Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: April Fool - Mike Oldfield signature model guitar< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 01 2004, 18:44

Quote (Nacho @ April 01 2004, 21:32)
The tune is from Maestro or someone's creation??

Well, the tune that the synth plays at the beginning is one of the original Music VR themes, albeit with an extra chord added to the pattern. When the drums come in (a sample from a Yamaha portasound mini keyboard, by the way, to add an authentic touch! ), that little Sentinel type pattern is obviously Mike's as well. The rest, frighteningly, is my creation...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 18:51

On fretless guitars - the most well known would have to be the Vigier Surfreter, which is a standard production model which you can buy anywhere that sells Vigier guitars (not that many places do! ).

Of course the C-TB 2004 doesn't sound like a fretless though - that's the Virtual Fret technology in action! ;)
Of course, I'm quite sure that the combination of plastic strings and a fretless fingerboard would make the guitar completely useless as a MIDI guitar, but perhaps in a few years' time someone will prove me wrong on that!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 02 2004, 06:54

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 02 2004, 00:51)
On fretless guitars - the most well known would have to be the Vigier Surfreter, which is a standard production model which you can buy anywhere that sells Vigier guitars (not that many places do! ).

Off topic... a bit... :)

I've never heard about Vigier guitars, of course. :) The one I've seen played by Lutte Berg looked very like a standard Fender Stratocaster, but with no frets on the neck... :) Someone said that he had Fender Italy build that thing especially for him, but he never officially confirmed that, nor denied it...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 06:59

[continuing from the above...]

I've just taken a look at a Vigier Excalibur Surfreter. It does not look like a standard Fender Stratocaster without the frets. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 03 2004, 08:40

Well done! Actually, it's funnier than portable zip codes (this year's NPR April Spoof).

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
dreamweaver Offline

Posted: April 03 2004, 11:56

*blushes*
had me completely fooled I can tell you... even the bit about "strings made from an advanced unbreakable polymer"....

/tiptoes away quietly/

--------------
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-Life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heaven and Hell:"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 03 2004, 16:20

Odd as it might seem, Casio did produce some guitar synthesisers in the 1980s which used nylon strings (you can have a look at one here if you care), so fiction wasn't far from fact in that case (I'm amused to note that they too take 6 D-size batteries)...

Most of the feature set was pinched from real Casio keyboards - HL chips (whatever those are...) are a real Casio technology. I don't think there's any reason why a fretless MIDI instrument couldn't be set up to act as a fretted one either - it would just have to quantise note values (there'd be problems there, especially with vibrato, but it's not totally unlikely...).

The shape, somehow, reminds me of the Synthaxe. Perhaps Allan Holdsworth would buy one...
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: April 05 2004, 02:53

6 D-cells...hehe, reminds me of one of my remote controls.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 05 2004, 04:44

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 03 2004, 22:20)
I don't think there's any reason why a fretless MIDI instrument couldn't be set up to act as a fretted one either - it would just have to quantise note values (there'd be problems there, especially with vibrato, but it's not totally unlikely...).

I think it would be easily done, with using the pitchbend controller too...

so if you use a quarter tone it translate as for example C note...+ pitchbend down/up a quarter tone:)

hope you get what I am trying to say :D

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 05 2004, 08:45

With the technical expertise around here, I think Korg should run down to the Patent Office pretty sharpish :laugh:

"Tubular.net - Where Fact can be made from Fiction"

Mind you, not sure how you could squeeze any more laughing monkeys into the body - maybe use less D-cells?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 08 2004, 12:44

Very good, Korgscrew... Actually it reminded me of a guy I read about somewhere (Sound On Sound probably) who made a cello/ double bass synth that was based around 6x 3ft ribbon controllers - so, no strings at all. All you had to do to play notes was to hold your fingers in positions on the ribbon, almost like a Chapman stick.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 08 2004, 15:23

Leon Theremin designed a kind of cello-like instrument in 1930 or thereabouts which worked in the same way as regards pitch - volume was controlled by a lever which was pulled out like a bow. His more famous instrument was of course that named after himself (or rather, his anglicised name, he was born in Russia as Lev Termen), the Theremin, which didn't need to be touched at all...
There are some MIDI theremins around, I think most using a monophonic pitch - MIDI convertor, but people have built various digital variations on the Theremin idea.

There's a page about the Theremin Cello at oddmusic.com.

I do remember reading the article about the ribbon controller double bass synth, I think it was indeed in Sound on Sound.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: May 16 2004, 15:53

My eye caught this 'April fool joke' and the music that went with it, which was just pure dead brilliant.

The hoaxer should have made it a full album rather than just two minutes  :D
Profile PM 
32 replies since Mar. 31 2004, 22:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net