Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Arthur C. Clarke dies, aged 90< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 20:43

The science fiction writer and technological visionary Arthur C. Clarke has died at his home in Sri Lanka, aged 90.

The influence of his legendary novels and short stories can be seen in many of Mike Oldfield's works, not least 1994's The Songs of Distant Earth, inspired by Clarke's novel of the same name.

His death comes as a sad loss to the worlds of literature, science and technology, but his legacy will live on through his work for many years to come.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 20:52

I think I've read more of Arthur C Clarke than I have any other author. To be writing about missions to Mars and interstellar rescues in the 1940s and 50s is simply extraordinary. The field of science fiction owes him an enormous debt.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 21:16

May you be with the stars, Arthur C. Clarke! You gave us such great gifts, and were an unique person. I love your books! Your loss is most tragic.

Mike: my deepest sympathy.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 00:25

There was a life well-lived! Amazing how fast 90 years comes and goes. Arthur C. Clarke inspired not only Mike's TSODE, but Genesis' "Watcher of the Skies" (Childhood's End). I, too, have read more of his works than any other science fiction author.  Indeed, here's to wondrous journeys through the heavens.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 02:37

R.I.P. Arthur C. Clarke.

That's all that I can say. I heard about many of his works like 2001, Rendezvous With Rama and of course TSODE, but it's just too bad I haven't gotten round to read any of those yet.

Edit: His 90th birthday reflections - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLXQ7rNgWwg

I guess I'll be playing TSODE on my WMP today as a tribute to him. That's the least I could do.

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 03:41

sad news, really.
He was an incredible writer.
Rama's series of books are magic and, of course, also TSODE.

all my sympathy to his family and friends.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 05:05

That was a good innings Mr Clarke.  And a worthwhile contribution to the world.  Cheers and thanks for all the fish!

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 05:49

Here's to you, Mr Clarke:

Let There Be Light
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 07:57

Lucky bastard   ;)
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 10:17

I've listened to the entirety of The Songs of Distant Earth (the album) in his honour today.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 15:37

Last year I read the Quadrilogy of book's that make up the epic Odyssey saga, also I read again The Songs of Distant Earth. They are all top notch read's. Arthur C Clarke had a gift for sci fi imagery almost beyond compare and a knack of leading the reader by the hand through his stories, that made you feel that you were not being bamboozled with technobabble, it was sci fi with a very human touch.
2001 A Space Odyssey is one of my favourite film's ever, so much so I class it as much a costume drama as well as the scientechno spactacular that it undoubtably is

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 16:35

sorry but i find it hard to show any sentiment to this man.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Modeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:39

It's sad when any one person dies, but he lived to 90 and left a legacy that will live on for generations - maybe even until the end of humanity.

None of us could ask for more than that.

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Man, they don't write songs like that any more...
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:55

Ratty, I don't understand your comment.  Did you mean you simply don't care for his work?  Or is it something else?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 07:46

Quote (Ratty @ Mar. 20 2008, 22:35)
sorry but i find it hard to show any sentiment to this man.

EXCUSE me?

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 14:41

Well I`m guessing Ratty is refering to some allegations made by The Sunday Mirror about ten years ago now.Without wishing to go into details here the accusations were later proved to be unfounded and the newspaper subsequently published a complete retraction of the story.Obviously for some people though I guess that`s not good enough.Well everybody`s entitled to their opinion of course.But in a thread that was quite obviously started as a tribute to the man.I rather think that opinion could have been voiced elsewhere.

One thing I always liked about Arthur was his dry sense of humour....As featured on Sky One's "50 Terrible Predictions" programme, Clarke once predicted that apes would function as household servants by the 1960's; "...with our present knowledge of animal psychology, we can certainly solve the servant problem with the help of the monkey kingdom" he said, but quipped "..of course, eventually, our super chimpanzees would start forming trade unions and we'd be right back where we started."
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 13:49

(Is that where Pierre Boulle got the idea for "Monkey Planet"?  Or was it the other way around?)

Since the announcement of ACC's passing I've been hunting around the house for my "Childhood's End" and I can't find it.  It's a beautiful old hardcover edition!  Argh!  I know I've said that the book affects me in a dark way, but I LOVE IT.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 05:52

I hope you will find it Bassman! Good luck!

I will remember that one if I'm going to buy some other books. But there's still plenty for me to read of ACC. 2001 and TSODE are still my favourites, but I lately read one called Imperial Earth. Completely different to what I've read of him so far.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
17 replies since Mar. 18 2008, 20:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net