Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: April 19 Demo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Wojtek Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 20 2002, 21:18

I'm dissapointed. Only some new things. Demo is choking, more than the first one. Textures, especialy on the moon, are very pixelized. In many places 3D graphics looks like made three (or more) years ago.
There's too little music: I have to looking for it in silence long time and the are only couple of themes.
Music sounds like relaxing-CD, but maybe there would be some better themes on the CD or in the full version of the game.
My system:
Celeron 533, geforce pro (with quite new detonators), 128 RAM, Windows 98. Anyone else have technical problems? (e.g. choking - when display freezes).
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: April 20 2002, 23:39

Wojtek, I have some very similar problems.
I don't understand how these demos always seem to segregate a large amount of video compatablity. I finally got the last one to work after weeks of playing around, and now with this one I'm back to the beginning again.

For me, the earlier demo looked and sounded much better. This version does have some interesting twists (if they don't crash your computer), but the trees and objects with less detail were fine with me.

I don't know? I'm hoping that there will be one final overhaul to make sure that the progam will work for most users (even if it sets back the release date). I don't think that will happen, though.

At least I know for sure that "Tres Lunas the soundtrack" is compatable for all CD players.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 21 2002, 08:41

Bonjour fans of Mike

You are not poetic to express what you feel in playing this game with the music of Mike which is so full of poetry.
But it is interesting to read your explanations, comments, questions, all the same.

Henri V (BO)+ Mike Oldfield
Allan_N Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 21 2002, 11:38

I'm totally lost. First I managed to get to the moon (I think I shot a ring at the moon tree to get there), where I found a bug that shot 'mini comets', and some weird thing in a crater that told me that "only two rings will do". I couldn't get off the damn moon so I restarted the game. So...two rings? I played the spike ball game twice and got two rings (the second time I had to shoot a ring at the white tree/bush/whatever). I set off for the moon tree and fired a ring at it again. Nothing happened. Grrr! I tried to fly through it and everything, but with no success.

I think I hate this game...it's totally illogical...!

Oh yeah, and I got stuck face down in the ground once. Think it was the blue rock... Felt like an ostrich there for a while, but I managed to get to the scorpion and that straightened me up.

/Allan

PS. How do you get to the mountain lake?
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 21 2002, 12:09

Blue stone with a ring in it that you can fly? Excuse me! Where can I find this? No flying stones in my demo as far as i can see!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 21 2002, 14:59

Bonsoir Allan
I found a mountain lake just after this planet with dragonfly you tell it is the moon. But I am not sure it is the same the others tell about.
I know it's difficult and even irritating, but keep patience.

gvcobb Offline

Posted: April 21 2002, 15:25

are these people who are telling us there progree on the demo2 tellinig the truth?

The graphics have serious problems I'm suprised this has been launched considering the amount of bugs after all this time!
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: April 21 2002, 15:46

Allan... you said you played the spike ball game twice to get 2 rings... That way you only got the same ring twice, you'll have to find 2 different rings! :-) There must be 2 rings in the upper right corner of the screen before you can use the portal.

/ Johan
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: April 21 2002, 20:48

I agree...there are too many quiet spaces between the music interludes. The graphics are nice, but there needs to be more music in it! Instead of the music just popping up from time to time, it should always be there, adding to the scene while you're exploring it; not just celebrating a certain event.

I want the music to the Origin to loop while exploring it, not just when you look at the cactus. And the music to the moon after you find the ring needs to continue instead of stop after less than a minute!

But remember, it is a demo. If so many things changed from the 1st demo to the 2nd, think how much will change from the 2nd demo to the final take!

But I do agree. I can easily overlook any graphics shortcomings if there would be fewer quiet spaces. Ideally--since the point of this whole MVR thing is to listen to the music in combination with the images--there shouldn't be any quiet spots at all! There should be music most of the time while you explore each area.

Then again, it is just a demo, and for a demo it's a great intro to what MVR can do. Let's just pray there're fewer silent spaces in the final take.

