Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another one 'bout The Lake, Descriptive Help... Please!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 17 2005, 12:08

Can anyone describe what this track is meant to be about? I've tried understanding it and getting on with it several times, and I just can't do it. Perhaps with all your help I will. :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 12:58

I don't know if it's meant to be about anything special. I think Mike tried to translate his impressions of Lake Geneva (on a sunny day of course!;) into music. I've allways felt that some of the synth arpreggios refer to water ("riplling"). As I've said earlier it's not mu favorite MO track, but there's some impressive guitar sounds in the final section.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 16:52

Yeah, i always thought it related to Lake Geneva, 2000 km above see level (on a clear day). Wonder what Mike would have composed if it had been foggy!!!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 17:46

Perhaps an earlier version of Misty from Tr3s Lunas  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 17:57

or possibly Sunlight Shining Through The Clouds!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 18 2005, 12:28

'The Lake' always gave me the impression of a quiet lake at night, oddly enough. I can't picture a clear, sunny day on that track.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 18 2005, 12:32

As far as visual inspiration from "The Lake" goes, for me it is daytime, and there is/are lots of fog and mist. That's as far as it goes for me. I've never seen or been near Lake Geneva, so it is all imagination. "Lake Constance" is another story.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 19 2005, 05:02

I've never got much lake imagery from it at all, which I suppose is strange considering it's one of my very favourite pieces. Watery imagery isn't something I really think about when listening.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 19 2005, 12:21

It's one of your favourites? Why? What do you see in it?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 19 2005, 21:39

For me it's mainly just the feeling in it, especially the ending. I just don't get much imagery from it at all. That's fine of course, because I just find so much emotion all the way through in the playing.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: April 24 2006, 17:10

'The Lake' always gave me the impression of a quiet lake at night, oddly enough. I can't picture a clear, sunny day on that track.

exactly right...

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 28 2007, 20:54

Quote (arron11196 @ May 19 2005, 12:21)
It's one of your favourites? Why? What do you see in it?

I fell in love with "The Lake" when I first heard it, which was on YouTube. It was the soundtrack (actually, just a seven minute excerpt) to a helmet-cam video of a motorbike ride through an English landscape. While I enjoy the multiple themes during the somewhat meandering first half, it's the last 5 minutes (approx) - what I think of here as 'The Big Payoff' - that I find thrilling and moving. To me, it sounds glorious.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 02:31

As a follow-up to my previous post, I no longer think of the first half as 'meandering'. I love all of "The Lake" now. :cool:

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2007, 03:33

I spoke about The Lake here:
http://tubular.net/forums....;t=6704

;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: April 03 2010, 12:52

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 18 2005, 12:28)

Exactly the same for me.

And some say that they don't picture anything in this track. Weird; because for me, this song is one I imagine the most things with. In fact, I have this video I imagine in my head each time I listen to it.

I will describe it, maybe it will help arron11196!

At the beginning, a lake, by a clear night, with the stars shining. Then you begin flying over it and eventually end up in space (the kind of "rock" part) traveling among planets until you end up on one of them, having an atmosphere like the moon. Then you enter a cave; you follow a river slowly reflecting on the walls and top of the cavern, until you arrive at the "main" part of the cave, with 5 or 6 great waterfalls (inside the cavern, we're not outside yet). Then we go into an other part of the caves, entering an other cavern behind a waterfall. (this part is when you begin hearing the "voices"). These voices are a great civilization living beneath the ground , you can see them in action as they move, live and eventually built a town toward the surface. After that, when the music become calm, you quit this civilization to just wander on the surface of this "moon", looking at the landscape. Then, when the last part of the song begin, you're quitting the "moon", flying back to the lake you started with on earth.

That's my personal movie I created with this song.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 03 2010, 19:42

I can't believe that people can listen to this track and not realise that it's simply about a trip across a lake in a boat. The storm section is so obvious, and it's clear Mike learnt his lessons from Beethoven's Pastoral symphony.

It's an effective piece, but it doesn't really move me much - not even when the boat's rocking!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 03 2010, 21:47

I never felt The Lake as a "narrative" piece; at most, I felt like the song moved across different "scenes" or "moments", but without any narrative trend across them. Besides, the structure is pretty conventional, there isn't much to get my eyebrows raised.

I also think it's not very impressive; it's pretty much "Oldfield by the numbers", though it's still head and shoulders above Taurus II and Mount St. Michel.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 04 2010, 00:50

Well Arron, it's about a guy with an imagination and good dexterity making a very cool instrumental. Sorry it took 5 years to get back atcha.....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2010, 22:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 18 2005, 18:28)

Exactly the same to me.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2011, 16:08

I think the lake has a tone of happiness in it that I don't hear in any other MO song. Especially the main theme. Maybe he just wanted to say he was happy? :)

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
23 replies since May 17 2005, 12:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net