Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Art In Heaven DVD - May 21< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 23 2001, 20:51

The idea of region coding was that of the big hollywood film studios.
They tend to release films in the US before they release them in the rest of the world, with them sometimes coming out on video in the US even before they're being shown in cinemas in europe and elsewhere. Their fear with DVD (without any region coding), was that anyone in the world would be able to play the US releases of their films, so they'd have less cinema visitors, etc. Pre-recorded films are often cheaper in the US than they are in some places (particularly the UK...).
I believe they threatened that, if region coding wasn't introduced, they would not release their films on the format (which would no doubt have been a huge blow to DVD's popularity).

For a similar reason, we now see special 'UK' releases of albums with extra tracks. This is because people in the UK started to discover that the album you could buy abroad, for a much lower price, was in fact exactly the same as what you could buy in the UK...In order to get album buyers to continue paying rip-off prices, they created the UK editions of albums with tracks that aren't on the cheaper one available abroad...

Just shows you what the industry is like really...
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 24 2001, 15:09

What you describe makes a certain sort of sense for films made and distributed in the US first.

However, what about these films made elsewhere first and only much later sent to the US, if at all?

Some of the examples I can think of do NOT involve keeping DVDs out of markets where the film is still on screens (where box office receipts can suffer). They involve films/etc that cannot be seen anywhere in any form in the country, short of obtaining an illegal copy.

I've wanted to see Gormenghast for quite some time, but it is encrypted so Region 1 cannot view it. My only option to view it is to pay one of the many pirates selling it as a VHS copy online. I guess the film company would rather that I paid a pirate than pay the film company.

Then there is the oddity of a US domestic label, Warner, making it hard for Americans to get Warner's own Oldfield albums.
TubularUSA Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 07 2001, 22:11

I've heard conflicting info from various sources about the Art in Heaven DVD. One source says it will be available to all regions. Yet, the only version that you can find listed at the major retailers is the PAL European version.

Another source says that Warner is currently working towards a U.S. distributor for the DVD release there. So far I have not seen a shread of evidence yet. Furthormore, people do not wait for an extended period of time for this to happen.

I would give my left arm to hear the definitive answer from Mike Oldfield himself, or a "reliable" source at the studio. Why doesn't the folks at Mike Oldfield's official web site know for sure? Someone should know.

I can certainly understand everyones concern and disappointment over the handling of this DVD thus far.
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: May 10 2001, 20:36

Does anyone know if there will be a bidg difference between the UK and the Germany version (language during making of video)? Was there a difference on the TBII/TBIII DVD's?
Profile PM 
marhi Offline

Posted: May 26 2001, 08:37

I've got the DVD today
I'm very happy and it's great!
Profile PM 
marhi Offline

Posted: May 28 2001, 15:31

Hello everyone,

Here some information about the DVD!
Songs are:

Classical Songs:
1. Tubular Bells
2. Portsmouth
3. Moonlight Shadow
4. Secrets
5. Shodows on the Wall

The Millennium Bell:
1. Sunlight
2. The Doges Places
3. Mastermind
4. Broad
5. Liberation
6. Amber Light
7. The Millennium Bell

Art in Heaven (Berlin 2000) (with English text)

and a nice interview with Mike in his house! (In English)

The sound is Dolby Digital and Linear PCM

The subtitle (text) is aviable in the interview and in the Making Of in English, German, Spanish, French, Italian and Polish

Region Code: 2/3/4/5/6

But I coudn't find something like Multiple Viewing Angles :-(
The Art in Heaven - video is very beautiful but it's mixed very much! (difficult to explain with my bad English ;-)
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 16 2001, 02:06

Why do the news items on this page say that it's a region 2/3/4/5/6? The version available for order is region 2 only according to amazon. Is a multi-region version coming out later? And where did you get the info about it being multi-region?
Profile PM 
marhi Offline

Posted: June 16 2001, 10:12

hello rosko,

I've bought the DVD here in Germany.
The info is from the cover (or inley?).

I don't know, are there different versions? I've one of the first, I think!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 16 2001, 13:50

That is what it says on the cover...of course, I only have a region 2 DVD player so I can't tell if they're lying or not, but I think we can believe them... wink

I have been wondering about whether a special UK version will appear, with bonus material...it would at least give some excuse for the delay if there was one going to appear.
Some kind of cynicism at record companies told me that there wouldn't be one, however and the delay is just the usual fooling around with release dates that goes on sometimes. I bought my copy from germany, the whole thing is in english - not a word in german or any other language anywhere on the packaging (aside from the small german classification certificate thing, which appears on the TB2/3 DVD I bought in the UK...there are multi lingual subtitles available, of course). It is, in other words, exactly the same as might be released in the UK - just it hasn't been.
If anyone wants help/advice about ordering from amazon.de, get in touch...

There was also an NTSC version released in Japan. It seems that has been withdrawn, due to problems with picture/audio sync (incidentally, there have been complaints about bad sync on the european one - I haven't noticed anything major, just maybe a few milliseconds, but nothing to cause me to complain).

And then there's the thing of the region 1 release...
Profile PM 
Erwin Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2001, 06:27

I got the concert on DVD this week (region 2, but ofcourse my player is region free...)
I must say, @first I was a bit dissappointed, coz I don't think that the millenium bell is Mike's best work, and the song that I like the most (Pacha Mama) isn't in the concert. And I just don't think a woman should sing "Shadow on the Wall". But the more I listen to it..the more I love it. I have a pretty damn nice 5.1 DD/DTS surround set and this dvd sounds pretty damn ok. The sound is better than the Tubular Bells II/III concert DVD.And watch the "ART IN HEAVEN" part..coz that rockz!!!

Greetz,

Erwin
Profile PM 
29 replies since April 10 2001, 18:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net