[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Anil Prasad interviews Mike in Innerviews< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2013, 07:29

Quote (GusFogle @ July 25 2013, 12:39)
But the riff is actually a 16th note shorter than that. So if you're counting the riff in 10/8, I will guarantee that you're cutting the 10th beat of the measure short to land on beat 1 of the next bar.

Aha!  I see where you're coming from.  From a drumming perspective, it's probably easier to treat it as if it is as I described, but compositionally, and more accurately, I'm sure you're right.  As if 10/8, 9/8, 16/8 weren't tricky enough!!
Profile PM WEB 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: July 26 2013, 07:30

And my main point stands - there is actually a time signature, despite what MO said, albeit a very complex and unusual one!!
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 26 2013, 11:43

Quote (Platinumpty @ July 26 2013, 11:29)
From a drumming perspective, it's probably easier to treat it as if it is as I described, but compositionally, and more accurately, I'm sure you're right.

It certainly makes most sense to approach it that way from a guitar perspective - if, every time you come to the first of the two thwacks of the low D, you get a 19 note phrase, so you get that repeating four times, then you can have two bars of 15 to accommodate the final 30 (though I'd prefer to think of it as one phrase of 14 and one of 16, as you're then back to the low D with the last 16).

What you said, though, reminds me of a thing (the sadly late) Bob Brozman did as part of one of his shows, where he got the audience to count along to what he was playing in a number of different time signatures! Thinking about it, I'd have loved to have seen Bob tackle Amarok as a live show - he had the sense of humour and could have captured the album's manic spirit (the album he made with Takashi Hirayasu, Jin Jin has a similar blend of the manic, beautiful and whimsical, though in a different musical style...I have vivid memories of their show in London, and one moment with Bob nonchalantly bouncing from side to side with a charango in his hands while Takashi struggled not to just fall of his chair laughing at the sight).
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 08:51

I had been looking forward to this since March, and the result has done nothing to disappoint.  I hope I never learn enough about Amarok to demistify it entirely, but let's face it - all of us who have seen the light have a question or ten!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 11:44

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ July 27 2013, 12:51)
I hope I never learn enough about Amarok to demistify it entirely, but let's face it - all of us who have seen the light have a question or ten!

I think the thing with Amarok is that even when you know how all the parts are played and how all the sounds are achieved, it still remains massively impressive...you can really hear the hours that Mike, Tom and the other contributors spent crafting it down to the last fine detail. It took Drew Minasian two years to transcribe and record his cover version (though to be fair, he wasn't doing it full time like Mike was, but still, perhaps it gives some feel for the number of little bits in there)...and I guess, to stick with the theme of how demystifying it doesn't necessarily diminish appreciation of it, it was great fun to have a bit of an Amarok jam (try it, it's wonderfully sweet...) with Drew on Inkanta's back porch one hot summer night, after everyone but the crickets had gone to sleep.
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: July 27 2013, 15:09

That sounds wonderful Korgscrew  :D

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
InterAstefanMechanic Offline

Posted: July 29 2013, 10:50

In this interview Mike Oldfield set
- It is more York album
...so it is more York album but it is more Mike Oldfield music!!! :laugh:   :laugh:
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2013, 14:04

Quote (InterAstefanMechanic @ July 29 2013, 17:50)
In this interview Mike Oldfield set
- It is more York album
...so it is more York album but it is more Mike Oldfield music!!! :laugh:   :laugh:

Yes, it is all about Mike Oldfield's music, but in my eyes (ears) it is only a cover album by York. I have never liked these "remixes", not by York, not by The Orb or anyone else.

It's taking MO's music as source and turning it to something much worse or even unlistenable. I have everything Mike has ever published in my collection, including many rarities and even Orb's "Sentinel Total Overhaul", but I never listen to these remixes. Tubular Beats is the first "Mike Oldfield album" (not really ! ) I have skipped altogether thanks to the Youtube clips I had the "privilege" to sample.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2013, 05:05

I completely agree with you. I also never liked any of Oldfield's tracks remixes, starting somewhere in 1992-94 when the first techno-dance remixes came out. It's a sad thing to me, that Mike didn't contain on his singles more of his original compositions but those remixes. I even like the 12" extended versions of his tracks over those remixes.

PS. Also don't have Tubular Beats in my collection, and will never buy it. But...hmm...is this really "Mike Oldfield album"?
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2013, 05:31

Ive heard some really good remixes of other tracks by other people, but I just don't think this Beats album works... each to their own I guess. I found myself reaching for the originals after one listen through... not a good sign.

Owell.  :p

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2013, 02:02

I think York is a good producer and really added something to a few of the tracks he worked on. The Ommadawn mix sounded like an atrocity on paper, but I was surprised by how well it worked. Spacious, dymanic stuff.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 09:54

But - what is the album based on 2001? Or is he confusing himself, bless?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 11:40

Tubular Bells 2003, of course!  Give me a few years - I'll find a link!

Perhaps Mike was thinking about the other novel/film as well when writing Ascension?

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 14:55

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Aug. 05 2013, 15:40)
Tubular Bells 2003, of course!  Give me a few years - I'll find a link!

Tubular Bells II has Sentinel, which I suspect was a name inspired by one of the short stories which acted as a predecessor to 2001 - The Sentinel. There's at least one other Arthur C Clarke influenced title on that album, Sunjammer, which was the original name for a story more commonly known as The Wind from the Sun.

And Tubular Bells was, of course, V2001...
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2013, 14:56

Popping up from under my rock to say thank you for an excellent interview. Amarok 5.1 will be mindblowing.

Interesting to hear there will only be one male singer on the upcoming album, I thought it will be more of a mix like Earthmoving.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2013, 04:37

Quote (equinoxe @ Aug. 03 2013, 09:05)
PS. Also don't have Tubular Beats in my collection, and will never buy it. But...hmm...is this really "Mike Oldfield album"?

Even Mike said in one interview that Tubular Beats is more York's project than his,but for marketing purposes...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
adler Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2013, 11:52

Great interview !
One of the best I read in many years !

Thanks Anil  :)
Profile PM 
36 replies since July 24 2013, 03:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net