Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Are there any Philip Glass fans amongst us?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 892 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 14 2010, 19:15

Just heard a couple o' Glass jokes:

What was the hardest thing to determine in the vinyl era?
Whether a Brian Eno LP was warped or whether a Philip Glass LP was skipping.

"There's one piece by Philip Glass that I really like."
"Oh, really? Which one?"
"Any one."

A friend of mine gave me a Philip Glass record. I listened to it for five hours before I realized it had a scratch on it.

And finally:

Who's there ?
Knock Knock ?
Who's there ?
Knock Knock ?
Who's there ?
Knock Knock ?
Who's there ?
Philip Glass.

:laugh:
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2010, 21:47

Oh, yeah, haven't heard from you in a while, Drealm. You ever give Philip a second chance?
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 11:49

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 14 2010, 21:47)
Oh, yeah, haven't heard from you in a while, Drealm. You ever give Philip a second chance?

I've listened to the last part of Einstein like I said (this is Knee 5 right ?).

It was better than I tough.

If it was part of an album I like, it would have sense. But knowing the other songs from the album, this song is just better, but not enough for me to give another listen to the whole album.

So this is it!

I must say to conclude that this artist is one of the very rare that I really like some works, and really dislike others. So if I have to like something new from him, I will just let it come into my life like it happened for his works that I already enjoy; I will not search for it. Normally when I am due to enjoy an artist, his work comes into my life by itself.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2010, 15:04

Yeah, Knee 5 is the right track. Glad you liked it, pity you don't like the rest of Einstein. Oh well, everyone has their own taste.
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: April 05 2010, 04:43

I am a composer too. In my teen jears I was very much into this minimalism. I bought every new record by Reich, Glass, Adams etc that was released. It was a really radical new way of listening to music. For me it was more radical that 12tone serialism or avantgarde. Now- the most of these (exept Reich) composers are in a "post reomantic repetitiv" style, which I did not like very much. I understand that they want to develop there harmonic vocabulary. But it does not work really. A good minimal repetitive piece is like a good pop song. A complicated harmony makes it all difficult and boring....
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 15 2010, 15:08

I like this collaboration - Glass and Bowie - Heroes.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 30 2010, 18:15

This is the hottest VIOLIN sound in the land - Violin Concerto :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 30 2010, 21:25

Quote (wiga @ April 30 2010, 18:15)
This is the hottest VIOLIN sound in the land - Violin Concerto :cool:

The music is a bit depressing for me... a bit like Shostakovitch with obsessive-compulsive disorder!  :D
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: April 30 2010, 21:35

Yikes! Looked at that on my work computer. No idea what I was getting in to :O
Profile PM 
Dave_Block Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 22:16

Hi all!
When 'Airborn' came out in 1980 I was curious enough to visit my local record store (remember those?) and find a copy of 'North Star'. I loved everything Mike had done to that point and figured if he was inspired by this Glass fellow, maybe I should give the original a listen. Holy ****! What a load of nonsense. I wanted my money back. How could Mike possibly be inspired by that?
That was pretty much the end of my Philip Glass interest until 1983 when a music critic compared the 'Koyaanisqatsi' soundtrack favourably with Oldfield's style of music. I took a chance (that damned curiosity again) and fell head-over-heels in love with this one. To date I have 40+ CDs of his stuff, not including others performing his work.
Glass is actually a very diverse composer but he's not to everyone's taste. Much of his music was/is commissioned by various organizations, everyone from the Twyla Tharp Dance Studio (sorry Twyla, not my cup of tea) to the Stuttgart Symphony Orchestra. His style of music changes as the situation dictates. More than one reviewer has accused poor Mike of rewriting 'TB' yet one more time with each new release. To the uninitiated that may very well seem true (but we know better). The 'minimalist' style label doesn't sit well with Glass personally, nor should it. Yes, some of his compositions drive me absolutely CRAZY, i.e. 1234, but that's what the sponsor wanted.
I don't like all of Glass's compositions any more than I like all of Mike's (gasp, blasphemy!;). I just got the deluxe 2010 edition of 'Ommadawn'. His remix is great (subtle but noticeable) and the 'lost' demo is becoming a favourite except for the "I say, I say, I say" bit. What the heck is up with that?
Anyone still curious about Glass should perhaps try '1000 Airplanes on the Roof'. Not ALL the tracks are fantastic but there's some good stuff on it.
Cheers, Dave
Profile PM 
Ridge Van Hergest Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2010, 09:38

I'm no Philip Glass connoisseur, but there used to be a wonderful Internet radio station called "Minimalism Radio" that played many of his works and I really liked what I heard. They also played music by Steve Reich, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, and others -- very interesting stuff.

