Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: And... what about the music...?, (Apart from MCs and remastered versions)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 07:45

I mean, I'm alright about the master of ceremonies and the new re re remastered releases... but folks, what about the music?

Will it sound exactly with the same melodies, will there be any kind of variation, maybe any musical reference of any work in the past (Amarok, Incantations, Voyager or Froggy Went a Courting...) or will it sound exactly the same but with different instruments and sounds? Will he do again the Piltdown Man, will there be any midi bagpipe sound guitars, will there be nasal choir, I don't know how many things more...

I think that's the interesting thing to discuss about now, and if somebody has any new information, would be good to find it here. So let's see, because a grand masterpiece is being recorded again now and I think speculations are very normal about it.

See you chaps.

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 09:43

AFAIR, at one of the recent BBC interviews, Mike said that he mostly looked forward to the re-recording because he doesn't have to write any new music for it.
Considering the different live versions of TB over the years, that'll still leave some room for speculation, I guess...
Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 23 2002, 17:03

I'd imagine we'll be finding slight differences in the arrangement (if only due to the addition of strings), but the plan is certainly to not alter the music in any way apart from that. We'll see what happens...
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2002, 14:31

I almost wish that the music would remain the same. Hitting the same notes in the same time signature. I think this "newer" TB will sound better with the new and updated sound studio, instruments, and better recording features.

Or if he does change the notes around, hopefully it'll still carry the same basic theme to it. For example, in Exposed (where he plays live), the melody and rhythm are a little different, but you can still tell it's Tubular Bells.

As for the piltdown man, i honestly don't know if i want him to do it again, or do something instead. i've never been a big fan of the piltdown man. but then again if he wanted to keep the Newer TB like the original, then perhaps he should keep it in there. Doesn't really matter to me either way.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 04 2002, 15:20

I'd say he ought to keep the piltdown man in there really - it's an integral part of the album, for me, and it wouldn't be the same without it. That said, I wonder if he'll be able to pull it off a second time...
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2002, 05:22

I hope that the album gets plenty of promotion and Mike does a major concert for it - like TB2 and 3!! He'll probably get slagged off for re-doing the album and they'll probably say that it's not as good as the original. Fans opinions will be far more important than biased critics!!
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2002, 14:31

I'm getting unpopular now...
I think we've heard quite enough of that bell now!
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2002, 20:14

The bells! The bells! Keep 'em ringing..I luv 'em!
I share most of the sentiments above....keep same melodies etc.. and time signatures just a better recording quality with instruments in tune. Like Korgscrew I hope Piltdown man doesn't change!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2002, 04:57

Horse, I agree with you. Enough with TB now, as far as I'm concerned. I can live with Mike using the names TB 4,5,... to sell his albums as long as the music is NEW.

After TB I,II,III,TheOrchestralTB, Exposed, Airborne, ... I really am tired of it. Overkill.

But I am still going to buy the new one, because Mike is Mike, and I PRAY that he will change a lot, including simply erasing the piltdown man part. I was funny 73', but COME ON!!! It was a joke, we have heard it, now put something else there; pure music.
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2002, 17:31

Thanx TheMan,
and of course I'm going to buy it too.
This is the 5th TB album in only ten years. TB's good, but now I'd prefer even an Earth Moving two, as long as the music's new.
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 15:39

i would prefer the music remained the same, some subtle changes by chance... like small jewels, but keeping the original taste.
i would have preferred he released something completely new but if what we've got is the re-recording, ok, then i prefer listening to tubular bells without significative changes and including the piltdown man section, and i have some reasons:
first, i can imagine that with the technology he can use now the re-recording is going to give deepness to the original, i'm talking about the richness and clearness of the sounds... could be as cleaning the dust from a painting... if you do that, some colours appear... something like this...
secondly with this release it could be proved his music is "time proof", and tubular bells go beyond time :)
and the third reason is that i could understand he didn't create anything new for tb because it's not the only work he has done recently... i'm thinking about tr3s lunas and what it means... i feel a lot of work there... i know there's many people who disagree but it's an ambitious and wonderful project... trying to create a world for the music...
I repeat that i would have preferred something completely new... but i think that maybe in this time in which he is dealing again with his first work he can hear the recall of the old sounds... ;)... those powerful, long and deep chants of his guitars...
at last, horse, i'm afraid i disagree with u... i wouldn't be glad with a remake of earth moving...    :p