And no, the crickets don't count as "non-silence" ;-)
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: April 21 2002, 20:52

PS--Dark Star says the price of the CD will be "GPB 11.75"

What's a GPB?
Profile PM 
blues Offline

Posted: April 22 2002, 04:39

GBP = Great Britain Pounds... otherwise called sterlings :-)
Profile PM 
the soil man Offline

Posted: April 22 2002, 06:34

Well, the new demo works well on my machine (Pentium III 833 Mhz), and the sounds are in stereo: I usually find the dragonfly on the moon by tracking its chittering by means of its location to my left or right. I think that the game itself will be awesome.

One question though: what do I do at the mountain lake? Touching (or shooting at) the archway symbol means instant death and a return to the start. I have found that by just cruising around I am suddenly transported back to the desert, with no rings left, and not much to do further.

Fred
Profile PM 
Allan_N Offline

Posted: April 22 2002, 07:31

Johan, I _did_ get two different rings that way! But I couldn't get to the moon at all after that. Btw, how do you get off the moon if you can't use the portal?

Where did you find the other ring then?

Do you get to the mountain lake through the portal on the moon?

/Allan
Profile PM WEB 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: April 22 2002, 07:51

Allan> The only way to leave the moon is via the portal, which will take you to the mountains.

The other ring can be found on the moon, so there's no way to get stuck there.

/Johan
Profile PM 
Allan_N Offline

Posted: April 22 2002, 10:26

But I've searched the entire surface (feels like it anyway), and the only thing I've found is that darn bug that doesn't do anything. Btw, I don't get any music on the moon...is that because I haven't found the ring?

/Allan
Profile PM WEB 
Allan_N Offline

Posted: April 22 2002, 10:34

The music is all mono...I wonder why...hmm... Why have stereo sound effects but mono music? I think I'll e-mail the MVR team. There's also a graphic bug - if I turn and face the ground the bottom of the screen isn't redrawn properly. I have a TNT2 M64/32MB

/Allan
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: April 22 2002, 11:00

Has anyone of you studied the map that is placed on the website www.mikeoldfield.com If you do so you will find out that the demo has nothing to do with the final game according to progress. There are no spikesballgame to get tha first ring nor a moon to get the second ring. I think the demo is just something quickly programmed to give us a good looking on whats gonig on. Thats why I think and hope that the final game do not have these problems that many of you experience. I do not have any problem at all running the demo though. The only boring thing about it is that there is very little music. I also thinks the music should loop more. And then the very illogical story. I tried a long time to get to the moon before I figured out how to get there.

Henri! I can't express myself in apoetic way, but what I wrote above are my thoughts of the game. I have been looking forward to tha game in a couple of years now and I really think I am going to like it.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: April 22 2002, 12:37

On the planet of the dragonfly I call Capucine because I am a poet, if you appreciate to listen several times the melody, you can go several times at the place where you found the second ring, and you'll see and hear the show again and again.

And, if you throw some golden rings at this place the show is more beautiful, you can see more stars from the ground going to the sky in the lights of the sort of firework.
But, you'll have three golden rings in the corner of your screen and no possibility to go away of this place where you'll can just play several times the show and play with Capucine the dragonfly.

That depend if you play to appreciate several times the music, the show in first, or you prefer to search the others things and places to discover.

Thomas, even if you don't know to express the poetry you can feel in this game, I
know it's difficult, your comments are interesting. And the comments of the others fans too.

I told to Mike it is possible to compose a beautiful romantic song on this short melody if he prolongs it.
The fans who know me, know I adore to write songs of love to Mike.
I gave to him the first poetic lines of love for him that inspire to me and I am waiting for he answers to me.
I wish all his fans and my fans, will love this song too.

Allan_N Offline

Posted: April 23 2002, 05:24

I found the second ring! It was just lying there in a crater. Does anyone find this game to be suffering from the 'needle in a haystack' syndrome? :-/ It took like forever to find Capucine the Dragonfly (I thought he was flying around, and not parked on the surface...like these 'avatars' usually are).

So I finally got to the mountains. What a dull place..and not the music I expected (one of the first MVR music demos was called Mountain Lake and was pretty wonderful). Can you do anything at all here?

Cheers!

/A
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2002, 06:59

Allan, I think the other music called mountain lake was more beautiful too.
But perhaps there is another mountain lake in this game, perhaps at this place it is a river to go to this lake.
There is the music vr pub sign turning on itself like publicity at this place, it's certainly the sense of this demo, to see people asking more and more questions and buy the game to know more about all these things.

53 replies since April 19 2002, 14:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net