[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another Song, need your advice again!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Crises Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 29 2003, 16:13

Hey guys,

Back with another track This is my first attempt at doing an electronic song. I'm still debating if i want to add a guitar solo in there to make it a little more interesting. It needs alot of work, and this is where your helpful advice and critisiscm comes in, you guys were very helpful on my last composition. Here goes:

UPDATE: (I've redone the piece, added some cool effects, took your advice)

Electronic Song (Untitled)

(Right Click - Save Target As) [2.48mb]

Comments / Critisiscm?

PS: Does anyone know where i could get some good free webspace for my mp3s? apart from mp3.com?

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 29 2003, 16:24

hmm...sounds good...

except for the mix...hmm I think the synth keeps on fighting with the drums...that's all

about the composition sounds really interresting though I would try to use a few kinds of offbeat...you know ...what's that word...ah yeah breakbeat :) hmm would be interresting in a more enhanced Drum & Bass Version...

Can I ask what you used?

overall rating would be a 8/10

9 for ideas
7 for mixing
8 for synthworks :)

keep on!

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 29 2003, 16:40

Yeah, i totally agree with the synth/drum fighting ;) i'll work on that. Thats the most interesting Drum and Bass ill be able to get, with my equipment :D.

For the synths: I used a soundfont that i got free on this site ages ago, i doubt it's still online, but if you are interested i'll be happy to send it to you.

And for the drums: i used another free soundfont (what a cheapass) that i got from the same site.

Thanks for the comments B00sTER ;)

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: May 29 2003, 18:20

Hmm... interesting, interesting! It has been a while since I heard something 'industrious' like this.

The sound seems good for the genre. Maybe putting more volume on the drums would add something to the feel... the drum composition should get some more attention then though.

At 00:50 you fall back on one instrument. When the second instrument begins to play it's ok, but in between it sounds a bit to nude. Maybe adding a tiny effect would solve things, or give it a bit reverb, or doubling it with another instrument, or adding the same melody on lower volume with an interval of a diminished quint (tell me if I'm making any sense :D ), ... Just some thoughts.

The chord at 2:24 sounds rather dissonant. Doesn't fit I think.

Your composition sounds quite hasty, quick, speedy. Probably because your little "intermezzo's" are short, and because it hasn't much detail. That can work of course, but I think three and a half minutes is a bit to long. I would make it shorter, or work a bit to develop the little "intermezzo's".

I hope I was useful.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 29 2003, 18:46

Very useful :D

and yes i do understand what you meant about the diminished quint, although i think adding an effect would be the best option, perhaps flange and reverb :) I'll make the drums a bit louder, although making drum fills are one of my biggest weaknesses.

As for the chord at 2:24; that was just a mistake that i missed out, thanks for pointing that out.

I don't think ill make it shorter, but i think i'll add a little guitar solo and a perhaps few guitar licks here and there. I will work on the "intermezzo's" however, i don't want to overdo them, that was my initial intention.

Thanks for your comments, Ancient :D

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 08:20

Reminds me of a video game 'boss' battle or something lol. The quality is also reminicent of a Super NES game. Still very good, though. Nice work.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 08:27

Final Fantasy VII? not really inspired by that, but i guess i'm into that kind of music

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
Square Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 30 2003, 10:16

FF7? Now I HAVE to download it!

Comments later
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 12:17

good job, full of energy. it miss something...i'm thinking of some "the matrix" voices sampled and putted when the drum stops, equalized as they become from a telephone, you know? i think, if you can put some effects like this (sampled voices, some choir riff stolen in some classical opera) you make the track good for who mromally press the FFWD button listening electronic music.
anyway, i like it. when i was 19, with a roland jx8p and a yamaha dx7 i loved to compose this kind of tracks (but without your sense of rythm, my works were so boring...).electronic music is still my secret love.

keep on playing man.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 12:25

Thats a great idea, sampling voices to go in between the gaps of sound...i think i might use that :D

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 12:44

you said it's the best you can get from your equipment... hmm :)
a question comes on my mind...what's your equipment? ;)
if I can ask

--------------
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 13:16

Guitar: Hohner Arbor (Like gibson explorer)
Bass: Squier P-Bass Affinity
Keyboards: Midiman, Casio, Yamaha

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 13:20

and software?

hmm I think you could get far better sound ;) just play with EQs and so on

--------------
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 13:41

Sonar 2.0
Cool Edit Pro (For Mastering)
Edirol Synths..

