Never listened to him 2  [11.76%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Are there any Philip Glass fans amongst us?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 892 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 11:21

Joking around with Fragile on the Music of the Spheres thread has made me wonder - how many of us amongst Mike's fans are also Philip Glass fans? I know Mike himself is. Personally, I love everything I've heard, but I've not heard his most recent works yet.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 16:42

I haven't heard a lot of Philip Glass music but I own and love Einstein on the Beach, North Star and the soundtrack to Candyman. So much music, so little time...I saw a documentary on Philip Glass a few years ago and I got the impression there aren't any shockers in his discography.
I normallt dislike classical music but Philip Glass has this very unsentimental quality which I enjoy.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 20:17

There are some music by Phillip Glass that I really like, but I don't know all his music, so I can't say if I love everything or not. But here are the music I know and enjoy from him:

The 3 soundtracks from the Qatsi Trilogy: all 3 films have great music, especially the last one, Naqoyqatsi. If I had to suggest a specific work, I would recommend this one.

The film "The Truman Show" feature some songs from Phillip Glass on the soundtrack. These are the first songs that I loved from him, and I still think that they are the best thing I heard from him. On the dvd interviews, the director of the movie said that he took his favorites pieces from Phillip Glass and put them in his movie.

There's also a song from the movie Candyman, probably the main theme, that I enjoy too.

But beside that, I don't know anything. So if anyone have a good suggestion of what I could listen next, please do so, as I am very open to other music from Phillip Glass.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 20:26

Quote (Drealm @ Mar. 08 2010, 20:17)
But beside that, I don't know anything. So if anyone have a good suggestion of what I could listen next, please do so, as I am very open to other music from Phillip Glass.

I would say Glassworks, 'cause it's not quite as repetitive as my favorite piece of his, Einstein on the Beach, but it's still a good representation of his early work IMHO. Plus it just sounds good. If you like that, branch out into Einstein and maybe Music with Changing Parts. Also, there's an excellent CD of his solo piano compositions called, appropriately enough, Solo Piano. And if you like all of this, check out Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians. Happy listening!
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2010, 20:47

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 08 2010, 20:26)
Quote (Drealm @ Mar. 08 2010, 20:17)

I would say Glassworks, 'cause it's not quite as repetitive as my favorite piece of his, Einstein on the Beach, but it's still a good representation of his early work IMHO. Plus it just sounds good. If you like that, branch out into Einstein and maybe Music with Changing Parts. Also, there's an excellent CD of his solo piano compositions called, appropriately enough, Solo Piano. And if you like all of this, check out Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians. Happy listening!

Thanks a lot, I will give these albums a listen in the near future so I let you know if I liked them.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 03:05

Quote (Drealm @ Mar. 09 2010, 01:17)
There are some music by Phillip Glass that I really like, but I don't know all his music, so I can't say if I love everything or not. But here are the music I know and enjoy from him:

The 3 soundtracks from the Qatsi Trilogy: all 3 films have great music, especially the last one, Naqoyqatsi. If I had to suggest a specific work, I would recommend this one.

I am a bit like you when it comes to Glass.

I was introduced to his music via Koyaanisqatsi. The film itself is amazing, but his music really captivates the mood & general theme throughout. The same can be said for the two follow up Qatsi films. But other than that I haven't really dedicated much time to his music.

But based on the opinions on here so far, I will certainly give Glassworks and/or Einstein... a listen :)
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 13:13

@ Drealm: I'd like to make one more suggestion. If you decide to get Einstein on the Beach, Do NOT get the one with Philip Glass's portrait on the cover, it's not near as good as this one. Even though this one's a little more expensive, it is by far superior to the one with Philip's portrait. I think you can get it for less on iTunes.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 14:06

I had a P. Glass album circa 1986. I knew a Dr. of music, Rupert was is name no less, let me have the key to the university studio(I was in his class). I could go in at 2AM drunk with a freind on a whim(we did, and recorded a song) using the multitack tape decks and (mostly YAMAHA DX-7) a big deal synth at the time. I loaned Dr. Rupert this P. Glass album for his scrutiny. I don't remember the name of the LP, but it boasted lyrics from Paul Simon and Pete Townsend. The lyrics were not much. "There is a hum in the air. An electrical hum in the air. It went Hmmmmmm" Wow, big deal. What lyrics. He returned the LP and said the cover with P. Glass on it, he looked like he needed Maalox! That's an antacid kids by the way. Funny times........Don't know where I lost that album. It was labeled as "20th century classical". I thought it was junk.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 23:35

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 09 2010, 13:13)
@ Drealm: I'd like to make one more suggestion. If you decide to get Einstein on the Beach, Do NOT get the one with Philip Glass's portrait on the cover, it's not near as good as this one. Even though this one's a little more expensive, it is by far superior to the one with Philip's portrait. I think you can get it for less on iTunes.

Ho thanks...I was going to get the wrong! So now I will get the good one...
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 15:08

123 123 123 123 123 123 123 123 123 123 123 123
1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234
12345 12345 12345 12345 12345 12345 12345 12345

name that tune!?
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 16:41

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 17:55

So, I listened to the albums you recommended me Syd B.

I'll be totally frank here: how this composer can be considered great by doing so much repetition in his music? I NEVER saw that much repetition; it's like if he based his career on few riffs that he overuse again and again. How could this even be possible? Same riffs not only in half of the songs of an album, but even repeating this same riff in other albums as well! He's the least inspired composer I ever listened to! But guess what? When I listen to the songs from him included on The Truman Show soundtrack, I think in myself "what a great inspiration this guy have, it's unbelievable". And now I end up saying that he's the most uninspired composer ever. So I can only conclude that he can have some really great inspiration, but only on some occasions.

