Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another Elements (Video) Topic< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 18 2001, 01:15

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I popped down to a music store in Perth, and lo and behold when I got there, on a shelf right in front of me, the Elements video was just sitting there rather quietly, ignoring all the customers and being ignored too. Of course, since I don't have the video, I had a look at it.

There were two things that put me off, and so I didn't buy it.

The first thing was the price...$55 (Australian). To me that was a bit steep, especially since other videos nearby (e.g. various Pink Floyd concerts) were only $32/$35.

The second thing was the list of "tracks" on the back. There didn't seem to be many featured in the video. In addition, are the Tubular Bells part one and Incantations part four full-length? There only seemed to be about 10 tracks, plus interviews.

So...

Is $55 too expensive for the video?
Are TB (part one) and Inc (part four) full-length?
Is the majority of the video taken up by interviews?
Is it worth buying?

That'll do for now. wink

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 22 2001, 01:37

Doing a quick currency conversion, $55 seems a little on the steep side...I would probably pay that if there was no other option, but have a little look around first to make sure I couldn't get it cheaper somewhere else. I'm not actually sure what the current price for it is...

Neither the Tubular Bells or the Incantations parts are full length. The Tubular Bells part is a reasonable length - certainly enough to be interesting. I guess it must be about 10 minutes (or maybe that's overestimating it...still, a decent length - it gets in one of the heavy guitar bits).
As an aside (just for the effect of it really...), you can see Steve Hillage there, with his funny woolly hat/tea cosy on...

I'd guess it's a pretty even balance between videos and interviews...I guess it must be maybe 60 - 70% videos and the rest interview. It didn't seem like there was too much interview footage to me, but maybe I'm just easily pleased on such matters wink.

So...well...I guess from that you can make your own mind up about whether it's worth buying or not. You'll probably quite like it though...
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 22 2001, 08:28

Cheers Korgscrew...

Since this is the only place I know of in WA that stocks it, I'll have a look around to see if there are any others first. But I'll probably end up buying it from the aforementioned shop if I don't find it, even at $55 (Aus).

In case anyone was wondering, 55 Australian dollars is, in global exchange rates, a large amount of chocolate wink.

-Tim-

P.S. The fact that Steve Hillage is on it may just convince me to buy it wink. (Sorry Ugo). I've always wanted to know which way round I'm meant to wear a tea cosy rolleyes
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 22 2001, 17:05

There's a Moonlight Shadow video in Elements which I quite like. The music-playing scenes are (probably) playback, but the rest is some duel/crystal-ball story, quite funny.
There's also a scene from Mike's studio where he recorded TB2, and which he made 'look like the old Manor House...'.
The Etude video features a boy and a Fairlight CMI that Mike used. I like this video also.

BTW, is there a transcription of the Elements interviews available on the Web? If not, maybe somebody should make one...
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Alnilam Offline

Posted: July 23 2001, 13:09

I personally would buy it. I've seen worse prices.

--------------
-Alni
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: April 02 2002, 02:25

what is the tracklisting?
tell me please by email
mirwais_fan@hotmail.com
i want to know

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 24 2002, 20:52

Track List for Elements:
Ommadawn Part One(in the beginning)
TB Part One(live from the Second House,BBC)
In Dulci Jubilo
Incantations Part 4(probably from the Space Movie)
Etude
Five Miles Out
Moonlight Shadow
Islands
Shadow on the Wall
Sentinel(remix)
Tatoo(live)
In the Pool(played live after the interview)
...between each clip,you have a nice interview with Mike himself ,and you see why he wanna re-record TB... ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2002, 16:34

Guess my question fits here, now that I finally got the video via Ebay.de (for 14 Euro - not too bad; I gave up on the Space Movie, which went off around 30).
So, besides Steve Hillage, does anyone have a full cast of the TB live performance ?
Another one - the blonde in FMO obviously isn't Maggie - is she credited somewhere ?
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2002, 21:37

hi, Andreas !

feel free to drop me an e-mail, I can make u a VHS-copy of it for the costs of the blank-tape and postage. as u seem to live in Germany, too, it won't become that much....

;)

ciaooo,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since July 18 2001, 01:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net