Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Any Interesting location around Mike Oldfield in London?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
guntar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 19 2001, 18:06

Hi, The next week I'm gonna go to London, please can anyone tell me if there's any special location in London arround Mike Oldfield? even any fans club, special street or square etc,etc.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 20 2001, 16:38

Certainly Abbey Road.

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 20 2001, 19:37

I suppose it depends what you expect to get out of your visit...

Recording studios are interesting on the inside, but otherwise there's not much to see (and they won't let you inside unless you're working there, usually, though someone told me they did tours of Abbey Road).

Then there are places Mike has played...
The Queen Elizabeth Hall on the south bank (where Tubular Bells was premiered) is quite interesting in a way (the foyer especially has a very 1960s feel to it), but I'd not say it was worth a special visit. You might, however, find an interesting concert to go and see there. There is a café in there (though I'm not sure when it opens/closes), though, and there are other things to see on the south bank (the London Eye, the big ferris wheel, is worth a go - there's a good view from there, and I always like to get a view of a ccity from up high, I think it helps get a good sense of where things are).
Wembley arena wouldn't be worth bothering with, really - nothing to see there, unless you're going to a concert.
Horseguards Parade is a good one, of course - people often like to go and see the 'changing of the guards' there, and it's also very close to Buckingham Palace. It's not really much of a walk from the south bank to horseguards parade - it's on the other side of the river - you could visit both in an afternoon and take a look around Westminister as well (maybe you'd want to spend longer than an afternoon if you were doing that as well, especially if you'd also like to take a trip on the London Eye).

The area centering around Denmark Street is good if you like looking at musical instruments - Mike bought his red Fender Stratocaster there - but I don't see much reason to go there otherwise (although it's near Oxford Street where a lot of visitors to London like to visit, though I can't say I find it terribly interesting myself...The record shops on Oxford Street are good for buying Mike's albums, though, if you need any).

There are probably more things, but that's all I can think of right now...If you want any help on how to get to these places, feel free to ask me.
Profile PM 
2 replies since Dec. 19 2001, 18:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net