Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Argiers, It sounds so simple but i can't get it< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 16:37

I know this is probably the simplest tune in the world but i cannot get the chord pattern for the above.I know the first chord is an open Am then it moves up a tone but what happens next?Also the bit where the mando echo's the pipe phrase.What chords are they?There's a couple of guitars playing capo'd inversions but i can't quite get the one in standard tuning.If i can get that i can figure out the other bits cos i'm fairly handy with using a capo.
 I've tried for years and it's beginning to annoy the hell out of me so i hope soemone can tell me the chords cos i'm buggered if i know.Yes buggered if i know and i already asked greengrocers,distinguished professors and recently revived members of the public and none of them can help. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 16:38

BTW i should say the acoustic guitar part.The lowest one specifically.

--------------
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2009, 22:01

You know, I'm going to work this one out once and for all.  It's bugged me for years, too!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2009, 03:41

When you do let me know!It's a haunting tune and i've wanted to be able to play it for the 20 odd years since i first heard it.PM me when you get it! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2009, 14:08

Will do!  I like a musical challenge.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 00:51

I cant work out what the other chord progressions either. Can play parts ok but then a chord is higher or lower and I end up stopping to re tune the guitar. I reckon Mike must have sampled a few acoustics and done an overdub or two! Do love the music. Maybe admin can get us a Tab. May we have a Tab...please! Deb
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 09:57

'Sampled' - in the '70's?  I know what you mean, but I reckon it's just a weird tuning.  Don't panic - I'll work it out. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 16:08

you have to use a capo on the 5th fret - try that and you'll get it.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 18:24

Will try that! When I said Mike may have sampled the acoustic, I meant he must have used a few acoustics tuned precisely, played each piece then sampled them when doing the final mix with a few overdubs! He was ahead of his time with his studio technique! The wizard of guitar! Deb
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 20:25

Right, Deb!  Capo on the fifth fret, eh?  I was going to work it out without that - but...mmm...I'll do both! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2009, 23:50

Give those frets a good thrashing Simon! ( Hiccup, Burp) cooking the Christmas Cake and had a wee dram of sherry LOL! Deck the halls with boughs of holly..tra la la la.....Tis the season to be jolly! Oh and a capo on the 5th Fret! Deb
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2009, 06:27

its a cracking tune I agree - very Christmassy, anyway i tried this morning and I'm sure it is indeed the "capo on the 5th fret", I've got it all sounding good apart from one bit.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 04:35

Sussed the first bit.Am then move the shape up 2 then an Amaj at the 5th then back down 2.Still stuck on the second part.Almost got it though.There's a g an F and a Dmin.One to work out over xmas i think.Got the melody though.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2009, 08:37

Giving it some thought there are two acoustics playing.The chord progression i outlined above and capo'd at 5th.Therefore the capo'd part must the same shapes but down a sting.I'll give it a go later.My neighbours are gonna hate the tune by the time i've learnt it properly!Made some inroads then.
 Regarding an altered tuning i know from watching the Making Of Ommadawn he used a dropped D tuning.Could be DADGAD but at the very least he's dropped the E to D.Not sure if Argiers uses this though.Pretty sure it's in standard.

--------------
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2009, 09:22

I had a nightmare about trying to perform this tune, and getting it all wrong!  Think I'll leave it until after Xmas.  I've got a new digital piano to play with, anyway.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2009, 12:40

I made an attempt at it - see here
Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2011, 13:32

Ah! My favourite single track of Mike's and since very few people saw Mike or Les Penning at Penrhos Court,playing this fireside glory, we simply have to applaud the pair of them.

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
16 replies since Oct. 31 2008, 16:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net