Imagine tubular Bell part 1 continuing the introduction riff for the whole 25 minutes with only few changes. Imagine Ommadawn part 2 continuing the same riff (of the beginning of part 2) the whole part. Imagine The Lake continuing all the way with the beginning riff.

The music of Phillip Glass have only one color. No imagination, just plain repetitive music. I really wonder how a great "cassical" music lover could try to explain me the "genius" behind this music. The guy next door could do a 20 minute same-riff song with his guitar and nobody would care about him. But somehow Philip Glass could get away with this. Quite a remarkable achievement is that.

So to conclude, I don't like anything beside what I already know from Philip Glass. So my discovery of his music ends here. I will stick with the only music I enjoy from him: quatsi trilogy, Truman show soundtrack and the Candyman theme.

So, having said that, I wonder how can you really enjoy the albums you recommended me Syd B? You really listen to the whole albums? you do not even skip songs? I'm totally clueless.

When I think that some people complain about Mike re-using the Tubular Bells theme...if they only knew...

PS: don't take this post as an attack. I'm just too staggered to be objective.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 20:10

@Drealm: You really listened to all of that in one day? You listened to Glassworks, Einstein and Music with Changing Parts in one sitting? Wow. I understand if you don't like it, but yes, I do truly enjoy Philip's music. I also understand it's not for everyone. But let me ask you this, were you really not moved at all by the ending of Einstein, with the chorus & beautiful violin playing under the story of the two lovers? That's nearly brought me to tears. And Opening from Glassworks? You didn't enjoy it at all? Now Music with Changing Parts I do understand, it's not one of my favs, in fact I kind of wish I hadn't recommended it. Oh well, different strokes for different folks, as they say.

@Ommagest: You actually got to see Philip live? I'm so jealous! I actually just recently got into Steve Reich, Music for 18 Musicians is wonderful. Never listened to John Adams though. Any recommendations?
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2010, 21:04

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 10 2010, 20:10)
@Drealm: You really listened to all of that in one day? You listened to Glassworks, Einstein and Music with Changing Parts in one sitting? Wow. I understand if you don't like it, but yes, I do truly enjoy Philip's music. I also understand it's not for everyone. But let me ask you this, were you really not moved at all by the ending of Einstein, with the chorus & beautiful violin playing under the story of the two lovers? That's nearly brought me to tears. And Opening from Glassworks? You didn't enjoy it at all? Now Music with Changing Parts I do understand, it's not one of my favs, in fact I kind of wish I hadn't recommended it. Oh well, different strokes for different folks, as they say.

In fact, you're right about the opening of Glasswork, I liked it; but only to realize that one of my favorite composer was inspired by this part for a song. Nobuo Uematsu, composer of the Final Fantasy video game serie, did a song in Final fantasy 9 that is clearly inspired by the opening of glasswork. If you're curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RArPD8AYSDU

Sorry, I am more calm now, I can be more objective!

In fact, I did not listened completely to everything. I was beginning each song for at least 3 or 4 minutes and, realizing the song was repetitive, I fast forwarded in the song, only to realize that even after 10 minutes, the music was essentially the same, and it was the same thing for every song. And when another song was beginning by the same riff as 3 other songs before, it was not easy. So I did not had the patience to fully listen to everything past 3 or 4 minutes. But I will give a whole listen without forwarding to the ending of Einstein as you say it moves you.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 06:22

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 08:30

Quote (Drealm @ Mar. 10 2010, 17:55)
Imagine tubular Bell part 1 continuing the introduction riff for the whole 25 minutes with only few changes. Imagine Ommadawn part 2 continuing the same riff (of the beginning of part 2) the whole part. Imagine The Lake continuing all the way with the beginning riff.

If you think THAT is preposterous, try Music for 18 Musicians (corrected!! ) by Steve Reich or Thursday Afternoon by Brian Eno.

Yes, repetition does have its place in music, and yes, there was a time when it was a HUGE discovery to find out that repeating a piece of music a little more than usual could provoke interesting responses in people; just like when it was a massive, shocking discovery to find out that if you plug a guitar into an amplifier, old people would call you a delinquent.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 09:31

@Drealm:  :laugh: Wow, that is like Opening from Glassworks! Yeah, do make sure and listen to the last track from Einstein one more time, give it a chance.

@Ommagest: I'll make sure and check out Shaker Loops.

@Sir Mustapha: Music in 12 Parts is by Philip Glass, not Steve Reich. Perhaps you meant Music for 18 Musicians? And a question, isn't your music somewhat influenced by minimalism? I haven't listened to it for a long time, but that's what I perceived.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2010, 11:56

Quote (Syd B @ Mar. 11 2010, 09:31)
@Sir Mustapha: Music in 12 Parts is by Philip Glass, not Steve Reich. Perhaps you meant Music for 18 Musicians?

*slaps forehead* Yes, exactly! I swapped the two titles. Thanks a lot, it went completely over my head.

And a question, isn't your music somewhat influenced by minimalism? I haven't listened to it for a long time, but that's what I perceived.

I suppose I was heavily influenced by artists that have themselves been influenced by minimalist artists; I think I can count Mogwai, Sigur Rós, Mike Oldfield and a couple of others. In fact, I only listened to the aforementioned Steve Reich album after I started writing that crazy middle section of Uniqua, and I realised THAT is what I wanted my music to sound like, somewhat. Other people have made associations between my stuff and minimalist music, so I think you're on the right track there. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 10:11

Sir Mustapha, I don't think I've had a chance to say this, but I quite like your stuff. Keep up the good work!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2010, 22:44

Wow, loads of thanks, there! :) That's some mighty fine motivation, and it makes a huge difference for me.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
42 replies since Mar. 08 2010, 11:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net