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Horse Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2002, 03:56

I wasn't talking about a remake of Earth Moving... but anyway....
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 26 2002, 07:51

hear the recall of the old sounds... ... those powerful, long and deep chants of his guitars...

we seem to be in agreement with everything, maria lol :)

1 of 2 things can happen with this new recording. either he will totally destroy what Tubular Bells was and just make it like Guitars or MB (not saying they're bad. i like em) where it's just something he makes and hes not relaly into it (ie QE2, Five Miles Out i dont think i need to say that these are just 2 albums that you can tell he was really in to) but that could mean that hes gotten old and doesnt have the energy he once did as a teenager.

or 2, it will reawaken what it was like with all the old energy-filled albums when he does those guitar parts and will inspire him once again to do more albums with great complex themes and amazing progressive climaxes.

i hope the latter comes to pass.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2002, 18:50

This discussion has been rather hypothatically, but now we've been able to hear the first bits from the Echoes interview  :)

I must admit that it sounds better than I expected.

At first I wasn't very keen of the idea of the rerecording but it sounds surprisingly nice.

So now I've got something to look forward to.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 21 2002, 08:51

yes i just heard the short clips from the interview. VERY nice! and not too different...yet better! i loove it!! i WANT it!!! ppl have been skeptical and even iwas starting to wonder but after hearing that i think a lot of ppl will change their minds about the whole idea

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2002, 14:17

I think what we can say with 100% certainty is that he won't capture the atmosphere of the original. I'm affraid I'm one of the many who think that the actual flaws in TB are what make it what it is. Though having heard those bits on the radio I must  admit I'm suprised at how close to the original he's managed to get those guitar sounds to be. I'm still nervous about the use of an orchestra though I've got this nightmare of it ending up sounding like Rick Wakeman.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 21 2002, 17:58

well i guess it all just comes down to weather you like the original tubular bells better or you like the original intention of tubular bells better. im for the intention, but to each his own.

i dont think he'll capture the same atmosphere, but i dont think it will lack in any atmosphere either. i dont think the intention was to capture the same atmosphere anyway. its a different animal, so-to-speak. a different look at the same picture i guess. new experience.

it could really be argued forever about why the origianl is better and shouldnt be tampered with or why Mike's original intentions should be realised instead of a two-bit low quality, out of tune and time "crap" (as mike himself calls it lol), but no one will be convinced on either side so im not gonna start anything

anyway, im gonna go listen to Tubular Bells right now! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 22 2002, 08:30

you know i was thinking and i must say personally that im very grateful for this new rerecording because itll give me a better appreciation of Tubular Bells and cause me to like the original more (because i didnt like the original. even tho i try to listen to it, i cant get used to it no matter how much i try and how much i want to like it). so listening to the re recording with better quality will cause me to like the piece itself a lot more (i always thought that Tubular Bells II was better...maybe partly because of the quality) and it will also cause me to see the beauty of the original recording as well.

so i dont care about anyone else i cant wait for it! i want to hear it the way it was meant to be heard! and after doing that, while im listening to the original i will see the original intentions in it and love both versions a whole lot more!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2002, 00:22

Well, I think, going by the short bits from the radio extract, that it will be very similar. It is almost exactul like the original, and people who love the original really should not be dissapointed.

Any TOBY, who said anything about an orchestra? Sounding like Rick Wakeman isn't a bad thing at all (I like Rick Wakeman) but no-one said anything about an orchestra.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2002, 05:39

I share your concern TOBY - I like the original for all it's flaws; that's what adds a certain charm to the recording. I think that the project runs the risk of becoming an overblown monster of the original recording. And before anyone jumps down my throat for saying that, I did say it was a 'risk' not a definite!

That said, I await it's release with eager anticipation and look forward to comparing the two!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
24 replies since Aug. 23 2002, 07:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net