Thats about it...

I find if i play with Eq's too much it spoils the sound and makes it sound too artificial

Edit: The sound quility will be much better in the final copy. It's part two of a four part song...this was just a rough print.

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 15:14

Learn out how to use EQs and compressors
there are good tutorials at www.reasonstation.net for example :)

or here ---> http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/mastering/mastering2.asp

--------------
Profile PM 
Square Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 30 2003, 16:57

I'm back. I took a listen, yes, it sounds like a battle theme or something...However the mastering is wrong; it's far too loud!And thus distorted even when played very silently...
My advice is: when recording anything, be careful, all the lines of the waveform in Cool Edit (or anywhere else) should always stay within the limits of the screen (or the lines in CE that represent the limit). Everything that goes out of them produces a bad distortion (sometimes perhaps not even audible, but it's there). If you lower the volume of your recording now, the distortion is going to stay, because the signal beyond the limit is unrepairably transformed - fluent waveform shape into bad sounding sharp (distorted) waveform shape (try it, you'll see what I mean - it looks as if it had been cut with a knife). I recommend re-recording, if possible.

However, all in all, I'd say it's quite interesting, and sounds pretty good (except the distortion :)).

Great idea about the samples...

Btw, while I listened it, I unconciously started improvising a bit on my keyboard over the second half, and it sounded pretty nice. I guess some hard-driven guitar solos could also sound very good over it.
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 19:17

Here we go again...tell me what you think?

(This isn't the final mix)

Electronic Song (Untitled)

(Right Click - Save Target As) [2.48mb]

I decided not to do a guitar solo as i thought it might let the piece down a bit. I will still do the samples, all in good time :D

Better or Worse?

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 20:49

Alright, I'm drunk right now, but hey, what does it matter. If I change my mind when I'm sober I'll post it.

The drums seem a bit improved. Still, I have the impression that you tend to be a bit to original with the drums. Me myself, I'm not good with drums either. But while experimenting with it I've noticed that you best keep drums quite mainstream (contradict me if I'm wrong) 'cause they're a real pain in the ass. I still keep the impression that there's fighting with the drums in your track.

About the reverb you added, I don't like it. I think it disrupts the track as much as the absent of reverb. I hear the good intention, but the result isn't there... I imagine something in between... or that diminished quint melody doubling (yes, I like spooky music :) ). Or just putting a bit less reverb... don't know, but this sounds rather Boosterish... no offense, Booster, but I don't think I fits the style.

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Crises Offline

Posted: May 30 2003, 21:12

Heh, well the drums being original? i wouldn't know but i'm quite happy with them now....although i think i'll make the bass synth louder...seems that the drums are taking over and the main instrument is supposed to be the bass synth...

I'm not a big fan of the reverb, however, i thought i could try and get used to it...but that will come off in the final mix, i think i will put some choir samples in between the gaps...

Thanks for your input...keep drinking ;)

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 31 2003, 07:55

Sounds much better :)
at 1.12 you used a nice break beat :) more variation on it would be good...

btw your ideas are fantastic sounds like old 80's synth pop...and newest drum and bass in one song...

btw I don't think that reverb is a problem (that's only music ancient language's problem) :)...don't worry being boosterish I don't have copyright on that style...maybe ancient has just purchased a trademark to use this style name :D

--------------
Profile PM 
23 replies since May 29 2003, 16:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net