Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Any Roland VG users on the board?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Antonuzzo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 17 2018, 12:27

I've been using the VG-8, VG-99 and VB-99 for a number of years, and i've started work on creating a few Mike Oldfield patches. I'll be happy to share them.

But I wondered if anyone else has been trying to do the same?
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 04 2020, 18:50

I've got a VG-88, but I haven't had much time to spend making my own patches yet. I tend to find a preset that is close to what I want, tweak it, then record.

But I'd be interested in sharing if I get anywhere interesting with it.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 05 2020, 08:40

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
jakubszark92 Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2022, 04:08

@Antonuzzo have you created some Oldfield tones? I am thinking about buying roland GR-20 and one thing that stops me is I'm not sure if I would be able to achieve sounds like from sentinel or TSODE (the smooth guitar flute sound)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2022, 18:56

I am thinking about buying roland GR-20 and one thing that stops me is I'm not sure if I would be able to achieve sounds like from sentinel or TSODE (the smooth guitar flute sound)

Which parts from which specific tracks? Because I've found that some of the sounds I really liked were actually a guitar sample played from a guitar (like the one which enters 1min 18s into Sentinel). The VG-88 modelling can definitely get that sound which was used as the lead for The Hero and at about 1min 22s into Mont St Michel from Voyager.
Profile PM 
jakubszark92 Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2022, 01:43

Which parts from which specific tracks?

The Voyager, timeframe 2:14-2:35
First Landing, timeframe 0:28 to the end

I've found that some of the sounds I really liked were actually a guitar sample played from a guitar

What do you mean actually by sample played from the guitar? It sounds like some higher technology :)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2022, 17:34

What do you mean actually by sample played from the guitar? It sounds like some higher technology :)

- Record guitar note;
- Create sample from it in a sampler (probably an Akai S-something at the time, but now most DAWs have a sampler);
- Trigger sample using MIDI guitar (at the time probably using something like a Roland GR-20 and the same divided pickup used by the VG system).

The clever bit is you can mess with the sample - like removing the attack and having it fade in like a flute, or having it play an octave higher than the actual guitar note so you don't have to play everything at the top of the neck, or adding a layer an octave above it. You can get the double-speed guitar sound, but hear it live. And with a looped sample you can get infinite sustain if you want it.

I'm pretty sure that's what's happening with those parts of Voyager and TSODE.

Sounds like the one on Landing from the tracks that were released before Tr3s Lunas came out is more like the kind of harmonic re-synthesis guitar sounds the VG-88 does.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Feb. 17 2018, 12:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net