Alas, Minimalim Radio is no more. But, who knows, it might come back some day by popular demand.

--------------
Check out my record collection! (click "Homepage" button)
Profile PM WEB 
spark Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2010, 06:12

I saw Phillip Glass at the Barbican in London a few years back, he was playing a live soundtrack to Koryanaquatsi (bad spelling) and it was quite amazing .
My favorite album is Glass Works .
I think Mike owes him a lot . TB was a breakthrough record of its time and still sounds fresh but once I found Phillip Glass  I could see were Mike got some insperation . And I think his thank you was his cover of North Star on Platinum .

Also check out Steve Reich , long time coleague of Glass .
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 16 2010, 06:55

Quote (Dave_Block @ June 26 2010, 04:16)
Hi all!
When 'Airborn' came out in 1980 I was curious enough to visit my local record store (remember those?) and find a copy of 'North Star'. I loved everything Mike had done to that point and figured if he was inspired by this Glass fellow, maybe I should give the original a listen. Holy ****! What a load of nonsense. I wanted my money back. How could Mike possibly be inspired by that?

I have a feeling that it´s got something to do with Philip Glass´engineer, Kurt Munkacsi. Kurt has also engineered parts of Airborn that were recorded at Blue Rock and Electric Lady in the USA. He was also invited by Mike to support his European Tour in 1979. You can see him on the Exposed video at the beginning, saying "You just have to come over and set the balances ...".

So it might be through him that Mike got introduced to Philip Glass´ music. But maybe Dave will know more about that.

;)

Edited by manintherain on Aug. 16 2010, 06:56
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2010, 08:52

OMG the qatsi film (don't remember which one), is in my opninion the worst movie ever made. Just awfully terrible!!

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 09:23

I was walking round an art gallery last weekend, (David Hockney in Shipley) and they were playing  Heroes - quite loudly. Gave the place a REAL atmosphere. His paintings are displayed in this old Victorian woollen mill, and have been for some years but to be honest it was the music that made me want to stick around.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 09:55

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 25 2010, 09:23)
I was walking round an art gallery last weekend, (David Hockney in Shipley) and they were playing  Heroes - quite loudly. Gave the place a REAL atmosphere. His paintings are displayed in this old Victorian woollen mill, and have been for some years but to be honest it was the music that made me want to stick around.

As a grammatical pedant, I always have to grit my teeth when I hear "Heroes" (a song I dislike anyway). The lines "I wish you could swim/Like dolphins can swim" make the very common mistake of using "like" as though it were a conjunction. (Notice I didn't say "like it was a conjunction"!;) Not good, for someone of Bowie's literary pretensions.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 10:00

Nightspore - you may enjoy Philip Glass "Heroes." It doesn't sound anything like Bowie's, "Heroes" - although there is supposed to be a connection. I don't hear it myself though. Have a listen to my link.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 10:11

Wiga concerts last week ,Art Gallery's the next you are putting us all to shame :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 10:17

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 25 2010, 15:11)
Wiga concerts last week ,Art Gallery's the next you are putting us all to shame :D

:D Am I?

Good night Aussies.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2010, 20:51

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 25 2010, 10:00)
Nightspore - you may enjoy Philip Glass "Heroes." It doesn't sound anything like Bowie's, "Heroes" - although there is supposed to be a connection. I don't hear it myself though. Have a listen to my link.

Thanks Wiga - I don't hear any similarity either. And I liked the piece too. All those swirling strings reminded me of the Prelude to Wagner's Das Rheingold (which Herzog used very effectively in his film Nosferatu the Vampyre).
Profile PM 
42 replies since Mar. 08 2010, 11:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net