Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: April Fool - Mike Oldfield signature model guitar< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 31 2004, 22:06

Our 2004 April Fool's day spoof item:

I was very interested to receive a CD with an electronic press kit from Casio yesterday, including the following press release:

31st March 2004: Casio Electronics Co. Ltd today launches the C-TB 2004 Guitar Synthesiser, an exciting collaboration between Casio and world renowned instrumental musician Mike Oldfield, which incorporates advanced sound technology and a newly designed note tracking system in a stylish and portable design.

The C-TB 2004 includes Casio's advanced HL (Highly-compressed Large-waveform) sound generation chip to provide sounds which are stunningly realistic, with breathtaking realism. Fans of Oldfield's work will rejoice in the inclusion of sounds designed by Oldfield himself, including recreations of the plaintive saxophone featured on his 2002 album Tres Lunas, and the powerful bass from 'Introduction' on Tubular Bells 2003. The C-TB 2004 also includes Casio's new Auto Composer technology, which allows even novices to sound like accomplished musicians and produce polished sounding tracks at the push of a button. Pads on the front panel allow the triggering of any of the C-TB 2004's 100 percussion and sound effects samples, adding spice to any performance. Meanwhile, a built-in ported loudspeaker system means that the C-TB 2004 is able to share its sounds with the outside world without the need for any additional equipment. Simply insert 6 D-Size batteries and the C-TB 2004 is ready to rock anywhere, any time!

Using piezoelectric triggers and strings made from an advanced unbreakable polymer, together with a powerful onboard computer, the C-TB 2004 is capable of tracking of a level far in advance of systems which have gone before it. It also introduces the innovation of a fretless fingerboard, allowing exciting pitch-bend possibilities, along with VF Virtual Fret technology for emulating the behaviour of a fretted guitar.

"It's a fantastic instrument," says Oldfield "Being able to play it anywhere is great, and some of the sounds are brilliant. I've been using guitar synthesisers since the 80s, but this one is really how I always thought they should be. The Auto Composer a real bonus and has already provided me with some fantastic ideas. I'm very much looking forward to using it on my next album".

Also included was an image of the guitar and an audio demo by Mike. They promise that details will follow shortly on their website. This looks to be a very exciting development not just for fans of Mike, but music technology enthusiasts in general.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2004, 22:11

I want one! :)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 31 2004, 22:18

Heh.

including recreations of the plaintive saxophone featured on his 2002 album Tres Lunas, and the powerful bass from 'Introduction' on Tubular Bells 2003

2 of the biggest jokes in the MO fan community.

Nice sound clip, though nonetheless.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 01 2004, 02:42

That must make this the 3rd biggest joke then!!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 02:49

I don't think Casio make jokes...well, not deliberately at least...
Profile PM 
Sauli
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2004, 04:50

Hahaa! Good joke!
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 06:26

Excelent. It's good to see Mike getting his name on something at last. However you'd think he would have picked a more classy company than Casio to endorse, I would have thought PRS would have been a more obvious choice especialy since PRS are have aparantly taken note of Mike's 'creative' use of their guitars and brought out a PRS lute. Aparantly it has built in midi triggers so that the lute can plug into a synth lute module (sold sperately) which then triggers a lute like sound in real time so that the player (Mike) can sound exactly like he's playing a lute, only it's a synth lute.

Paul Reed Smith has designed it personaly himself and is aiming it at musicians like Mike who want that lute sound but don't want it coming from an actual lute. However instead of Doves flying down the neck of the instrument he's going to have Mother of Pearl inlay Pigeons.
Profile PM 
geinoh
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2004, 07:01

It's 1 april, day joke
:D
OMA
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2004, 08:11

Very nice MP3, Korgscrew ;-)
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 10:13

April Fool's!
April Fool's!!!
Nice one,Korgie ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 10:19

That thing looks so cool, I wish it was real  :p
Profile PM 
James not Jim
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2004, 10:29

Oh Shit you well and truly stiched me up there I was even looking at my current finances ready to have one shipped in.
You guys with too much time on yer hands .......I don't know get out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!! chuckle!!!!!! :D  :O
James not Jim again
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2004, 10:31

Mind you those speakers looked decidedly dodgey I thought LOL!!!!
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 01 2004, 11:56

:D  :D  :D
you almost got me  :p

but hey if that guitar would exist, and would not be a piece of nice-looking crap, I would want one! :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Henrik Hoffsten
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2004, 13:08

Good joke, nice image, and great tune!  :)
Jamie S Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 13:30

LOL  :D

Very good... things like this have been popping up on the other forums I lurk on....

Hey nice tune though  :)

;)
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 16:32

The tune is from Maestro or someone's creation??
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 16:51

posted by korg at 03:06...sleep depravation can lead to terrible things. :D

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 18:25

The tune is a Carterian rework [I think... :)] of the TB theme. Definitely not from Maestro. :)

I had a vague feeling that this was a joke already by reading the post (fretless fingerboard???), but I had the confirmation when I saw the pic... Why would Mike play a fretless guitar? If he really had designed it, I don't think he would've made it fretless. ;)  The only fretless guitar I ever saw is designed and owed by an Italian/Swedish big guy called Lutte Berg, and it certainly doesn't sound like in the 'demo'. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 01 2004, 18:43

laughing monkeys, maestro themes..(from bells game).

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
32 replies since Mar. 31 2004, 22:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net