America though i'm not sure i'd know the difference).With that vision in mind i think i'd probably be throwing up rather than cracking up Gladstoner mate!!! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 01 2008, 14:04

Several years ago a work colleague died, and they played "Spirit in the Sky" at her funeral. Another colleague, who seldom goes to funerals because she just gets too creeped out, went to that one anyway. Well....my living colleague took over the job that the dead one had, and the first time she got into the work car used by our departed one, "Spirit in the Sky" was playing on the radio.  She was so creeped out that she drove her own car for work events!

A few months ago I attended a grave-side funeral for a colleague's mother. I was standing next to a long marker that  would eventually encompass three graves. "The Wheel in the Sky Keeps on Turning" was engraved on it as were stars, along with pictures of all three people. It was really quite lovely as those things go.  The guy was in the middle, and to his right was his wife and to the left was his soul mate. The women were still living, and his "soul mate" would be in her 40's. I just couldn't get it and trying to figure it out was very distracting from the funeral at hand!

Anyway....all these things have led me to think that I want a grave-side service because it is more natural, particularly as an earth-based person.  When the kids and I were in Kington in '05, the pet shop was highlighting earth-friendly caskets (people caskets)--they looked like baskets. Hmm...a basket casket? Hehehe.  I thought it would be nice to have one of those. So....short service, and it will be ecumenical, with Christian, Earth-Based, and Unitarian traditions represented, in that the living will need solace more than I.  Maybe someone could chant "Ancient Mother" and sing "Lady of the Flowing Waters" because I love those. Perhaps some drumming. Oldfield? Hmm....not sure what I would use. But after the funeral, the living can have a reception and everyone can party. Beer and cheese and the playing of the complete Incantations, Tubular Bells, and Ommadawn.  Not that I am planning on crossing over anytime soon (or becoming the Chocolate Ghost) but  hopefully someone will notify my co-admins....60 years from now when it happens. :D  Wow--tubular.net @ its 70th year. <shudders>

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 02 2008, 00:12

Only Time Will Tell. Seems sort of fitting (and it's my favourite). I could probably think up an excuse to make it make sense for the ceremony. lol

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2008, 04:25

I can't believe I forgot 'What You Want' by the John Butler Trio. It's probably my favourite song from my home country of Australia.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2008, 05:52

Quote (Bassman @ Oct. 29 2008, 18:00)
The idea being that the lyrical or melodic content would provide the mourners with your last "message" so to speak... the last words you would want to leave them with.

I tried and couldn't find a song with the words "your next" in it.  Anyone know of one??? :D  :D

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 03 2008, 11:21

Quote (Ray @ Nov. 02 2008, 05:52)
I tried and couldn't find a song with the words "your next" in it.  Anyone know of one??? :D  :D

"I'm free! I'm free!
And freedom tastes of reality.
I'm free! I'm free!
And I'm waiting for YOU TO FOLLOW ME!!"

(from Tommy, by the Who)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2008, 09:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XndpvVRXxeY

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2008, 06:18

Quote (Gladstoner @ Oct. 28 2008, 03:44)
Ray Lynch -- 'The Vanished Gardens of Cordoba'.

Lost for words. I am so pleased I clicked that link. This is some of the finest instrumental music I have heard for a very long time. Thank you.

One of my choices: Wavestar - Moonwind Available for 7 days only as I can't seem to get a direct link on Last FM.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Gladstoner Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2008, 03:06

If you really want to mess with their heads, have them pop in 'The Killing Fields' and play 'Worksite', 'The Year Zero', 'Blood Sucking', 'The Year Zero 2', and 'Pran's Escape/The Killing Fields' back to back. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Gladstoner Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2008, 22:34

Quote (Baggiesfaninessex @ Nov. 08 2008, 05:18)
Quote (Gladstoner @ Oct. 28 2008, 03:44)
Ray Lynch -- 'The Vanished Gardens of Cordoba'.

Lost for words. I am so pleased I clicked that link. This is some of the finest instrumental music I have heard for a very long time. Thank you.

Yes, Ray Lynch's music needs more exposure.

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2008, 19:50

forgotten how to add video links, sorry

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 17 2008, 22:53

maybe this dark melody..
but only the piano bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZIrmRfSSTA&feature=related

really dark and beautiful.....

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 00:23

I like dark music. Dark, foreboding, bleak, scary. I remember when I was.....whatever age I was when I bought Renaissance Novella, I put on "Can You Hear Me" for a 16yo freind. The intro scared the hell out of him. To me that's funny, happy, grinning stuff......cheery, Santa Claus is coming to town stuff.....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2008, 02:44

Saw this clip over the weekend and thought it might be appropriate for this thread.The relevant bit is about four minutes in I think...Soul 2 Soul heh heh!
Profile PM 
48 replies since Oct. 24 2008, 10:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net