Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another nonsense album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 11:07

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Aug. 29 2005, 14:55)
I'll host it on my site (as well as Tr3s Lunas II for those who can't find it online and email me looking for it lol). He also made about a 5 minute long Craterland mix. I'll put that up as well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Brandon Blume - you make the world a better place.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 13:16

Ok here's OMA's Extended Owl mix. I'll get the others up tonight if I can.

http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co.uk/tl2/oma_owl.mp3

yes I didn't say album is going to be bad...I'm just saying that i'm expecting to be disapointed a lot with something I was looking forward to...

when I heard Mike's going to try on chillout and some uptempo electronica I was surprised and was looking forward to it...but with what I heard I was dissapointed ... even more than with Armin's Shivers single for example

What we heard were 2 tracks from the first disc. All the techno and uptempo electronica dark stuff is on the second disc.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 14:33

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Aug. 29 2005, 19:16)
techno and uptempo electronica dark stuff is on the second disc.

yes this is chillout just a genre which is not highly different from electronica...;) in fact it's sub-genre so what's the point?

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 14:46

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Aug. 29 2005, 18:16)
Ok here's OMA's Extended Owl mix.

Many thanks for this. I know it's hopelessly off topic, but may I just say that lovely though this is, and delighted as I am to have it, it doesn't for me reach the dizzy (and, I fancy, more authentically Oldfieldian) heights as your version, Brandon.

Back to the topic, ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for your patience.
Profile PM 
OMA Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 22:03

Just in case somebody want some of my mixes... :)

http://personales.ya.com/oma2k/mvrmixes/Owl.mp3
http://personales.ya.com/oma2k/mvrmixes/Craterland.mp3
http://personales.ya.com/oma2k/mvrmixes/MaestroMix_2_by_OMA.mp3

Bye!

OMA
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 22:19

Fantastic but I have exeeded my limit this month downloading several Pink Floyd albums and over 100 Fan Tracks (and I am still only on page 2, have 7 more pages to get through and then the Fan Mixes and Fan Covers, it's very exciting) so I cannot do anymore downloading until Sept 5th. I hope this stuff will still be available. I wait with baited breath (what the hell does that expression mean anyway?!;))

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 29 2005, 23:18

yes this is chillout just a genre which is not highly different from electronica...;) in fact it's sub-genre so what's the point?

We're talking about Mike's definition of music genres not the regular definitions ;).

Glad I could help with the tune...but I see OMA has the original files! I lost my mp3 of it and only had a version I burned on cd audio that I had to record from so OMA's is probably higher quality.

Since you're here, OMA, do you mind if I host those files and distribute them on my site?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 05:00

Quote (OMA @ Aug. 30 2005, 03:03)
Just in case somebody want some of my mixes... :)

Thank you! I already had the brilliant Maestro Mix, but I didn't have Craterland and I'm thrilled to have it now. Many thanks.
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 08:33

Hope that the rest of Light and shade is more memorable than the the three tracks I've heard so far. One of them is a remixed version of nearer my god to thee (closer), another (Our father) is a reject from Voyager. The third, (angelique) is more interesting but still seems very lightweight and insipid. Sorry to be soooo negative but these tunes lack the depth and originality of proper Oldfield music. :(

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 11:56

And just what is "proper Oldfield music"? Who are we to judge that but Oldfield himself? I understand your opinion, but I love the tracks. I thoguht it sounded like a hymn (closer) but it was a little different than I remember. I like it though.

There's something weird about these tracks too. Each file plays once and then plays again but the second time it plays there are small gaps in the sound making it horrible. And in doing so doubles the length of the song. Our Father is 13 minutes long for me, for example, because of this looping glitch problem. Anyone else have this?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 14:04

I think Angelique sounds much better with each listen and these better quality versions make it sound excellent, it sounds like its got a lot more body to it. Closer does sound like a Voyager track, its got those grace notes, quite bagpipey. I think this album, like the better tracks on TresLunas, will make it a perfect companion to TSODE, it sounds like its continuing that style.

Lightweight and insipid? Hmm, Its certainly doesn't seem like its going to be another Ommadawn, but we weren't expecting that were we? I just wish he'd vary his rhythm's a bit but maybe he will on other tracks.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 14:54

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Aug. 30 2005, 17:56)
Who are we to judge that but Oldfield himself?

people who listen it and who have right to have an opinion on it

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 15:50

Quote (BOOsTER @ Aug. 30 2005, 20:54)
Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Aug. 30 2005, 17:56)
Who are we to judge that but Oldfield himself?

people who listen it and who have right to have an opinion on it

That would be "Oldfield music you like" and "Oldfield music you don't like", not "proper Oldfield music" and "improper Oldfield music".
Profile PM 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 16:00

I did like 'Angelique' for its melody, but i simply abhor the way the whole thing sounds. It could have been much much better if some other sounds and instruments would have been used. For me, Oldfield's last really good album was Songs of Distant Earth, 'tis a sad thing to say. Tres Lunas suffered from the same condition. No, this chillout stuff is too cheesy and I don't feel much life in it.
I'm going to buy the record anyway, but aside a few tracks, maybe, it will leave me unsatisfied, I'm afraid. How come it doesn't feed my soul like some other records used to?
Still, no complaint, he is still making some music and this is a good thing after all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 16:40

Quote (kuraaka @ Aug. 30 2005, 21:00)
Tres Lunas suffered from the same condition. No, this chillout stuff is too cheesy and I don't feel much life in it.

That may be because you're only getting a part of the Tres Lunas experience. Buy the game and come and play it online with us. The experience will transform the music for you (as it was always intended to do) and I'll be very surprised if it doesn't begin to feed your soul in the way you hope for.
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 02:46

Holger, you may have a point, but to me proper Oldfield music always used to be powerful and inventive. I always knew that the more you listened to an Oldfield tune the more you would find. Nowadays. what you hear on first listening, is pretty much all you get. That bloody drum machine on the tracks I've heard (from L&S) sounds tinny and drives me up the wall. Where's the depth? They seem to be lacking passion. I'll still buy it though and hope that the tracks I've not heard are more in keeping with what I call proper Oldfield music. :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 02:58

MusicallyInspired, as someone who has dug deep into his own pocket for the last 25 years, to keep Mr Oldfield in the style to which he is now acustomed, I consider myself well in a position to judge his music! :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 03:20

When you buy an album, you buy a product that Mike is offering. You don't buy the man himself, not even a piece of him.
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 04:22

This is getting far deeper than I intended. Suffice to say that I value everyones opinion, but I personally feel that his music is not as good as it used to be. I first got into Oldfield at school when a teacher was demonstrating his quad hifi. He played a couple of minutes of Tubular bells - the end of part1. That was enough to get me hooked. I had to have it.  Nothing in his most recent albums has had anyhting like that effect on me. As for buying a piece of Mike - sounds a bit messy!  :) Best regards.

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 05:00

I've decided to resist the temptation of listening to any preview downloads.Much as this torments I prefer to wait for Light & Shade release,sit calmly(and hopefully be moved to react in some way)hear the entire 2 cd's then
form my own personal opinion on it.Think topic title Another Nonsense Album's a lot of nonsense in itself though.But it did make me laugh all the same. :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
44 replies since Aug. 27 2005, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net